PDA

View Full Version : Ukraine protesters seize parliament power; president still missing

BabaRa
23rd February 2014, 22:06
Transitioning Ukraine caught in East-West tug of war

US warns Russia against intervention

Ukraine's new interim president pledged to put the country back on course for European integration now Moscow-backed Viktor Yanukovich had been ousted, while the United States warned Russia against sending in its forces.

As rival neighbors east and west of the former Soviet republic said a power vacuum in Kiev must not lead to the country breaking apart, acting president Oleksander Turchynov said on Sunday that Ukraine's new leadership wanted relations with Russia on a "new, equal and good-neighborly footing that recognizes and takes into account Ukraine's European choice."

A day after Yanukovich fled to an unknown location in the Russian-speaking east following dozens of deaths during street protests aimed at toppling him, parliament named new speaker Turchynov as interim head of state. An ally of the ousted leader's long jailed rival Yulia Tymoshenko, he aims to swear in a government by Tuesday that can provide authority until a presidential election on May 25.

With battle-hardened, pro-Western protesters in control of central Kiev and determined to hold their leaders to account, lawmakers rushed through decisions to cement their power, display their rejection of rampant corruption and bring to book officials who ordered police to fire on Independence Square.

But whoever takes charge as interim prime minister faces a huge challenge to satisfy popular expectations and will find an economy in deep crisis, even if the EU makes good on new offers of aid that may help make up for loans that Russia has frozen.

Scuffles in Russian-speaking Crimea and some eastern cities between supporters of the new, pro-EU order in Kiev and those anxious to stay close to Moscow revived fears of separatism that a week earlier were focused on the west, where Ukrainian nationalists had disowned Yanukovich and proclaimed self-rule.

Russian news agency Interfax reported Moscow had recalled its ambassador to Ukraine for consultation.

Secretary of State John Kerry and Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov agreed on the need to resolve the situation without violence when they spoke by phone Saturday afternoon, the State Department said in a statement.

Kerry "expressed the importance of encouraging Ukraine to move forward on a path towards constitutional change, de-escalation, the creation of a coalition government, early elections and rejection of violence," the State Department said in a description of the call.

Kerry “also underscored the United States' expectation that Ukraine's sovereignty, territorial integrity and democratic freedom of choice will be respected by all states."

Al Jazeera and wire services

modwiz
23rd February 2014, 22:27
Like the 'Russian Revolution' and French, it is outside interested agitators who foment unrest and supply money and supplies to the 'revolutionaries'.

However, the majority do not know this and seem to not care. Those who are clueless about the past will walk into a clueless future.

"The doom of men, is that they forget". Merlin.

Oh, Merlin, these ones never knew and do not want to know. That knowledge will fall into their lap at some point and then it will get interesting. Although it may not be pretty.

Seikou-Kishi
23rd February 2014, 23:17
Lol. "US warns Russia against intervention".

The most interventionist country in history is warning another country against intervention. What it means is that the US doesn't want its interference interfered with.

modwiz
24th February 2014, 07:09
A little op-ed piece here. Based on reading various sources hither and thither on the web. Here, my opinion editorial.

http://cdn.thedailybeast.com/content/dailybeast/articles/2014/02/23/yulia-tymoshenko-she-s-no-angel/jcr:content/image.crop.800.500.jpg/1393164639584.cached.jpg

Yulia Tymoshenko is a name we should know, IMO. She was freed from prison (from a hospital) on 2/22. The protesters claim her as one of theirs. She was not in the plans of the fomenters of this situation. As evidenced by the previously 'annointed' not being in her coterie when the cameras were on her after her release. They were not off camera either. They were curiously missing.:scrhd:

This is a wild card for the EU and its Ukrainian sympathizers but, especially for the recipients and dispersers of upward to five billion dollars that Nuland (Miss potty mouth) spoke of being "invested" in regime change in Kiev. Yulia Tymoshenko was in prison until two days ago. Now she is out and being hailed as the next possible president.:shocked::ok:

Yulia is no saint and the fact that she is a gas oligarch is not why she isn't a saint but, none of that applies here in realpolitik. The people love her and her being a gas oligarch coincidently finds her on good terms with Vladimir Putin. They've done business in the past. The release of this woman is curious.:hmm:

This is an amazing chess match to watch. Moving faster than some of those Chess Grandmaster tournaments.:ha:

Yulia Tymoshenko. Not just another released prisoner.

This article got me looking for others.
http://www.veteranstoday.com/2014/02/22/ukraine-wildcard-is-yulia-tymoshenko/

BabaRa
24th February 2014, 18:19
Lol. "US warns Russia against intervention".

The most interventionist country in history is warning another country against intervention. What it means is that the US doesn't want its interference interfered with.

Exactly!

As for Yulia Tymoshenk, yes she previously brokered a deal with Russia. Good or bad? . . . whoever is in power is going to either broker deals with the West or Russia - that's what it's all about, you're right.

But which is best for the people? . . my suspicion is Russia . . . Russia is, I believe, more financially stable; connecting with the EU will only bring them into the mess of the euro. Also, from things I've read and videos I've watched (will try to find a few), most seem to believe that Putin cares about Russia at a deep level. While I don't believe most leader/politicians in the West give a damn about their countries; they are completely fixated on money/power.

Yes, I know Putin, ex KGB guy, etc., and a foxy/in my mind clever politician, but caring about one's country vs. not giving a damn about anything but money, wins out for me.

Also, I believe the power is shifting every so slowly - and sometimes quite obviously to the Eastern Hemisphere.

Seikou-Kishi
24th February 2014, 19:52
Connecting with the EU would be nothing but trouble for the Ukraine. It's been nothing but trouble for everybody else lol.

BabaRa
25th February 2014, 20:06
So, is the following headline like: Country For Sale!

With no new government in place, country faces separatist rumblings and needs billions in aid to stabilize economy

For complete story: http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/2/25/formation-of-newukrainiangovernmentdelayed.html

jimmer
25th February 2014, 22:43
unless this new coalition has the
military on their side, with beefed-up security,
they are all sitting pigeons, awaiting putin's rath.
maybe not massive armed retaliation.
could be sneaky deaths, poisonings, you know, real KGB stuff.
those freedom fighters are what you'd call, brave.