PDA

View Full Version : The TOT Music Creation Thread

Highland1
21st February 2014, 21:44
Hello lovely creative people, after an inspirational idea born in the tent, some of us think it would be a good idea to perhaps try something
unique and creative allowing members to come together and create some music together.
You do not have to have any background experience playing any instruments because you are all creative writers to begin with.
Some songwriters begin writing a story using lyrics, others just write instrumental pieces allowing others to write words afterwards.
There is no right or wrong way to make music so literally anyone can contribute in any way even if it is just a simple idea.
However, there are some very talented musicians already in the forum who will already be aware of the logistics that goes in to song creation.
So how do we start?
Clearly we are all uniquely different in many aspects especially in music tastes, but the one thing we have in common is our quest to learn the truth.
What better way to share what we have learned using the universal language of music itself?
Already in the tent, some members have started jotting down some lovely lyrics that perhaps can be used so it was thought best to start a thread where we can encompass all these ideas together and of course find ease of access to the suggested material.
Purple Lama suggested that we initially keep this thread members only mods until we are ready to unleash some musical truth into the universe!
Okay so this may take quite a little while to get going because there may be many ideas that may need a different type of instrumental backing.
So initially, might I suggest lyric ideas from those of you who wish to participate?
You might want to write something to help people wake up?
You might want to write about Tesla or Cayce,or about love and all its beauty, its all up to you, please feel free to be creative as you wish ....because you are all free spirits!
For the experienced instrumentalists in the forum, and there are quite a few, 777, Modwiz, Tribe and John Parslow to name just a couple, if you want to contribute any original instrumental or percussional score to this thread then that would be also fantastic.

So far I would like to cut and paste some lyrics that Fred, Ronin and BabaRa have already penned in the tent:

(a) ronin
I woke this morning
Opened my eyes for the very first time .
Perception overload,
geometric shapes above.
Colors that spoke of love,
A frequency change in me.
My life has now begun.

But going where
I know not, nor care
Simply watching and waiting
What next will appear

(b) Fred
I woke this morning to find I wasn't there
The journey had begun, for which I'd not prepared
Who was the stranger, lying in my bed?
Quite rumpled and fuzzy
calling himself - Fred!

(c)
Begin your own or continue with one above.

Get the idea?

So folks, here we have a wonderful opportunity to go on a journey together so lets see where it takes us.
Finally there is no monetary agenda behind this idea, this is purely and simply a chance to see what we can create together working in harmony.

Drum roll........let the show begin!

Russ

modwiz
21st February 2014, 21:55
Starting this thread was the way to go, Russ. I see a lot of support for the idea.

Fred Steeves
21st February 2014, 22:04
(b) Fred
Who was the stranger, lying in my bed?
Quite rumpled and fuzzy
calling himself - Fred!

Nicely done Russ, could prove interesting. Not that I was really all that serious with mine, but you never know. For the record though my original couple of lines are right below, as Barbara had kindly added the feminine touch after words. It was quite a nice little addition too, just a little too much like something the lovely Mrs. Steeves might come up with LOL.

Seikou-Kishi
21st February 2014, 22:07
Russ, if you agreed with PurpleLama's idea, and it seems that you did, why didn't you put it in the member's only section? Every other section is available to non-members.

As for music, I look forward to appreciating everybody's contributions, but I think I'll decline any of my own... my music taste is a little too eccentric to be of any use in this endeavour lol.

Calabash
21st February 2014, 22:14
Hi'all - all songs need a chorus . . . maybe something like:
" Cos I realise:
There’s no need to bleed, no need to feel any pain
You always get another chance to do it all again
Once you get the hang of it you’ll never be the same
Are you listening to me brothers, we live again and again"

Hey - this is FUN! :)

Suggested titles:
Visions
The loosh went whoosh (sorry :)
Hidden in plain sight
Life is just a game
The ride of your life

Just thinking aloud . . . . I bet Calz would be great at this!

john parslow
21st February 2014, 22:17
By the look of the lyrics thus far, it sounds like this could become a classic Blues track. Shame I don't have a keyboard here, could add some notation and leave the chord pattern to young Russ - A great idea by the way. JP

Highland1
21st February 2014, 22:18
Thanks Modz, I forgot to add that some members might wonder how they can contribute their voice or instruments to a song idea.
There are many recording platforms that are relatively intuitively simple to use to get a basic idea recorded for others to hear.
There may even be free versions of sound forge or similar on the internet for members to experiment with?
I personally use Cubase SX5 but there are many others that might be just as suitable and hopefully free to download.
Although I have not checked yet, I'm sure there must be way to upload these ideas onto the forum as an mp3?
Even if its just a couple of bars on piano, guitar or a percussive rythym, it would help others be inspired to play a part or have a say in making the music evolve.
Any members already experienced in the recording side of things please step forward as this would be a huge help!
I have a busy working weekend ahead but will keep checking in when I get a chance to check our progress.
Hopefully by next week be even able to contribute too.

Russ

Fred Steeves
21st February 2014, 22:22
Russ, if you agreed with PurpleLama's idea, and it seems that you did, why didn't you put it in the member's only section? Every other section is available to non-members.

Hey Russ, if you decide you want to do that just let me know.

Cheers

Highland1
21st February 2014, 22:35
Yes please Fred, I did not realise I had not placed it in the members thread....doh!

@ Seikhu, I'm pretty sure your music taste whether eccentric or not would add a uniqueness in the same way as your words do.
We are all very different here....that is why we are here.
Resistance is futile and I already love your lyrics.....

Russ

Highland1
21st February 2014, 22:37
Hi'all - all songs need a chorus . . . maybe something like:
" Cos I realise:
There’s no need to bleed, no need to feel any pain
You always get another chance to do it all again
Once you get the hang of it you’ll never be the same
Are you listening to me brothers, we live again and again"

Hey - this is FUN! :)

Suggested titles:
Visions
The loosh went whoosh (sorry :)
Hidden in plain sight
Life is just a game
The ride of your life

Just thinking aloud . . . . I bet Calz would be great at this!

Calabash, your on a roll, I love it!

Russ

Highland1
21st February 2014, 22:40
By the look of the lyrics thus far, it sounds like this could become a classic Blues track. Shame I don't have a keyboard here, could add some notation and leave the chord pattern to young Russ - A great idea by the way. JP

I can see you coming out of musical retirement John, I know how much you love music!

Russ

modwiz
21st February 2014, 22:45
John hears a blues song developing. That can make for a simple arrangement, although blues can be wide ranging as Led Z's Since I've Been Loving You demonstrates. However, it could be up a running soon.

I hear upbeat rock, (pop-rock type) or folk-rock. Both lend to choruses and sing along better. A little more refinement time would probably be required. Not that time matters. Just thinking out loud.

Highland1
21st February 2014, 22:51
Well, its daft o clock here in the uk and im gonna drift off to sleep tonight looking for some melodic inspiration as my form of contribution.
Night all!

Riss

Calabash
21st February 2014, 22:53
I woke up this morning – I wasn’t feeling great
Was it a nightmare – or was it something I ate
I looked into the mirror and what did I see
(I saw a great big) Purple Llama looking back at me

I reached for my lippy and tried to comb my hair
I looked back in the mirror but nobody was there
While I was puzzlin, there was a knock at the door
It was Modwiz, Sooz and Frances and another four score more

Have you heard the news
I’ve got the forum blues
I see members everywhere, on the chair, on the stair

There's Highland on the sofa and Barbara in the hall
Sushi Kissy on his mobile, making a phone call
Cearna's got a grip on Wolf Khan, he's lying on the bed
Malc and Spiral holding him down to make him take his med
[rhyme in everyone . . . .

(S'ok - I'm going to stop right now . . . . . )

modwiz
21st February 2014, 23:13
I do have a pop rock sort of ditty that could work. I'll work on using my new gear to put down a guitar track later tonight, if time and inspiration provide for it.

I will mention that I have no attachment to anything I put up and having it not meet with acceptance is fine with me. Just helping the process is all I wish for myself. Feeding the energy will keep it going.

Sooz
21st February 2014, 23:20
Oh, this is SO great!

As soon as I saw Russ's idea in the tent, I knew it would grow into something. And now after a nights sleep, it's lookin' real good.

Mr Sushi, I don't think you should be backward in coming forward. If anyone has a way with words, it's you my fine feathered friend.

modwiz
21st February 2014, 23:38
Oh, this is SO great!

