PDA

View Full Version : If you love coffee

Altaira
17th March 2014, 09:26
Caffeine looks like this when viewed from an electron microscope

http://thumbs.policymic.com/jpxPvdVlZqg593wUOp5OVopY5Xw=/0x0:1024x768/840x0/filters:quality(85):strip_icc(1)/s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpolicymic-images%2F45fa4e635d618b81c8a91ade00081354ac3ec8bf4 067d506cc4d88278e467169.jpg

Coffee consumption has always been controversial and each new study contradicts the previous one. Once they say its really good for you then another researcher claims there are too many side effects to consider so you better try to avoid it. I've always loved coffee and never drunk too much of it as I used to know my own limit over which I get heart palpitations or and low blood sugar, cold sweats and some more negative effects. I personally think that there is a right way to drink coffee which is to drink if enjoy it, to drink coffee because one loves it not because one wants to wake up. This simple rule will help everyone to stay within the safety limits, to avoid the negative effects of over consumption and harmful consequences.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/inarticles/66e48456894b2edfd6996706f9c4653d.png

Here is a very useful article which I found very educational and helps to make your own mind about the coffee.

14 Surprising Facts About Caffeine, Explained by Science

http://www.policymic.com/articles/84925/14-surprising-facts-about-caffeine-explained-by-science

Some extracts from the article :

Once you do take a sip, it takes only 10 minutes or so for the caffeine to kick in.

After as little as 10 minutes, the caffeine concentration in your blood reaches half the maximum concentration, which is enough to have an effect. The caffeine reaches maximum levels, making you most alert, after 45 minutes. Depending on how fast or slow your body's able to break down the drug, you could feel the effects of caffeine for 3 to 5 hours.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/inarticles/58e51271f011d869566688434a303a78.gif

Caffeine is a stimulant to the central nervous system, and like other drugs, regular use of caffeine can cause a mild physical dependence. Caffeine withdrawal is now recognized as a mental disorder. So consume carefully.

In addition to caffeine, there's lots of other stuff in coffee that may be good for your health.
http://thumbs.policymic.com/u8Gy1mgcF4a0jfKFdugyTNMYVfU=/0x0:800x494/filters:quality(85):strip_icc(1)/s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpolicymic-images%2F6f77c6c2ad146985371b97efc33c4b70ec0abfee9 07dd4270670d4802f937e0d.jpg

That's because coffee also contains hundreds of different compounds. These include many antioxidants that protect our bodies from damaging chemicals called "free radicals." These molecules cause aging and are associated with illnesses such as cancer and heart disease. NIH studies show that coffee drinkers have a reduced risk of Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, type 2 diabetes and many other diseases.

There's a caveat: Many coffee drinkers are also heavy smokers, heavy drinkers and red meat eaters, all things that are detrimental to your health. This means that the data above is adjusted for these risk factors, so you should avoid these habits if you want coffee to have a positive effect. Also, the research here isn't conclusive enough to prove a causal relationship, but it's the best data we have so far. Overall, it's encouraging news for coffee lovers!.................

Sooz
17th March 2014, 10:13
I stumbled across this a few days ago:

Putting butter in your coffee! Sounds weird and I haven't tried it yet. But I do love my coffee in the morning and lately I've been having it with a teaspoon of organic cacao powder (real dark chocolate), with a dash of sprinkled cinnamon. Yumski!

Now I would never thought of putting butter in my coffee, but it kind of makes sense - organic, pure butter is a good fat, nice and creamy. And mixed with a little coconut oil as well, what a better way your start your day? Sounds pretty healthy to me. I can't wait to try it...

....and besides it sounds terribly decadent...;)

http://thepaleomama.com/2013/01/i-just-put-butter-in-my-coffee/

(All I need now is to find a healthy bacon recipe and all will be right with the world....:o)

Seikou-Kishi
17th March 2014, 16:59
I've been having hemp seed oil daily Sooz for it's high EFA content and perfect-for-humans ratio of omega 3 and 6 oils, and while it tastes rather nice, it might be a little better to have a way of consuming it that wasn't just oil on a spoon lol.

I don't drink coffee habitually but I've had it before. I don't like the feeling coffee gives me. It makes me feel in disharmony with myself.

