PDA

View Full Version : Koch Brothers Takes $88 Million in Corporate Welfare

BabaRa
10th March 2014, 19:24
The height of hypocrisy. Those who holler the loudest about individual welfare, have their hands deep in the cookie jar.

Koch Brothers likes to champion themselves as crusaders against the welfare state. But a new report shows that they took $88 million of your taxpayer dollars while demanding that governments stop wasting taxpayer dollars. In total, $110 billion goes out to corporate welfare projects from state and local authorities. This does not even include money coming from federal sources.

Entitled “Subsidizing the Corporate One Percent,” the report from the taxpayer watchdog group Good Jobs First shows that the world’s largest companies aren’t models of self-sufficiency and unbridled capitalism. To the contrary, they’re propped up by billions of dollars in welfare payments from state and local governments.
Such subsidies might be a bit more defensible if they were being doled out in a way that promoted upstart entrepreneurialism. But as the study also shows, a full “three-quarters of all the economic development dollars awarded and disclosed by state and local governments have gone to just 965 large corporations”—not to the small businesses and startups that politicians so often pretend to care about.

In dollar figures, that’s a whopping $110 billion going to big companies. Fortune 500 firms alone receive more than 16,000 subsidies at a total cost of $63 billion.

Both in dollar terms and number of awards. In dollar terms, the biggest recipient by far is

Boeing, with a total of more than $13 billion, reflecting the giant deals it has gotten in Washington and South Carolina as well as more than 130 smaller deals around the country.

The others at the top of the cumulative subsidy dollar list are:

Alcoa ($5.6 billion), Intel ($3.9 billion), General Motors ($3.5 billion) and Ford Motor ($2.5 billion).
And Dow Chemical has the highest number of awards.

The company with the largest number of awards is Dow Chemical, with 416. Following it are Berkshire Hathaway (310), General Motors (307), Wal-Mart Stores (261), General Electric (255), Walgreen (225) and FedEx (222). Fortyeight companies have received more than 100 individual awards.

sandy
11th March 2014, 02:15
That is why I dont shop at wal mart or big box stores, dont have a cell phone and only a land line, no wifi, stopped flying 3 years ago, have had my last 3 vehicles for a minimum of 10 years each, drive as little as possible, conserve energy and water as much as possible, shop online rarely , shop locally, grow food, and bank at local Credit Union for personal needs, etc............................

We need to stop feeding the beast in every way we can and show others that life can be simple and beautiful without all of the above. I love my life even if those around me think I am weird for the stance I have taken in life :)

Seikou-Kishi
17th March 2014, 04:50
The actual corporate subsidy is much bigger. Plenty of people who use some form of welfare are people working jobs, often households with two (low) earning parents receive some form of welfare. This is a corporate subsidy, because it is the state paying to fill the gap created by insufficient wages. If companies were forced to pay a living wage, that would cut out all those people from the welfare state. If these were coupled with laws with strict employment regulations (such as prohibiting zero-hours contracts), companies would have no choice but to comply. The argument that minimum wages or minimum wage increases work against the interests of the common man is laughable. Give corporations an inch and they'll take a yard should teach people not even to give them an inch rather than to surrender everything to them in the hope that their insatiable greed will be satiated. The clue's in the name; it will never be satiated.