As soon as I saw Russ's idea in the tent, I knew it would grow into something. And now after a nights sleep, it's lookin' real good.

Mr Sushi, I don't think you should be backward in coming forward. If anyone has a way with words, it's you my fine feathered friend.

Who is Sushi? I have trouble deciphering your name 'creativity', Flooz.:p

BabaRa
21st February 2014, 23:50
Who is Sushi? I have trouble deciphering your name 'creativity', Flooz.:p

Could be wrong, but I believe she means Seikou-Kishi

modwiz
21st February 2014, 23:55
Could be wrong, but I believe she means Seikou-Kishi

Oh yes, of course.:rolleyes:

Thank you Babarooni.:fpalm:

Seikou-Kishi
22nd February 2014, 00:11
Well, don't say you didn't ask for it ;-D

Depending on the genre of the music, there are several examples I can think of that might serve as good illustrations of possible themes. If we were considering something like melodic rock, I would offer the following as an example. It's a song about reincarnation.

Blind Guardian — Lost in the Twilight Hall

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNS79HE3ZE0

There's another song I like that shows themes with which we Totters might resonate. Lines like "slip back into your skin and get back to the show" and "abandon the notion of having choice, we'll lure you in with lies so just slurp the sweet honey" strike a chord with ideas we discuss. It's Japanese but that's not really important. A Romanisation and passable translation of the lyrics are included on the video. The somewhat ethereal nature of the song and the way the pitch and volume of the voices rise and fall help to underscore a more supernatural flavour, which I imagine might be a recurring theme here. The fact the singers have never even existed is just the icing on the cake for me :D

Kagamine Ren and Lin — Trick and Treat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-oqLkj3eys

modwiz
22nd February 2014, 01:00
Well, its daft o clock here in the uk and im gonna drift off to sleep tonight looking for some melodic inspiration as my form of contribution.
Night all!

Riss

Sleep well, Riss. We know it is sleep time when we misspell our own names.:p

BTW. I like the daft o'clock phrase. It works.:thup:

modwiz
22nd February 2014, 01:56
I will be recording my music in an 'A' 432 tuning. It is my desire that there is accord amongst the musicians that music is best put on the proper 'carrier wave' for health and consciousness.

Highland1
22nd February 2014, 07:21
Morning all, just checking in and delighted to see there is a definite spark of interest in this thread.
Clearly our tastes in music may well be diverse but regardless of music genre we all share common ground in our beliefs.
Hopefully that will be the common denominator as our ideas start to evolve.
Although I am working all weekend as I do every weekend, I look forward to keep checking in and see if anyone starts the ball rolling in addition to the existing lyrical contributions.
I suspect our resident wizard may well be conjuring a riff or two as I speak!
Having said that, there is no hurry whatsover to rush anything.
Getting the ingredients right beforehand will surely make for some very tasty composition.
I'm so looking forward to see what transpires and adding a little of my own flavour as it evolves.
Good luck all!

Russ

Sooz
22nd February 2014, 09:45
Modz has a guitar piece on the tent thread, perhaps it should be here instead? (Naughty Modz.)

I am not a musician, (all musicians, roll your eyes in unison), but just some thoughts - and I know there will be layers put on this, I really like that drumming where it's kind of like a military sound. Only thing that comes to mind is the drumming in Soldier of Love by Sade - will find a link later.

The other thing I like is the whirring sound of, uh, I don't know what it is, will try to find a link for that too.

Just my pennies worth.

Sooz
22nd February 2014, 09:50
Link is Sade, Soldier of Love, the drumming throughout is like a military sound. I am sure there is a technical name for it, but I have no idea.

Creates a very sombre, reverent feel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR5_rTCi-Bo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR5_rTCi-Bo

modwiz
22nd February 2014, 09:54
Modz has a guitar piece on the tent thread, perhaps it should be here instead? (Naughty Modz.)

As I said in my post with the link, I wanted Russ to give a listen before it goes here. It may not work out. It was one of many ideas I could have gone with. All different rhythms and genres.

Sooz
22nd February 2014, 10:04
For the life of me, I can't find the song with the whirring sound. It's in many (but not a lot of) songs, but one in particular is a song by Cruel Sea.

When I find it, will post.

Sooz
22nd February 2014, 11:31
OK, found something, not exactly what I wanted, but if you listen closely (it's very faint and continues a bit towards the end of the song).

At 2.14 mark you can hear the instrument I'm talking about. It's a whirring sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPZiScruc6o

Highland1
22nd February 2014, 12:30
Hey Sooz, it could be something as simple as a washboard with an object brushing over its rippled surface. It has a similar sound to a maraccas but I think the latter is more likely and is sampled.

Modz, I had a listen to your track and its really cool.
I particularly like the interesting chord changes you use in the bridge of the song. Reminds me of a sort of Argent type scale where guitarists would actually play chords other than majors or minors. Those were the days! Lol
I think you should include it in the thread so others can get a feel and perhaps contribute to its flow.

regards

Russ

modwiz
22nd February 2014, 12:36
Hey Sooz, it could be something as simple as a washboard with an object brushing over its rippled surface. It has a similar sound to a maraccas but I think the latter is more likely and is sampled.

Modz, I had a listen to your track and its really cool.
I particularly like the interesting chord changes you use in the bridge of the song. Reminds me of a sort of Argent type scale where guitarists would actually play chords other than majors or minors. Those were the days! Lol
I think you should include it in the thread so others can get a feel and perhaps contribute to its flow.

regards

Russ

Done.
https://soundcloud.com/modwiz-1

Sooz
22nd February 2014, 13:24
Hey, if there is anyone we need here, it's Church!

Sound music King. But only if he has time.

Thinking also of my mirror, 777, who is such a great rapper....

Anyone else here who is good at putting a good vid together? (Not me, I have no idea, I'm the project manager, remember?)

I'll come into my own when it comes to taking it to market. (oh, God, now I've sown my own seeds of self destruction).:shocked: Just kidding, looking forward to it.

Edit: I need a shovel. Anyone got one? Spiral had one awhile ago....

Highland1
22nd February 2014, 13:31
Me thinks Mr Parslow will be constructing a nice bass backing to this!
Nice one Modz.

Russ

ronin
22nd February 2014, 13:32
holy sh it i was thinking washboards this morning just as a jest.:belief:

Sooz
22nd February 2014, 13:38
holy sh it i was thinking washboards this morning just as a jest.:belief:

I really liked your lyrics Ronin.:tiphat:

john parslow
22nd February 2014, 13:48
If I have guessed the sound Sooz is talking about it could be a Quijada:

The Quijada [Charrasga, or Jawbone in English] is a traditional Latin percussion instrument that is cleaned of tissue and dried so the teeth can loosen and act as a rattle. They are traditionally made from the jawbone of either a mule, horse, or donkey. To play, a musician holds one half in one hand and strikes the other with either a stick or their hand; this causes the teeth to rattle against the bone creating a loud, untuned sound, original to this instrument. It is used in music throughout most of Latin America, including Mexico, Peru, El Salvador, Ecuador, and Cuba.

There are modern equivalents (not made from animals Sooz). JP

Sooz
22nd February 2014, 13:54
If I have guessed the sound Sooz is talking about it could be a Quijada:

The Quijada [Charrasga, or Jawbone in English] is a traditional Latin percussion instrument that is cleaned of tissue and dried so the teeth can loosen and act as a rattle. They are traditionally made from the jawbone of either a mule, horse, or donkey. To play, a musician holds one half in one hand and strikes the other with either a stick or their hand; this causes the teeth to rattle against the bone creating a loud, untuned sound, original to this instrument. It is used in music throughout most of Latin America, including Mexico, Peru, El Salvador, Ecuador, and Cuba.

There are modern equivalents (not made from animals Sooz). JP

Hello Mr Parsnip,

Sounds kind of right to me. I imagined it being something you hold in your hand and wizz around in a circle, if that makes any sense.

ronin
22nd February 2014, 14:05
just one more please...

I was sitting on the corner
Just a wasting my time
When a girl came up to me and asked me for a dime.
I said “girl i ain,t got a dime”
But i do have the time to make some sweet music

Sweet music,sweet sweet music.

She gave me a smile
A light in her eye
My luck was in that i knew
She gave me that look
And her hand i took.