Eelco
17th March 2014, 17:45
I live on the stuff. elixer of life as I lovingly call it. freshly brewed with a pinch of cinnamon and no other adjetives... hmmm

yeah i should really drink it a little less.
I think my daily intake is about 1.5 litres.

with love
Eelco

modwiz
17th March 2014, 18:33
I am brewing a nice pot of organic sumatran right now. I drink it black, so butter will not be tried. I'll save my organic butter to slather on my organic 9 grain bread with organic blueberry fruit spread. Tastes good with my coffee.:thup:

lilac
17th March 2014, 18:39
My gallbladder is pretty cross with me these days. I only drink one cuppa/day, but I make sure it's a hummer. I like to use rotating milks, i.e. coconut milk, almond milk or sometimes hemp milk. Recently I discovered a decent alternative called Kick Start! It contains wonderful superfoods. Chaga mushroom, ramon nut, yerba mate, raw cacao, maca root, sarsparilla, guarana, roasted dandelion. Guarana, from Brazil, contains 3 times the amount of caffeine that coffee has. Thanks for this thread - been thinking about this for quite awhile.

jimmer
17th March 2014, 20:17
I make it half decaf and half robust.
if you love the taste, but not the jitters, give it a try.

Sparky
18th March 2014, 03:18
Modwiz I am brewing a nice pot of organic sumatran right now. I drink it black

Me too. Green Mountain is also fair trade.

Lilac
Recently I discovered a decent alternative called Kick Start! It contains wonderful superfoods. Chaga mushroom, ramon nut, yerba mate, raw cacao, maca root, sarsparilla, guarana, roasted dandelion. Guarana, from Brazil, contains 3 times the amount of caffeine that coffee has. Thanks for this thread - been thinking about this for quite awhile.

Where do you buy it...or are you mixing your own mate?https://d1w116sruyx1mf.cloudfront.net/ee-assets/channels/cdd_default/image2_103.jpg

Altaira
18th March 2014, 07:48
Some of you mentioned they drink decaffeinated coffee. I was rather dubious about this because the extraction method involves chemicals which are not safe at all. Just saw a little article about it.

The earliest commercial decaffeination process involved steaming coffee beans in a salt water solution and then soaking them in the toxic chemical benzene to dissolve the caffeine.

Due to health concerns, benzene has now been replaced in the "direct method" with different toxic chemicals, ethyl acetate or methylene chloride. Since ethyl acetate can be derived from fruits and vegetables, this coffee is often advertised as "naturally decaffeinated!"

In the "indirect method," also known as the "water method," the beans are soaked in water, treated with ethyl acetate or methylene chloride and then re-soaked in the same water to reabsorb essential oils.

One toxin-free decaffeination process is the "charcoal method," which is similar to the water method but uses a charcoal filter rather than chemical solvents to remove the caffeine. The "carbon dioxide" method, in which beans are steamed and soaked in carbonated water, also uses a carbon filter.

Other toxin-free decaffeination methods are the "Swiss water" and "trigylceride" processes. Most coffee companies and retailers will share information about their decaffeination processes upon request, so make sure you ask what method they use before drinking their coffee.
http://www.naturalnews.com/044327_coffee_decaffeination_chemical_solvents.htm l

BabaRa
18th March 2014, 16:41
I am brewing a nice pot of organic sumatran right now. I drink it black, so butter will not be tried. I'll save my organic butter to slather on my organic 9 grain bread with organic blueberry fruit spread. Tastes good with my coffee.:thup:

Sounds yummy - when do you want us all over for breakfast. Name the date, we'll all be there - right gang!

But I'm with Sooz, find some organic bacon (I have always said I must have been Jewish in my last life and denied pork, and am making up for it in this life). Oh, and I do need organic milk/cream in my coffee as well.

Eelco
18th March 2014, 16:53
Yup I'll come. some grainy porridge and fresh fruits there? been eating that for breakfast since retreat.

with love
Eelco

Altaira
30th March 2015, 22:25
THis is smal bit of a thorough article about how good oe bad coffee can be. There is a lot of useful information and those who love coffee will be delighted.

Coffee Contains Some Essential Nutrients and is Extremely High in Antioxidants
Coffee is more than just dark brown water… many of the nutrients in the coffee beans do make it into the drink.

A typical 8oz (240 ml) cup of coffee contains (1):

Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin): 11% of the RDA.
Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid): 6% of the RDA.
Vitamin B1 (Thiamin): 2% of the RDA.
Vitamin B3 (Niacin): 2% of the RDA.
Folate: 1% of the RDA.
Manganese: 3% of the RDA.
Potassium: 3% of the RDA.
Magnesium: 2% of the RDA.
Phosphorus: 1% of the RDA.

