PDA

View Full Version : 6.9 Earthquake off Northern California just hit ...

Calz
10th March 2014, 05:52
Magnitude Mw 6.9
Region OFFSHORE NORTHERN CALIFORNIA
Date time 2014-03-10 05:18:14.0 UTC
Location 40.73 N ; 124.92 W
Depth 10 km

http://www.emsc-csem.org/Earthquake/earthquake.php?id=363980

Sparky
10th March 2014, 06:38
BabaRa, please check in. We are concerned and praying for everyone's safety.

Calz
10th March 2014, 06:42
BabaRa, please check in. We are concerned and praying for everyone's safety.

This one doesn't appear to have caused any problems ...

Magnitude-6.9 Quake Strikes off Northern California

A magnitude-6.9 earthquake struck off the coast of Northern California Sunday night, the U.S. Geological Service reported.

The epicenter was 48 miles west-northwest of Ferndale and 50 miles west of Eureka at a depth of 4.3 miles, the USGS said.

The quake, which occurred at 10:18 p.m. PT, was initially reported as magnitude 6.1 on the Richter scale, but seismologists revised it upward to 6.9.

The Humboldt County Sheriff's Department, which oversees most of the nearby populated areas, said it had received no calls about damage or injuries, the AP reported.

The probability of a "strong and possibly damaging aftershock" of magnitude 5.0 or greater in the next seven days was 90 percent, the USGS warned, adding that there was a 5 percent to 10 percent of another quake as large as or larger than the initial one in the next week.

No destructive tsunami was expected, and no tsunami advisory was issued, The West Coast/Alaska and Pacific Tsunami Warning Centers said.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/magnitude-6-9-quake-strikes-northern-california-n48676

Sooz
10th March 2014, 06:48
Cripes! You know the measurement for earthquakes has been downgraded, so it's probably higher.

Nevertheless, 6.9 is quite a biggy.

This was Sunday night? It's Monday evening here now in Oz and nothing is showing up.

Yes, BabaRa, let us know you are OK.

Calz
10th March 2014, 06:54
Cripes! You know the measurement for earthquakes has been downgraded, so it's probably higher.

Neverthless, 6.9 is quite a biggy.

This was Sunday night? It's Monday evening here now in Oz and nothing is showing up.

Yes, BabaRa, let us know you are OK.

Hey Sooz,

It was about an hour and a half ago.

No tsunami warning and at least as of now no reports of damage or injury.

Yes BabaRa came to mind as soon as the USGS message came out and that is why I started the thread.

No idea how close she lives to the ocean but I am sure she is fine.

Sooz
10th March 2014, 06:59
OK, going to be watching this and praying.

I hope this is not the start of a spate of them. You know how it goes.

BabaRa
10th March 2014, 18:34
Thanks for thinking of me .... I'm fine - didn't even feel it in my area. I'm inland between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe.

Here are a few of the witnesses descriptions that were in Eureka, which is 69 miles from epicenter.

#1 It didn't damage anything that we know of here but it wasn't violent it seemed like just rolling but it lasted so long. I jumped out of bed and ran to my kids room and had time to grab them and then sat there and it was still rolling.

#2 It lasted what seemed like a long time and progressively got stronger. The house rattled and shook quite a bit but amazingly nothing fell and the power didn't go out like the one of about the same size.

#3 The dogs knew first...the were glued to me right before I felt it

Note: the Area where it hit is a fairly active fault. Not uncommon for 3 to high 4 earthquakes. 6.9 is huge - surprised there was no damage.