Our passion burned it was hot with love,
The heat off me would not recede,
All night long we breathed together.
Wishing this night would last forever.

She loved me as no woman has.
Bringing tears of love and joy.
Knowing me in every way.
Making me the man i am today.

I was sitting on the corner just a wasting my time.
Looking at the body.
That i could not believe was mine.

I did,nt have a dime
But she came for me,
To take me home,
With a smile on her face and a light in her eye.

Together we fly.

To make sweet music,sweet sweet music.

john parslow
22nd February 2014, 14:12
Hello Mr Parsnip,

Sounds kind of right to me. I imagined it being something you hold in your hand and wizz around in a circle, if that makes any sense.

Hi Sooz

Years ago when I was in a 40's type dance band, the wind section used to play it on some numbers and I believe it was made from a Bamboo tube about 3" round and a foot long with one side cut-away like a trowel and serrated teeth cut into the edge, this was then scraped rhythmically with a small stick like a chopstick - hope this helps ... xx

1inMany
22nd February 2014, 14:31
Who can pull a melody from those beautiful chord progressions?

john parslow
22nd February 2014, 15:44
Who can pull a melody from those beautiful chord progressions?

Hello 1inmany, which beautiful chord progressions? Did I miss something? I usually do by the way! So many things to do, so little time ...

Highland1
22nd February 2014, 16:16
Hi John, if you scroll back to post #30 on this thread, Modwiz has already scored a guitar rythym which you can listen to if you click on the soundcloud link .
Im sure you will feel a bass hook comin on after doing so my good man! :chrs:

Russ

BabaRa
22nd February 2014, 16:35
Ronin and Calabash are the lyrics manifesters extraordinaire

And Modwiz has the fingers to enchant us with the guitar . . . . .

Sooz is definitely the cheerleader, and Russ the organizer . . . . . . do I see a record deal in the future?

ronin
22nd February 2014, 16:49
holy **** i,m gonna be rich.
sorry
i meant.
holy s hit we are gonna be rich.

Seikou-Kishi
22nd February 2014, 18:56
Here's a good song with great lyrics. Perhaps it might serve as a little inspiration?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AydL1zofkIU

I don't want you to hate for all the hurt that you feel; the world is just illusion trying to change you

Highland1
22nd February 2014, 20:44
What really inspires many of us here Seikou is your voice.
Your no nonsense razor sharp intellectual wit is second to none.
Your recent thread relating to childhood round the "tree"" was for me more inspiring than anything I have read for a long time because you have the ability to capture moments and make us all feel like we are all there right with you bro.
If you could recreate that story in a lyrical context, I for one am right on it and would love to compliment that story with a musical backdrop that brings that story back to life so others can enjoy it too as we all have.
The eccentric songs you have brought to our attention so far aint got a patch on what you can bring to the table, lyrically speaking anyway.
In my experience as a semi pro musician and song writer the best songs have a great story that people can relate to.
Using musical dynamics and tempo can greatly enhance that story.
For example many great songs start in a ballad format and as the climax of the lyrics hit home the power chords kick in propped up with dynamic percussive interludes bringing euphoric passion to those who listen and feel what is within that song.
I'm sure I'm not alone here by suggesting that Tots very own wordsmith should perhaps try writing some lyrics whether it needs a musical accompliment or not.
Why not give it a try?

Russ

modwiz
22nd February 2014, 21:23
Hello Mr Parsnip,

That is called a bullroarer.

modwiz
22nd February 2014, 23:02
Might put up another piece of music when I get it recorded. It would be very different from the first piece.

I have been using my new amp for the recordings. I really like it.:D

Let us not forget that Black Panther is a guitar player and singer too.

Seikou-Kishi
23rd February 2014, 00:52
Your recent thread relating to childhood round the "tree"" was for me more inspiring than anything I have read for a long time because you have the ability to capture moments and make us all feel like we are all there right with you bro.
If you could recreate that story in a lyrical context, I for one am right on it and would love to compliment that story with a musical backdrop that brings that story back to life so others can enjoy it too as we all have.
The eccentric songs you have brought to our attention so far aint got a patch on what you can bring to the table, lyrically speaking anyway.
In my experience as a semi pro musician and song writer the best songs have a great story that people can relate to.
For example many great songs start in a ballad format and as the climax of the lyrics hit home the power chords kick in propped up with dynamic percussive interludes bringing euphoric passion to those who listen and feel what is within that song.
I'm sure I'm not alone here by suggesting that Tots very own wordsmith should perhaps try writing some lyrics whether it needs a musical accompliment or not.
Why not give it a try?

Russ

Oh god Russ my cheeks are on fire. I'm not normally prone to blushing but wow I could cook an egg on my cheeks right now lol. I'm probably as close to speechless as I could get XD. I don't think I'd make a good lyricist though, but I can give it a try. I agree with you that some of the most enjoyable songs tell stories. From the Seekers' The Carnival is Over to Cradle of Filth's Her Ghost in the Fog. I think when they tell stories, they're more engaging because it's not just a string of nice words or ideas

BabaRa
23rd February 2014, 01:45
Why not give it a try?

Russ

I have actually encouraged him to write a book. He even had a great story line. But, maybe the time wasn't right. Or the time involved wasn't right for him.
Great idea Russ, songs wouldn't take the same time commitment.

modwiz
23rd February 2014, 07:52
OK Totters. Got another one here. Quite different than the other. This one has some salsa in it. It is part of a song I recorded at home in the seventies. I reshaped it, added a part, and put it up.

I still have the original title on it for now, it is, Mundo Mi. My World. Although the word mundo can also speak to earthiness and foundation. Mundane is a word in this family. A more profound word when considered a bit. So 'My Foundation' is another translation that felt right for me.

Anyway, that is the history of the title. It is up for change if the song became used.:D

https://soundcloud.com/modwiz-1/mundo-mi

modwiz
23rd February 2014, 08:19
If I get real ambitious, I will record a dancy Motowny thing I have that is a lot of fun. :)

Sooz
23rd February 2014, 08:22
Second listen is even better.

I like the latin/salsa feel to it, very upbeat. I can imagine drums and/or percussion making it quite luscious.

Ah, got idea for percussion.....

modwiz
23rd February 2014, 08:24
Second listen is even better.

I like the latin/salsa feel to it, very upbeat. I can imagine drums and/or percussion making it quite luscious.

Ah, got idea for percussion.....

I've played it with the salsa beat my keyboard has and it really creates a luscious poly-rhythmic interplay with the guitar.

Sooz
23rd February 2014, 08:31
Forgive my ignorance, but I don't think this is drumming, but percussion?
Sounds incredible anyway, there's a good bit around 2.45.
Byron Bay band btw, the drummer (not the guy in this vid) was my son's drum teacher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJVoslo_xdM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJVoslo_xdM

modwiz
23rd February 2014, 08:33
Thanks again Modz, so far you are leading the way with your ideas and I'm hoping others too come forward and build upon this? Of course having the tools to play and record is a big advantage and frustrating for those who dont and yet have an idea to put forward?
So please folks, don't leave it all to Modz even if you only have a suggestion?
Speaking of Black Panther, has anyone heard from him recently as I have not seen him post for a while?
Also Ben our one truth rapper, where are ya bro?
Of course having free time is a big factor in contributing to something like this so I'm still very hopeful we can collectively write something we can all get involved in.
Sooz, I know you cant wait to get the didgeridoo out of the cupboard and start ripping it up! Lol
I hope to find some time tomorrow to get some ideas down and see if we can turn this spark into a flame.

regards

Russ

What is great Russ, is I bought the new amp with the intention of using it for simple recording, except with good 'tone' shaping from a tube amp. And within a day or two, I am using it for just that. Makes me enjoy my decision to get it even more.

I am surprised to see myself in the lead as I was simply trying to keep up with the urgency I perceived when the idea first erupted. I expect the contributors will be along. If I had had a mic I would have used Calabash's scooby doo words in a chant or chant/rap sort of fashion, in a playful rhythmic engagement of the more open part in the song where it is riding a grooove.

Sooz
23rd February 2014, 08:35
If I get real ambitious, I will record a dancy Motowny thing I have that is a lot of fun. :)

Oh, I'd like to hear THAT! Geeze we may end up with so many good things, it will be hard to know what to choose, lol...

modwiz
23rd February 2014, 08:35
Well, here I go again. Get down with it.
https://soundcloud.com/modwiz-1/get-down-with-it

modwiz
23rd February 2014, 08:36
I am having trouble posting and when I finally can.......it is a double post.

