PDA

View Full Version : Computers to outsmart humans by 2029

skywizard
24th February 2014, 16:58
http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/images/news_large/news-computer-parts.jpg
Google's Ray Kurzweil has claimed that within 15 years we will be interacting with intelligent computers.

Computers and robots will be more intelligent than humans and will be able to learn from experience, crack jokes and even flirt, within 15 years, Google's top expert in artificial intelligence predicts.*

Ray Kurzweil, Google's director of engineering, has predicted that by 2029, computers will be cleverer than humans and will be able to understand what we say and tell stories.*

Kurzweil, who invented devices such as flatbed scanners, computer programmes that could recognize a typeface, and text-to-speech synthesizers, is known for making bold predictions. In 1990 Kurzweil predicted that a computer would defeat a world chess champion by 1998 (in 1997, IBM's Deep Blue defeated Garry Kasparov), and he also predicted the future prominence of Internet.*

Kurzweil, 66, is recognized by technologists for popularizing the idea of "the singularity" - the moment in the future when men and machines will supposedly converge. For years Kurzweil has been saying that the Turing test - the moment at which a computer will exhibit intelligent behavior equivalent to that of a human - will be passed in 2029.*

"Today, I'm pretty much at the median of what artificial intelligence (AI) experts think and the public is kind of with them," he told 'The Observer'. "The public has seen things like Siri [the iPhone's voice-recognition technology], where you talk to a computer. They've seen the Google self-driving cars. My views are not radical anymore," he added.*

Google hired Kurzweil at the end of 2012 to work on the company's next breakthrough: an artificially intelligent search engine that knows us better than we know ourselves. Kurzweil said he is helping to bring natural language understanding to Google.*

"My project is ultimately to base search on really understanding what the language means," he said. "When you write an article, you're not creating an interesting collection of words. You have something to say and Google is devoted to intelligently organizing and processing the world's information.*

"The message in your article is information, and the computers are not picking up on that. So we would want them to read everything on the web and every page of every book, then be able to engage in intelligent dialogue with the user to be able to answer their questions," he added.

Source: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/news-by-industry/et-cetera/computers-will-outsmart-humans-by-2029-expert/articleshow/30944733.cms

peace...
skywizard

Mark
24th February 2014, 18:19
Hmmm, hardly surprising I cannot beat my old calculator!

KosmicKat
25th February 2014, 11:54
This is going to raise questions we have managed to avoid so far.

Unless computers at that level have some autonomous control, how will they feel about being powered down? Will they feel?

Will their intelligence be comparable to our own or will the algorithms governing them be based on more sophisticated forms of previous feedback mechanisms? If an idiot talks idiocy to a computer, will it answer him with convincing idiocy?

Will the new computers have the potential to become surrogate parents? or even gods?

25th February 2014, 12:44
This is going to raise questions we have managed to avoid so far.

Unless computers at that level have some autonomous control, how will they feel about being powered down? Will they feel?

Will their intelligence be comparable to our own or will the algorithms governing them be based on more sophisticated forms of previous feedback mechanisms? If an idiot talks idiocy to a computer, will it answer him with convincing idiocy?

Will the new computers have the potential to become surrogate parents? or even gods?

Totally valid points. In the words of Alan Carr with reference to self service checkouts: "Well until they learn to tell the difference between a packet of ginger nuts and a Bella magazine I'll sleep quite soundly thank you!"