PDA

View Full Version : A Quarter of Americans Think the Sun Orbits the Earth

skywizard
24th February 2014, 18:08
http://i.livescience.com/images/i/000/050/798/original/ISS-sunrise-130522.jpg?1369237204

Jeff Nesbit was the director of public affairs for two prominent federal science agencies. This article was adapted from one that first appeared in U.S. News & World Report. Nesbit contributed the article to Live Science's Expert Voices: Op-Ed & Insights.

The Earth revolves around the sun. Really, it does. I know it may not seem that way because the sun appears to move across the sky each and every day, from east to west. It disappears into the ocean, and then rises again in the east the next day. But we're the ones doing the moving in orbit around the sun — not the other way around.

If you believe that (or, more accurately, know that), then good for you — you got one of the 10 correct answers on the National Science Foundation's public science-literacy test released recently.

When I worked at NSF, I used to think this sort of basic science test survey was a bit silly and simplistic. People spend years in school learning basic science stuff. Who doesn't know the Earth orbits the sun and not the other way around?

Apparently a quarter of the American population, that's who.

It turns out 26 percent of us in America think the sun is moving around the Earth, and we're just rooted in place here on Earth watching it sweep across the sky, a recent public survey using the NSF science-literacy test found. Never mind those silly scientists telling us otherwise. A quarter of us can see the sun moving. We're not moving. The sun is. :hmm:

Read full story at the source below... interesting read.

Source: http://www.livescience.com/43593-americans-ignorant-about-science.html

peace...
skywizard

Wolf Khan
25th February 2014, 01:30
always thought the sheeple were idiots, now I know they are stupid. LOL

Chickadee
25th February 2014, 01:37
Oh boy!

modwiz
25th February 2014, 02:19
Well, maybe if they could have googled it.:rolleyes:

Knowing 'stuff' is just sooo 20th century.