The members are fine, it's the software that needs moderating.:ha:

Highland1
23rd February 2014, 08:41
Thanks again Modz, so far you are leading the way with your ideas and I'm hoping others too come forward and build upon this? Of course having the tools to play and record is a big advantage and frustrating for those who dont and yet have an idea to put forward?
So please folks, don't leave it all to Modz even if you only have a suggestion?
Speaking of Black Panther, has anyone heard from him recently as I have not seen him post for a while?
Also Ben our one truth rapper, where are ya bro?
Of course having free time is a big factor in contributing to something like this so I'm still very hopeful we can collectively write something we can all get involved in.
Sooz, I know you cant wait to get the didgeridoo out of the cupboard and start ripping it up! Lol
I hope to find some time tomorrow to get some ideas down and see if we can turn this spark into a flame.

regards

Russ

modwiz
23rd February 2014, 08:52
If one looks, they will see that in my post #55 I have quoted Russ in his post #60. Should be impossible in most situations. I responded to a post Russ had already made before me and now it is 5 posts after me.

There's queer folk about, I tell you.:wiz:

I guess the software did it?:hmm::scrhd:

Sooz
23rd February 2014, 09:04
Well, here I go again. Get down with it.
https://soundcloud.com/modwiz-1/get-down-with-it

I like that one too! But if I had to choose, I'd go for the first one*, like you say, world flavour.

I also like the idea of doing a 'fat scat', Ricki Lee Jones has some good scatting in her music, will try to find one.

You know guys and gals, we could really pull something off here! I'm not kidding. With so many talented people here we could do something really special.

Off to hunt for fat scatting by Ricki Lee.

*I mean the second one, the one with the salsa beat.

Sooz
23rd February 2014, 09:12
Good rapping scat here at 1.58.

'Woody and Dutch on the Slow Train to Peking', by Rickie Lee Jones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhBgGwr_Ktg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhBgGwr_Ktg

modwiz
23rd February 2014, 09:22
The last one got 3 'luvs' from people I don't know already at Soundcloud.

This is a hoot. (I need an owl smiley).

modwiz
23rd February 2014, 09:26
Not sure what is going on withthe top of the pages here but, it looks like a billboard.:shocked:

Hold up guys, the song isn't written yet. :hilarious:

Sooz
23rd February 2014, 09:31
Who cares? Only members can see it.

It may entice more lurkers to join and see what's going on. From your tent thread that is, which is public.

Sooz
23rd February 2014, 09:49
I think we need a strategic creative brief:

Most importantly, who is the main target audience, who do we want to reach?

People already awake or those who are not? There is a big distinction.

Is this song/music just a creative collaboration for fun or is its intention to inform?

If it's pitched at major alternative media, (bumper music for example), should it also appeal to mainstream media and you tube?

What is the theme? Peaceful non-compliance or should it be more assertive.

Visuals? Anyone got experience? (That 'Water' Song I put up by Blue King Brown Band did that for $200).

Just thoughts.

Or you can just tell me I'm talking through my arse, I don't care, lol.....:cool:

modwiz
23rd February 2014, 10:18
The rest of you can hash that out. I just make music. An idea for what the song wants to communicate would help. I would aim it at nobody and just make music. It will form its own genre and place, IMO. A few more participants will need to show up and contribute. This was not my idea. Just one I liked enough to bring something to the table.

A working title or concept would help, especially with the words.

ronin
23rd February 2014, 10:23
what comes first the music or the lyrics?
the music can give the inspiration and beat to write the lyrics.
or would you go for vice versa.
also what type of song or tempo ,style are you looking at.
blue,s
doo wap...ect?

Moonlight
23rd February 2014, 10:32
Great job you all! I really like "Get down with it" from Modwiz ... catchy tune. I will not be a big contributor, not being here that much, but I am a good listener. LOL

I also like the fun lyrics of Calabash. This being a first, can we just have fun with it?

modwiz
23rd February 2014, 10:36
Great job you all! I really like "Get down with it" from Modwiz ... catchy tune. I will not be a big contributor, not being here that much, but I am a good listener. LOL

I also like the fun lyrics of Calabash. This being a first, can we just have fun with it?

That is how I want to do it and it informs my approach. I had fun recording the songs and putting them out to just be heard.

modwiz
23rd February 2014, 11:20
Had to sign on to share thoughts.

Ben would be great with Get Down With It, henceforth to be known as "Howzat".

Have a idea of crooned harmonies working with Calabash's scooby lyrics during the non-verse part. I would have to change my setup to do so. Maybe in a couple of days for that.

I have to cool my heels and let others in.:winner:

Seikou-Kishi
23rd February 2014, 18:09
I'm really confused by the way in which Modwiz seems to have quoted in post 55 a post Highland didn't make until post 59, especially since post 55 doesn't have the "edited by _____ at _____" marker.

Seikou-Kishi
23rd February 2014, 18:19
what comes first the music or the lyrics?
the music can give the inspiration and beat to write the lyrics.
or would you go for vice versa.
also what type of song or tempo ,style are you looking at.
blue,s
doo wap...ect?

In my opinion, I think the music must come first, because the rhythm of the music gives structure to the lyrics. I know many songs are written the other way around, with the music supplied later. At the same time, though, perhaps the musician doesn't really know when to bring the music into a climax or calm it down, and so on, unless he knows what the lyrics are and what music would best underscore their meaning. It seems pretty chicken and egg to me and I don't really know how to resolve it. I have quite a bit of musical experience, but only ever with singing.

Highland1
23rd February 2014, 18:48
I'm really confused by the way in which Modwiz seems to have quoted in post 55 a post Highland didn't make until post 59, especially since post 55 does have the "edited by _____ at _____" marker.

Perhaps our resident wizard has time travelling capabilities?

How did you know what I typed........before I posted the thread Modz?

Timeslip?

Very interesting!

Russ

Calabash
23rd February 2014, 20:25
Evening all . . .

All the music sounds so good Modwiz. What made it even better was that I forgot to turn Sooz' video off, so it added another layer. I guess this is how it's done . . .? Sooz' suggestion of a tighter profile sounds the right way to go as well, so that we have something to aim for. (Maybe we're not finished brainstorming yet though ?) Once we get the whole backing there needs to be a tune so we know where to do the "shawaddy-waddies". I'm going to get canned for saying this but SOMEONE needs to TAKE CHARGE of the project - either Modwiz or Highland - at some point.

This might not be the best place to post but the subject of absent Totters came up on the thread and I'm wondering what has happened to CrestedDuck, particularly as he was in a bit of a situation. Anyone heard anything . . .? and wtf is Calz - this is right up his street?

Edit: Was thinking about names for a band and thought Rad icals was cool, but then it's already taken :( Any thoughts - Radical Tots? Hmm, Modicals, Highcals (I eat too many of those), Badass hobbits
The Bandname Generator came up with:
Modwiz Riddance
Ethereal Alone
Modwiz Of The Motivation
Dramatic Modwiz
Unique Modwiz
Rustic Lifeless
Modwiz Of The Turmoil
Modwiz Isle
Cycle Modwiz
Highland Of The Bologna
Highland Clorox
Lukewarm Highland
Highland Coat
Highland Dream
Highland Vigor
Addicted Highland
Deprived Highland Of The Reborn Regeneration
Highland Spider
Highland Christ Of The Glorious Burn

1inMany
23rd February 2014, 21:25
Omg, calabash, those names made me lol!

Seikou-Kishi
23rd February 2014, 21:26
What about "Totus"/"TOTus"? It means "all" and ends with "us", so it's inclusive, and the first three letters are TOT lol maybe not.

Calabash
23rd February 2014, 21:47
Brilliant SK. . . even Total or Totalled

Highland1
23rd February 2014, 22:22
I believe in unity and that we are all part of this so perhaps a name should reflect this?
Did Seikou confess being able to sing?
He sure did and confessed to having some experience too!
Having said that I'm sure the ladies of the forum might give him a run for his money.....but no divas please! Lol
I have a day off tomorrow and hopefully will manage to find some spare time to contribute some music to this growing thread.
I think I will use a little percussion and maybe a little guitar ballad idea I have been wanting to use if anyone likes it.
Also going to try and sync one of Modz tunes to a drum track which may be a little tricky unless the timing is absolutely spot on.
Modz knows that instruments are usually recorded at the same time or after the percussion track has been laid down so that everything is timed correctly. It can get a little technical I suppose but if we want to sound good everything must be totally in sync.
If im succesful I will post to the thread tomorrow evening.

night night toters!

