PDA

View Full Version : The Distorted Looking Glass

BabaRa
8th March 2014, 23:12
Something to consider here:

The following is by:Neal Rogin who is a multi-award winning writer and filmmaker whose work has reached millions of people around the world. He is also the co-author of several critically acclaimed books.

Once upon a time there was a powerful queen, who gave birth to a beautiful daughter. Every day the little girl grew more beautiful, and every day the queen became more threatened. One day, the queen handed her daughter a distorted looking glass. Even though the exquisite little girl grew more beautiful each day, she thought herself to be ugly and worthless. And the queen remained in power.

That distorted looking glass is our media, reflecting back to us an inaccurate image of who we are as a species. Each day — for 24 hours a day — our television sets and mobile devices show us a world full of crime and conflict, madness and mayhem, helplessness and heartache, as commentators and pundits recite the litany of human failures we have come to call the news. “Here is what went wrong today, about which you can do nothing. Have a good evening.” No wonder we hear ourselves say things like “I’m only human” and harbor a deep abiding sense of shame about who we are, a sense that we are somehow flawed, that we alone are the one sour note in the symphony of creation. When nothing could be further from the truth.

We are in fact a miraculously complex and sophisticated conglomeration of electrical, chemical, mechanical and lyrical elements, a million trillion separate parts that somehow automatically cooperate to orchestrate our ability to not just walk and talk, but even more amazing, to dance and sing. We are discovering that we are in fact an end result of 13.7 billion years evolutionary process, that is ever unfolding in complexity and sophistication, a grand and great happening beginning to awaken to its own existence.

As oblivious as we are to the miracle that we are, we have, even in our slumber, managed to cobble together an edifice, a civilization that over the centuries has created safety and security for increasing numbers of human beings. Sure, life still sucks for way too many of us, but when you look at the trend, you have to admit it’s getting better. So take heart fellow human. We are starting to employ our genius to create technologies that are at last a looking glass of true reflection, and the beautiful princess is about to see herself in all her glory.

GCS1103
8th March 2014, 23:30
I love your post, BabaRa.

Sparky
9th March 2014, 03:12
So take heart fellow human. We are starting to employ our genius to create technologies that are at last a looking glass of true reflection, and the beautiful princess is about to see herself in all her glory.

And that is exactly how I see your reflection in my looking glass, BabaRa. Thank you for your contributions yesterday and especially today for the reminder for me to tell you.

Calabash
9th March 2014, 10:59
What a lovely thing to say Sparky - and your sentiments are supported and echoed by me. BabaRa, you are a great contributor and wonderful asset to this forum. We are blessed - thank you . . . . :)

KosmicKat
9th March 2014, 13:05
That distorted looking glass is our media, reflecting back to us an inaccurate image of who we are as a species. Each day — for 24 hours a day — our television sets and mobile devices show us a world full of crime and conflict, madness and mayhem, helplessness and heartache, as commentators and pundits recite the litany of human failures we have come to call the news.

Have you noticed what popular entertainment shows the sheeple? Going back as far as shows like "The A-Team", "Streethawk" and "Knight Rider" there is an underlying current of "the bad guys are too powerful for the law to touch them but a fictional vigilante can take them down". I was looking at some of the more recent ones as well, "Dexter" follows essentially the same pattern.

I take it as an indication that the powers that were are becoming increasingly worried about international demands for justice since "Crossing Lines" is a new arrival on the scene, a drama about an international crime-busting team.

The way I see it, these dramas are intended to work on two levels:

a pacifier to suck on - "in an ideal world, this is how you would solve it ..."
undermining faith in new discoveries of the changes that are under way; "this is what you've found, but it's really only entertainment. It's not something for the real world."

The tissue of lies is getting more tenuous with every passing day!

BabaRa
9th March 2014, 18:07
Thank you all - for your compliments AND your contributions.

I believe that everyone contributing in a kind and respectful way is bringing out the best in all of us.

Less bickering amongst ourselves = More time for contemplation and research = growth and moving forward (or up, however you perceive it).