This may not seem like a lot, but try multiplying with 3, 4, or however many cups you drink per day. It can add up to a significant portion of your daily nutrient intake.

But where coffee really shines is in its high content of antioxidants.

The average person who eats a typical Western diet actually gets more antioxidants from coffee than fruits and vegetables… combined (2, 3).

Bottom Line: Coffee contains a small amount of some vitamins and minerals, which add up if you drink many cups per day. It is also high in antioxidants.

Should You be Drinking Coffee?

There are some people who would definitely want to avoid or severely limit coffee consumption, especially pregnant women.

People with anxiety issues, high blood pressure or insomnia might also want to try limiting coffee for a while to see if it helps.

There is also some evidence that people who metabolize caffeine slowly have an increased risk of heart attacks from drinking coffee (44).

All that being said… it does seem clear that for the average person, coffee can have important beneficial effects on health.

If you don’t already drink coffee, then I don’t think these benefits are a compelling reason to start doing it. There are downsides as well.

But if you already drink coffee and you enjoy it, then the benefits appear to far outweigh the negatives.

I personally drink coffee, every day… about 4-5 cups (sometimes more). My health has never been better.

Take Home Message
It’s important to keep in mind that many of the studies in the article are observational studies, which can not prove that coffee caused the beneficial effects.

But given that the effects are strong and consistent among studies, it is a fairly strong indicator that coffee does in fact play a role.

Despite having been demonized in the past, the evidence points to coffee being very healthy… at least for the majority of people.

http://authoritynutrition.com/coffee-good-or-bad/

Ledstar
31st March 2015, 04:06
I just had my night cup of road warrior blend, helps me sleep. Rocket espresso in the mornin gets me rollin...Coffee...:thup: gotta have it.

Elbie
31st March 2015, 05:15
I just had my night cup of road warrior blend, helps me sleep. Rocket espresso in the mornin gets me rollin...Coffee...:thup: gotta have it.

once you go black, you never look back.

i love coffee, except instants. one time only i got affected badly which gave me a nasty headache in the late afternoon ..it's when i forgot, had no time to brew.

other than that, i suffer no ill effects whatsoever..i could have a double esspresso after (late) dinner and go to sleep happily.. great tonic.
:tea:

Altaira
31st March 2015, 05:33
Have a lovely day
http://www.sharegif.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/coffee-gif10.gif

I love my morning coffee black with nothing added :) :tea:

mocha
31st March 2015, 05:42

So true...

mocha
31st March 2015, 05:57
I stumbled across this a few days ago:

Putting butter in your coffee! Sounds weird and I haven't tried it yet. But I do love my coffee in the morning and lately I've been having it with a teaspoon of organic cacao powder (real dark chocolate), with a dash of sprinkled cinnamon. Yumski!

Now I would never thought of putting butter in my coffee, but it kind of makes sense - organic, pure butter is a good fat, nice and creamy. And mixed with a little coconut oil as well, what a better way your start your day? Sounds pretty healthy to me. I can't wait to try it...

....and besides it sounds terribly decadent...;)

Iʻve tried it and can say that it IS good with butter, coconut oil or both. Go for it! A lot of people like the Irish Kerrygold, but I found a German butter from pasture raised cows that is delish :)

Sooz
31st March 2015, 06:51
I tried going black, but it's not for me. Need a little milk to change the pms colour (graphic designers will 'get me' on that).

Got me a very cute Nespresso machine. They have the most divine coffee pods, all types of 'crus'. I only have one cup a day, a short one, but strong. And that is enough for me. It makes my day.

I only like mine at around 12 midday, for brekky I have my green smoothy. But by midday I'm ready for a booster shot.:winner:

*Pantone Matching System used in graphic design.

Edit: Not pre menstrual syndrome, lol....

Seikou-Kishi
31st March 2015, 07:57
Is the butter claimed to provide some sort of health benefit?

Stoat muldoon
31st March 2015, 08:24
I don't mind putting this place on here , the smell when they're roasting the beans is amazing . The shop was established 1837 and has been pumping out the smell of heaven ever since . You want to know about coffee this is the place to look .

Disclaimer I have no affiliation whatsoever , but I do drink their brews :tea:

https://www.thecoffeehopper.com/

Elbie
31st March 2015, 08:26
Is the butter claimed to provide some sort of health benefit?

in short, a healthy body is not able to function without cholesterol..it's necessary for brain&nervous system function.

make that butter organic and enjoy .

like with anything, moderation is advised.