Russ

modwiz
23rd February 2014, 22:31
I believe in unity and that we are all part of this so perhaps a name should reflect this?
Did Seikou confess being able to sing?
He sure did and confessed to having some experience too!
Having said that I'm sure the ladies of the forum might give him a run for his money.....but no divas please! Lol
I have a day off tomorrow and hopefully will manage to find some spare time to contribute some music to this growing thread.
I think I will use a little percussion and maybe a little guitar ballad idea I have been wanting to use if anyone likes it.
Also going to try and sync one of Modz tunes to a drum track which may be a little tricky unless the timing is absolutely spot on.
Modz knows that instruments are usually recorded at the same time or after the percussion track has been laid down so that everything is timed correctly. It can get a little technical I suppose but if we want to sound good everything must be totally in sync.
If im succesful I will post to the thread tomorrow evening.

night night toters!

Russ

I am sure my timing is 'organic' Russ and may be problematic with exact timing. If I had rhythm track to record to, I could produce a wave file that you could import to your Cubase that would be spot on. Even an agreed upon bpm* would allow for coordination

I look forward to hearing your ballad idea.

(*beats per minute)

Seikou-Kishi
23rd February 2014, 23:15
I confessed nothing of the sort :P

Personally, I think Sooz should sing ;-)

Sooz
24th February 2014, 04:21
Unfortunately I can't sing anymore SK.

The old 'use it or lose it' thing.

Seikou-Kishi
24th February 2014, 04:31
http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/4788/7n9j.png

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/6029/1qrs.jpg

I wouldn't be completely disappointed with a mundane explanation lol, I promise

modwiz
24th February 2014, 04:38
http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/3141/ucsl.png

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/6029/1qrs.jpg

I wouldn't be completely disappointed with a mundane explanation lol

This happened around the same time the neon banners showed up at the top of the page. Earlier, I could not post with out waiting 1320 seconds. I hadn't posted in 5 or more minutes.

I have to tell you, seeing Russ' post, after responding to it, really caught my attention.

I caught the mundane reference.:thup:

Sooz
24th February 2014, 08:58
I was on this thread around that time.
The forum did go a bit berko there for a while. I thought it was just my computer.:fpalm:
It kept on logging me off and I kept having to keep logging in.
Merely a techo glitch me-thinks.
Strange all the same.

BTW, I love 'Badass Hobbits', lol...:p

Sooz
24th February 2014, 09:23
How about TOTley Crue.....or Badass TOTers, lol..
A lot of us were expelled or driven out of the mists, might as well live up to our renegade reputations.:dan::dan::dan::ttr::grin:

The One
24th February 2014, 10:12
Apologies we were just changing the banner on galaxy theme

modwiz
24th February 2014, 10:25

Ah, the one I use. That explains it.:D

norman
24th February 2014, 11:18
Patsy Lee-Harvey and the Truth Groupies

24th February 2014, 11:32
I have been kindly invited into this space by Russ (cheers mate).

Would anyone be kind enough to update me as to where this has gotten please? Failing that I shall trawl through this evening. Looks like a bloomin marvellous idea though guys!!

Is there going to be a bridge section for me to rap over? (joking.....I know most of you aren't into it)

Calabash
24th February 2014, 11:34
If we're going with the scooby-doo lyrics (are they really called that? cute . . . .) then perhaps they should be scat/rapped (like Dizzy Rascal) and we could all join in a chorus - what chorus? exactly . . . . . get going folks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG-yMcqwR6o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG-yMcqwR6o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhiauKb4J3M
Why Dizzy Rascal? Why, because my (86 year old) dad thinks he should be shot with a bag of crap and then slowly tortured - that should be a seal of approval enough for the renegade side of us . . .? :)
A working title could be - "Sauron?) eats his hat"

modwiz
24th February 2014, 11:34
I have been kindly invited into this space by Russ (cheers mate).

Would anyone be kind enough to update me as to where this has gotten please? Failing that I shall trawl through this evening. Looks like a bloomin marvellous idea though guys!!

Is there going to be a bridge section for me to rap over? (joking.....I know most of you aren't into it)

Verse section.

You might have missed this post by me:

Had to sign on to share thoughts.

Ben would be great with Get Down With It, henceforth to be known as "Howzat".

Have a idea of crooned harmonies working with Calabash's scooby lyrics during the non-verse part. I would have to change my setup to do so. Maybe in a couple of days for that.

I have to cool my heels and let others in.

modwiz
24th February 2014, 11:42
shoop shoop, sha-waddy . . . . shamone . . .. howzat

Looks like we may get a song, or two, going, if we're not careful.:rolleyes:

Shoop shoop sha-waddy
Shoop shoop sha-waddy shamone. (with feeling)

Calabash
24th February 2014, 11:50
There's something called sibelius, which you can download for free for 30 days. However, I don't know whether it's the right thing or not. I'm thinking we should put the shoop shoops in last, along with any clapping (like one of Sooz' vids - very effective - the Spanish do it quite well don't they, over their flamenco, etc. . . . . . ). How are we going to do it?

norman
24th February 2014, 11:56
hi Modwiz, Here's a "click track" from your own right hand.

Perhaps you could rig it up in your ears somehow and jam to it, for a shareable tune.

https://app.box.com/s/hg4z4ku73u3fmdzgq6nf

[ there's a downward pointing arrow near the top-right, to download the file ]

modwiz
24th February 2014, 12:04
hi Modwiz, Here's a "click track" from your own right hand.

Perhaps you could rig it up in your ears somehow and jam to it, for a shareable tune.

https://app.box.com/s/hg4z4ku73u3fmdzgq6nf

[ there's a downward pointing arrow near the top-right, to download the file ]

Thanks Norman that is a very cool app. For whatever reason, the sampled part catches a part where I must have 'pushed' the rhythm a bit, so the sample is a little too fast but, the loop really had a groove.

PurpleLama
24th February 2014, 15:48
Oh yes, of course.:rolleyes:

Thank you Babarooni.:fpalm:

Radda-tot-tot :hiding:

Seikou-Kishi
24th February 2014, 19:47
Maybe Bad Ass isn't fitting and we should call ourselves the Good Bums lmao

Highland1
24th February 2014, 21:01
Hi lovely people, what a frustrating afternoon it has been trying to scrape a song together for the thread!

I always play in standard concert pitch but of course we agreed we would write something in 432hz which is a natural frequency.

All my guitars have Floyd Rose locking tremoloes on them which causes ridiculous problems when trying to detune them.

Not only that, I play with my band a couple of times monthly in concert pitch so eventually I chose my least favourite guitar and starting tuning down so I dont mess things up at my next gig!

The problem initially being that my digital tuners do not have the 432hz option so I had to rely on an internet site to "detune" the strings to the agreed 432hz.
Only after a couple of hours messing about recording on my recording platform ( Cubase ) did I realise it was tuned slightly lower than 432hz.

So, whatever ever key this is actually in I just went with it out of frustration, Sorry!

If you click on the following link it will take you to the little ditty I have put together.

Before you do though, please be aware that although I write songs and melodies, If they sound like anyone else then that is only because I am influenced by all music and those influences have bound to surface perhaps sounding similar to music that may have already been written.

Having said that, I think that's pretty much the same for most composers, as pretty much everything has already been done whereas the main thing that changes is the technology and sound equipment itself.

So basically. I have used a basic drum pattern as an intro followed by just a clean guitar sound with no frills or solos but I couldn't resist putting a little badly played keyboard strings to pad it out.

I simply just called it "Walk In The Park" because I couldn't think of anything else to call it, besides if anyone actually likes it they can call it whatever they like.

https://soundcloud.com/russell-middleton/walk-in-the-park

If truth be known, the song I wanted to record fresh today was a guitar ballad I wrote years ago in the 80's during a period I call my "dark period".
but because I had tuning issues I just ended up writing A Walk In The Park instead.

However, I am going to place a couple more rough recordings of my material here because few people have actually heard these songs and it seems such a shame that they will never be listened to unless of course I upload them here.

The vocals are not sang by myself, although the lyrics and instruments are so I have total free licence over the material if anyone wants to add or remove anything and actually put the songs to use?

https://soundcloud.com/russell-middleton/who-knows

This next ballad was recorded and written literally right after " Who Knows" song in the mid 80's but this time I rip a wee solo towards the end of the song.
Please note, although the title is the same as Michael Jacksons "Your Not Alone" from 2009 they are not connected in anyway, besides my song was written in 2005.

https://soundcloud.com/russell-middleton/your-not-alone

I hope you enjoy my small contribution folks.
I would have really preferred to record fresh but it is so time consuming trying to do so much in only a couple of hours.

As a rule, I mainly play heavy classic rock and I have quite a few original ditties of those if anyone wants me to upload them.

I also have written a few tribal type rythyms using sequencers and adding a heavy guitar rythym over the top but Im not sure if anyone here likes anything a bit harder edged?

If so.....just say the word.

Well, that's me done today, I'm pretty cream crackered now after 7 hours tweaking and strumming so if there is anything here you like and think we can use, then please leave some comments on how you would like it to sound and what lyrics you would like to use?

If not, then that's absolutely fine and thank you for taking a little time to listening to my songs anyway.

regards

Russ

norman
24th February 2014, 21:06
I think this project has got legs, BUT, I think it needs a skype conference. Who here knows best how to set one up and run it smoothly?

We only need audio hookup, visuals are irrelevant and distracting, I.m.O.. This is an audio project after all.

Also, I'm interested in skype ( or a technologically better alternative ) for another reason. I'm in the dreamy planning stage of developing a 'new format' kind of talk show that's based on pre recording and editing and putting out something that's more like BBC radio 4 than Paranormal Radio :), including lots of cool musical and experimental interludes. The anticipated audience (probably on Youtube [can you suggest a more up and coming new site for audio publishing? - I hate the phony "image" over a radio program that's so common on youtube just to make it a youtube video ] ) are the mainstream intellectuals who like serious talk but need to be baby spoon fed a sugar'd version of the stuff we discuss. The objective is to get lots of those folks thinking in a space they have never done before.

Anyway, back to the TOT creative writing and building....................

Sooz
24th February 2014, 21:52
Love them all Russ, very professional.
I quite understand these are rough and raw starters. Very impressive though.:tiphat:
You've put a lot of work in there - 7 hours, wow. Have a scotch.

john parslow
24th February 2014, 22:33
Wow folks, I don't have a look for a few days and this thread is now seven pages long, can some kind person with more time than I, please set-out what is going down thus far, the last time I looked/listened the wizard had recorded some wizard chord patterns but not in standard tuning A = 440 Hz. How far has it evolved? JP

norman
24th February 2014, 22:43
Hi lovely people,

Russ

1)......... Bloody lovely. Sounds a tad like a drummer's mix but that leaves plenty of room for lyricists and flashy vurtuoso improve' etc.... like it's sweetness.

2).... Noisy fkd up recording ( I'll guess it's copied off an old cassette tape) It proves you have a real power-ballad vocal gift to be lassoed when needed. In fact. so far, until others stand up and take the mic', you're definitely "Patsy Lee-Harvey" :)

3)... Also noisy cruddy ish. You need a sound engineer. I just so happen to be one ( up to a point ). Your quite 'serious' persona as a vocalist is impressive in this world of **** taking stunt celebrities, everywhere. I get a strong feeling you are a solid case of "tell me what it takes - and I'll do it". That's very reassuring and gives me the fuzzy feeling this outfit has already got a male vocalist and a guitarist.

The Wizzard's rawness is the counterpoint here. 'Moddy' has a 'standup' quality like a great comedian but not at all expecting laughs ( at least, not all the time ). (:) )

I used to play guitar but I've become so rusty it's silly to think I could step up and 'spank the plank for "god"'.

I'm currently far more at home behind the gear, making everything sound as good as it possibly can, and ironing out the unwanted wrinkles in the vibe etc. I once produced a 'Psych' Folk album that flopped badly and put me in a factory working nights to pay my way out of the debt it dropped me into. But, now, a few decades later, copies of the vinyl are changing hands on ebay for £300 upwards quite regularly, I must have got something right at the time, even though it felt like failure. There must be a lesson in that somewhere :)

1inMany
24th February 2014, 23:52
Wow Russ. That was awesome, that Walk in the Park. (I'm still listening to it with my headphones, so I can't comment on the others yet.)

I would love to sit in the grass and listen to you guys playing together, I really would. It would be fun to collaborate and play with some sounds, melodies, lyrics. Alas, I'm just an ole country girl, and sangin' days are long gone. But...I sure would love to watch all this unfold in person.

Just wanted to say you guys really are doing a great job putting some things together. I really hope this effort produces something.

sandy
25th February 2014, 00:28
Wow Russ, What talent !! :)

I think that with all the, musicians, artisans, creativity and talent in this forum one could make an album, never mind one measly song...........Hey Ben I love Rap and Rock, Jazz, Blues and music created from the joy of one's soul.......................thus there sure is much soul here and I anticipate some Soul Music too :)

What I love the most is the coming together to share and care. I only wish I had a talented bone in my body to contribute but alas not one of my many blessings. However I sure can be recognized in the audience for my loud outbursts of joy and enthusiasm to be apart of such a great coming together to Love and Unity.

Thanks everyone for my heart filled with warmth and love this very day..............TOT is an awesome place to hang out :)

Seikou-Kishi
25th February 2014, 00:48

I lied, alright! I'm absolutely disappointed by the mundane explanation. Can't you just say a witch did it? Or a unicorn? Lol

Seikou-Kishi
25th February 2014, 00:50
Russ, have you considered it might be easier, rather than retuning your guitars, to record whatever you're going to record in 440 and then retune is electronically? Many audio programmes have a facility to change A440 to A432, and your computer would be able to do it in seconds and all you'd have to do is click a few buttons

modwiz
25th February 2014, 01:09
Regarding tuning. What is now standard tuning or "A" 440, began in the '44-'45 period. It was "A"432 before that.

440 tuning comes from the same twisted minds that bring us GMO's. Since reality is made of choices, my choice is with the 'good guys'. Not a very hard choice for me. Organic corn or GMO corn? It's a no-brainer for me.

Just got up. I look forward to hearing Russ' songs after I wake up a bit.

From wikipedia: A suspicious source depending on material.

A440 is widely used as concert pitch in United Kingdom[3] and the United States. In continental Europe the frequency of the A is commonly 442 Hz and 443 Hz.[4][5] In the period instrument movement, a consensus has arisen around a modern baroque pitch of 415 Hz (currently, A flat), baroque for some special church music (Chorton pitch) at 466 Hz (A sharp) and classical pitch at 432 Hz.[6]

I had no idea that 432 tuning would be an issue with us awake folk.

norman
25th February 2014, 01:25
Bach ( the harpsichord and piano man ) invented equal temperament tuning, which was the point where I think it all went wrong. Before that, tuning was always modal and single key instruments etc. I don't know why they eventually dragged it up to 440, but it's probably a false gravitation of the ear since it was cut loose from modal harmonics.

Hey, folks....... here's what happened when I stopped playing guitar and started playing the bloody studio instead :) ...[get me outa here....]

Patsy Lee Harvey's Dirge:
https://app.box.com/s/oqxhvowc17lyt3r17gk8

modwiz
25th February 2014, 02:33
WOW, Russ. Real recordings. Full songs too. Nice, lush guitar tone. Welcoming, open music. Very workable.

Well, the choosers are getting some choices. It's great.

modwiz
25th February 2014, 02:34
Bach ( the harpsichord and piano man ) invented equal temperament tuning, which was the point where I think it all went wrong. Before that, tuning was always modal and single key instruments etc. I don't know why they eventually dragged it up to 440, but it's probably a false gravitation of the ear since it was cut loose from modal harmonics.

Hey, folks....... here's what happened when I stopped playing guitar and started playing the bloody studio instead :) ...[get me outa here....]

Patsy Lee Harvey's Dirge:
https://app.box.com/s/oqxhvowc17lyt3r17gk8

That is brilliant Norman. I like your music. You gave me some links at PA while I was there.

modwiz
25th February 2014, 04:56
It is my view that this very popular thread, in the top three?, serves a better purpose being public. I do not understand the desire, or reasoning, to keep it members only.