Seikou-Kishi
31st March 2015, 13:09
in short, a healthy body is not able to function without cholesterol..it's necessary for brain&nervous system function.

make that butter organic and enjoy .

like with anything, moderation is advised.

Thanks Elbie. I'm not unaware of the benefits of the cholesterol (A hefty lump of the brain's solid matter is cholesterol). I was thinking specifically about the combination of the butter with the coffee

Elbie
31st March 2015, 19:46
Thanks Elbie. I'm not unaware of the benefits of the cholesterol (A hefty lump of the brain's solid matter is cholesterol). I was thinking specifically about the combination of the butter with the coffee

don't know about the benefits of that combo..coffee and cream/butter, clotted cream..why not.

i know however that coffee with sugar becomes somethig else.. stops to have its' good benefits and starts to induce excitedness..

i only ever have it sugar free..

PurpleLama
31st March 2015, 22:38
https://www.bulletproofexec.com/how-to-make-your-coffee-bulletproof-and-your-morning-too/

Altaira
31st March 2015, 22:50
There is a bit of a discussion at the moment about the benefits of the so called bulletproof coffee which is coffee with grassfed butter and MCT. I personally think this is the latest hype but there is no harm in having it from time to time.
Here is some info.

What is Bulletproof Coffee?
Bulletproof Coffee (BPC) is actually a recipe.
In essence, it’s a combination of coffee, grass-fed butter, and medium-chain triglyceride (MCT) oil.
(Some people even add nootropics — cognitive enhancement supplements or drugs — to the mix.)
Of course, with Bulletproof Coffee, not just any coffee will do. You can’t just pull out your ol’ Dunkin’ Donuts or Tim Hortons blend and think it’ll work. Remember — hackers gotta be optimal.
So they fancy things up with so-called Upgraded™ Coffee. (Yes, that’s trademarked.)
For starters, Upgraded™ Coffee promoters claim it improves energy, mood, productivity and overall health… much more than regular old coffee.
And also unlike regular coffee, Upgraded™ Coffee is supposedly mycotoxin-free. (We’ll explain that idea more in a minute.)
OK, so you take super-duper coffee, then add grass-fed, unsalted butter and MCT oil. Now you’ve got Bulletproof Coffee. This is next-level Space Age stuff right here.
Here’s the recipe:

2 cups (500 ml) of black Upgraded™ Coffee
2 tbsp (30 ml) of unsalted grass-fed butter (or more, up to 80 grams of butter)
2 tbsp (30 ml) of MCT oil

Blend (ideally in a high-speed blender) until the oil emulsifies and it looks like a latte
Bulletproof Coffee fans claim that it’s satisfying, kills hunger, eliminates jitters often caused by high caffeine intake, and keeps drinkers humming all day.
Do these claims pan out?
Time to explore.
First, I’ll look at what the research says about coffee, mycotoxins, saturated fat and MCTs. Then I’ll try some Bulletproof Coffee myself...............http://www.precisionnutrition.com/bulletproof-coffee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DZEsEut6FY

http://authoritynutrition.com/3-reasons-why-bulletproof-coffee-is-a-bad-idea/

citsym
1st April 2015, 08:15
I love my Vietnamese Coffee in the morning ...MMMM

https://i1.wp.com/farm6.static.flickr.com/5008/5358446007_8efba064ca.jpg

Amanda
3rd May 2015, 05:52
I drink mountain grown coffee - not instant. I have periods of time where I do not drink coffee which means I can compare the differences in my health. I do not think that coffee impacts in a negative way on my physical health but I think I can live without it if I have to.

When looking at options for the final subject of my BA I noticed a topic that gave me the option of studying Coffee (History). Firstly I learned that printed historical resources were virtually not available due ot the dearth of study. The origins of coffee cannot be agreed upon but the available information seems to flow back to Africa/Middle East - where goat/sheep herders discovered that the animals would eat the berry and then exhibit what appeared to be excess energy. Soon after the people discovered the same effects and the rest is history as they say....

Love a coffee but I can live without it....only if I have to though....

Shadowself
3rd May 2015, 14:59
http://i62.tinypic.com/j13d6o.jpg

http://i60.tinypic.com/fb2o7.jpg

Energyflux2012
4th May 2015, 19:15
(sorry this post got bugged)

Energyflux2012
4th May 2015, 19:16
Cacao may work to smoothen out the effects of the coffee and gives a more wholesome experience. My brother has done this many times. Personally, I like to enjoy cacao in a milkshake :).