The musical options are accruing nicely. However, unless/until this thread goes public, I will post my thoughts in the tent. Questions regarding further development and my involvement can be had by PM while we remain a members only thread.
:Knight:

Sooz
25th February 2014, 05:00
That is brilliant Norman. I like your music. You gave me some links at PA while I was there.

I agree Modz, love the background tracks, very techy and haunting. The sound is excellent even on my crappy speakers.

Highland1
25th February 2014, 08:09
Hi Norman, thats a great soundtrack, you certainly know how to engineer sound.
I get quite lost in the technology which makes it frustrating trying to capture an idea on the fly.
If your ever in Yorkshire.....?
Hi Modz, I have no objection for this thread going open to public as I think it was purple lama who originally suggested it to go on members only but I cant remember why?
I think it it would be a good idea if someone attempted to apply some words to what has been put forward so far?
Seikou, your probably right that there is a way to digitally detune a recording but I have yet to find out how to do this.
Give me a guitar and im completely at home but put me in a studio and I leave it to the engineers and producers to work their magic.
I only wish I had some of Normans skills to enhance the quality of sound.
Also, im wondering if maybe some more modern style of music should be brought in to entice younger blood to step forward with some input? Will the real 777 stand up? Lol
Thank you for your comments, they are greatly and humbly appreciated.

Russ

Sooz
25th February 2014, 08:29
Hi Norman, thats a great soundtrack, you certainly know how to engineer sound.
I get quite lost in the technology which makes it frustrating trying to capture an idea on the fly.
If your ever in Yorkshire.....?
Hi Modz, I have no objection for this thread going open to public as I think it was purple lama who originally suggested it to go on members only but I cant remember why?
I think it it would be a good idea if someone attempted to apply some words to what has been put forward so far?
Seikou, your probably right that there is a way to digitally detune a recording but I have yet to find out how to do this.
Give me a guitar and im completely at home but put me in a studio and I leave it to the engineers and producers to work their magic.
I only wish I had some of Normans skills to enhance the quality of sound.
Also, im wondering if maybe some more modern style of music should be brought in to entice younger blood to step forward with some input? Will the real 777 stand up? Lol
Thank you for your comments, they are greatly and humbly appreciated.

Russ

Hi Russ and All,

Agree with all you've said Russ. I have no problem with it being public, it's hardly a personal or secretive thing - the more input the better and could entice some of the lurkers to join in. Agree with more modern style of music (although I love everything that's been presented). I think 7's rapping skills would be brilliant, have you seen him in full flight? Awesome! I love rap btw, for an old chick, lol. It's modern day poetry.

I think we have all bases covered here with musical gifts. And don't forget Church - he's a sound engineer! (Although he may be too busy atm).

Calabash
25th February 2014, 18:54
Love/d this - really nice to groove to in a hip-hop kinda way

So different to Walk in the Park but just as good - Tony has a great voice . . . (you know, I think I might be in lurve . . . [sigh])

Again very different to the above, but powerful nevertheless.

I love the depth of your guitar, Russ - you really make it croon (apols - in band speak I should have said "axe" – however, when I substituted it the word, it sounded a little weird and creepy, so guitar it remains! – for this post anyway . . .) J

Though you say you play heavy classic rock as a rule, 10cc's "I'm not in love" is, arguably, one of the greatest songs ever - even my dad loves it - lol . . . . ha ha ha

Having listened to Modwiz, Highland, Norman . . . . . what an extremely talented bunch we have on the forum don’t we? Norman, with your mixing skills, am I right in thinking that you can make an out of tune foghorn (me) sound like Ella Fitzgerald?

PurpleLama
25th February 2014, 20:50
Ah, Mod, the thought that this thread should be private stemmed from the idea that the public should be apprised only of the finished pieces, with all the hemming and hawing going on behind the scenes. I for one might be more inclined to share verses, should I be inspired to contribute, if the sharing were done away from the google searchable eye. That being said, I would not deride a consensus should it say otherwise, or the OP or anyone else for that matter.

norman
25th February 2014, 21:59
Ah, Mod, the thought that this thread should be private stemmed from the idea that the public should be apprised only of the finished pieces, with all the hemming and hawing going on behind the scenes. I for one might be more inclined to share verses, should I be inspired to contribute, if the sharing were done away from the google searchable eye. That being said, I would not deride a consensus should it say otherwise, or the OP or anyone else for that matter.

Yea, I was kinda hoping this thread wasn't wide open the world too.

For me, there's something similar between the creative processes and sex. You just don't do these things in public - for the public. Or, being very proud of your kids doesn't equate to being a sexual exhibitionist.

Highland1
25th February 2014, 22:09
Yea, I was kinda hoping this thread wasn't wide open the world too.

For me, there's something similar between the creative processes and sex. You just don't do these things in public - for the public. Or, being very proud of your kids doesn't equate to being a sexual exhibitionist.

Its a bizarre world Norman, the public seem to accept war and the bombing of the enemy ( innocent woman and children) and yet making love in public would be deemed as obscene....

just sayin... :back to topic:

Russ

modwiz
25th February 2014, 22:56
If we had a forum with a lot of posters and content, then the one of the most popular threads here going unseen would be of little note. However, TOT has a modest membership Some members rarely post or post quick replies. Little content, for the forum, develops from that.

One of the reasons for coming out of my shell and opening a maintained thread was to create a happening here at TOT. Something for visitors to read and enjoy, hopefully. Something that would make them want to join and participate.

Lastly there is something important going on here, IMO. That is a demonstration of taking ideas to reality. How well does a project develop without management. Will management be necessary? How much cohesion develops 'organically'?

Any project is a microcosm of project Humanity. All things learned are applicable.

This is an experiment, about us, our ideas and our ability to self manage. All part of true sovereignty.

So, between wanting TOT to have content for visitors, there is also the social experiment aspect of it that needs eyes or it is not a 'social' experiment but, a semi-private one. Ideas can be done by PM for those who want less eyes. It protects their privacy while protecting our out-reaching forum platform.

Hope that is helpful.

modwiz
25th February 2014, 23:49

Then perhaps another members only thread for just that purpose. Another opportunity to self manage. For us members they will both be visible and easy to negotiate. As unpretty as hemming and hawing can get, it can still be useful to spotlight the dysfunctions that can make challenging tasks harder and easy ones more challenging. That is just me trying to move humanity forward by coming to terms with our dysfunctions. Nothing like a spotlight for some serious 'aha' moments.

However, we don't want members withholding because of whatever reason so, I would like to suggest a parallel members only thread with members being mindful that we have a forum to support with our content/posts and use the members only thread for reasons of privacy/discretion.

I am aware of the issue of quantity not being quality but, there is a point where it does matter. If one is hungry, they may choose a big mac over a tablespoon of organic peas. In such a case, quantity trumps quality. Humble little TOT could use some quantity. The quality is not in question.

modwiz
25th February 2014, 23:53
:ha: Given that no members have been to this thread in over an hour, I am glad at least some visitors can view it.

Make that two hours. Or else, no one liked my posts.:(:hmm::cry:

Seikou-Kishi
26th February 2014, 01:38
If we had a forum with a lot of posters and content, then the one of the most popular threads here going unseen would be of little note. However, TOT has a modest membership Some members rarely post or post quick replies. Little content, for the forum, develops from that.

One of the reasons for coming out of my shell and opening a maintained thread was to create a happening here at TOT. Something for visitors to read and enjoy, hopefully. Something that would make them want to join and participate.

Lastly there is something important going on here, IMO. That is a demonstration of taking ideas to reality. How well does a project develop without management. Will management be necessary? How much cohesion develops 'organically'?

Any project is a microcosm of project Humanity. All things learned are applicable.

This is an experiment, about us, our ideas and our ability to self manage. All part of true sovereignty.

So, between wanting TOT to have content for visitors, there is also the social experiment aspect of it that needs eyes or it is not a 'social' experiment but, a semi-private one. Ideas can be done by PM for those who want less eyes. It protects their privacy while protecting our out-reaching forum platform.

Hope that is helpful.

I think you more than anybody have brought people in lately. There are a handful of new members who bring real contribution and fresh and profound insight and, as far as I can see, they've all been brought in for the chance to engage with you in Rhosgobel.

Fred Steeves
26th February 2014, 02:07
and use the members only thread for reasons of privacy/discretion.

So long as copy/paste and screen shots are kept in mind.

Highland1
26th February 2014, 07:55
I was sitting on the corner
Just a wasting my time
When a girl came up to me and asked me for a dime.
I said “girl i ain,t got a dime”
But i do have the time to make some sweet music

She gave me a smile
A light in her eye
My luck was in that i knew
She gave me that look
And her hand i took.

Our passion burned it was hot with love,
The heat off me would not recede,
All night long we breathed together.
Wishing this night would last forever.

She loved me as no woman has.
Bringing tears of love and joy.
Knowing me in every way.
Making me the man i am today.

I was sitting on the corner just a wasting my time.
Looking at the body.
That i could not believe was mine.

I did,nt have a dime
But she came for me,
To take me home,
With a smile on her face and a light in her eye.

Together we fly.

To make sweet music,sweet sweet music.

Although several members have contributed some interesting and even humourous lyrics so far, I think this contribution from Ronin is the most workable simply because within the words there is rhyme and therefore timing and beat?
I would like to motion that we try write some melody and beat to these lyrics as serious effort has gone into writing them in the first place.
Besides, modz, norman and myself, are there any other members here who have access to music recording software?
It may be that no one else has and therefore find themselves not being able to demonstrate and put forward their musical ideas?
For those without music recording software, most mobile phones record sound and video. So why not just sing or hum a melody and post it on the forum?
That may sound daunting and even intimidating given some of the experienced musicians already here but its actually a simple idea that we can collectively work with.
some of the greatest songs ever written have been scribbled on pieces of paper in a matter of minutes, and they have been born from simple creative imagination.
There is more creative imagination in this forum that pretty much anywhere else imo, so how about it folks?
Any melodies for Ronins words anyone?

Russ

norman
26th February 2014, 14:51
the public seem to accept war and the bombing of the enemy ( innocent woman and children) and yet making love in public would be deemed as obscene....

I don't think I was quite understood. It's not about obscenity. We choose our intimacies, and those intimacies are how these things get done.

I know no one here is suggesting the state claims our kids and brings them up, but the dynamic contrast is relevant here, I think.

Highland1
27th February 2014, 13:37
Hello again lovely people.

Thanks to Malcolm, I am attempting to use the zippylink website he provided us to upload an mp3 direct from my home pc through the zippylink server to our forum to see if it works.

http://www45.zippyshare.com/v/30078390/file.html

Please let me know if indeed it does?

For those of you wondering what this tune is, it started of as a melody in my head and at the time I was unsure whether it was original or not.

After many people had a listen it then came to light that the intro riff is a modern rocked up version of The Shadows Man Of Mystery. ( darn it!)

I guess it must have been buried in my subconscious from my childhood years and suddenly appeared when I was looking to write a new song.

The rest of the song to the best of my knowledge is original, and I just let it evolve from the guitar intro into a vocal part, bridge and then guitar solo part.

I was unsuccessful trying to find a vocalist to sing over the vocal part so I rather self indulgently just ripped some unnecessary guitar solos over instead, because it felt good at the time.
In my defence, the guitar solos were done in one take so its warts and all with a few wee bloopers which will be noticed by those with critical hearing...lol

This is a much heavier sort of music from my previous offerings but to be fair it is the style that I am most at ease with as I am an active rock guitarist anyway.

Having said that folks, I am not bias musically and have some tribal type dance rhythms with a rock guitar rhythm overlay should anyone want to hear them.

Hope you enjoy!

Russ

The One
27th February 2014, 14:11
Hi russ

It does work great guitar also the mp3 tags should now work

Highland1
27th February 2014, 14:20
Thank you Malc I appreciate your comments.

Where are the mp3 tags please mate?

Russ

The One
27th February 2014, 15:04
When you start a new thread you will now see this additional image http://jandeane81.com/images/editor/mp3_bb.png

Or if you just want to reply to my post russ click go advance and you will see the icon.Click that icon then put your mp3 link between them

Remember it will have to be a valid mp3 to work

cheers

Highland1
27th February 2014, 15:09
Wonderful, thanks mate!

Russ

Calabash
27th February 2014, 19:34
When you start a new thread you will now see this additional image http://jandeane81.com/images/editor/mp3_bb.png

Or if you just want to reply to my post russ click go advance and you will see the icon.Click that icon then put your mp3 link between them

Remember it will have to be a valid mp3 to work

cheers

You are so clever Malc - I wonder whether you do home visits as I have a list . . . . . ? :)

The One
27th February 2014, 19:46
You are so clever Malc - I wonder whether you do home visits as I have a list . . . . . ? :)

Well thank you for your kind comments, now if only the wife agreed with me being so clever lol

norman
27th February 2014, 20:49
I've joined up at zippyshare too :)

Here's me playing "Twang" all over the chorus of David Gray's 'Babylon', back in the days when I used to actually practice guitar and could pull it off pretty convincingly.

MYJAM_041_(babylon chorus).mp3 (http://www35.zippyshare.com/v/84638958/file.html)

http://www35.zippyshare.com/v/84638958/file.html]MYJAM_041_(babylon chorus).mp3

... err..... still can't get the player to work with the file. Click the link above.

The One
27th February 2014, 21:48

Here's me playing "Twang" all over the chorus of David Gray's 'Babylon', back in the days when I used to actually practice guitar and could pull it off pretty convincingly.

MYJAM_041_(babylon chorus).mp3 (http://www35.zippyshare.com/v/84638958/file.html)

... err..... still can't get the player to work with the file. Click the link above.

Its got to be a valid mp3 link or it wont work

Zippyshare is good as it does not use our server lol but it does not give you a direct mp3 link once you upload it.At least you can post direct on tot

Highland1
27th February 2014, 21:56

Hey Norman that is sweet guitar playing there mate!
There is a beautiful melodic softness that compliments the song for the better imo.
I would like to hear more please!

Regards

Russ

The One
27th February 2014, 22:06
Test

http://www.tonycuffe.com/mp3/tail%20toddle.mp3

modwiz
27th February 2014, 22:31
Let's see.
http://k002.kiwi6.com/hotlink/e81528p05k/manic_depression.mp3

This worked.

This site has free upload, storage and it provides a hotlink option with the 3 share options. It also stays on their servers and won't clog TOT's.

http://kiwi6.com/

The song posted is from a concert back in '88. A little acid rock from one who knew it well.

Highland1
27th February 2014, 22:34
The babylon link works for me guys?

Russ

modwiz
27th February 2014, 23:05
OK A fun one. Nappy Together.

http://k003.kiwi6.com/hotlink/w0j26zc562/Nappytogether.mp3

norman
28th February 2014, 02:12
I'll get my coat.........

http://k007.kiwi6.com/hotlink/u1cpxzxrut/Missingulikeido.mp3

http://kiwi6.com/file/u1cpxzxrut

Highland1
28th February 2014, 07:34
I look forward to checking those tunes out this evening guys!
Cmon ladies, there must be at least one of you holding back from letting us share your past musical.ventures?

Russ

modwiz
28th February 2014, 14:52
I'll get my coat.........

http://k007.kiwi6.com/hotlink/u1cpxzxrut/Missingulikeido.mp3

http://kiwi6.com/file/u1cpxzxrut

Norman, I really liked that. Great words and style. Nice guitar.

ronin
28th February 2014, 18:39
keep all the twerking you want real music comes from the soul.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPB2qbxuiLM

ronin
28th February 2014, 18:49
for those who cannot play but feel.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxusA6dp1J4

norman
28th February 2014, 19:56
ok, another, it's not really a p*ss*ng contest, we're just getting our yayas out, right?

http://k007.kiwi6.com/hotlink/gwridr442d/Wanderer.mp3

http://kiwi6.com/file/gwridr442d

thanks MZs that was a beam of light, perfect.

This guitar is a Godin Acusticaster going through a tad too much cheap reverb - and a BOSS limiter pedal.

modwiz
28th February 2014, 20:11
ok, another, it's not really a p*ss*ng contest, we're just getting our yayas out, right?

http://kiwi6.com/file/gwridr442d

Correct. Get 'em out!:thup:

Pleasant ride. What kind of guitar are you playing?

norman
28th February 2014, 20:29
Where IS the correct code?

The site doesn't seem very helpful for that kind of thing. It's hit and miss. I linked a file last night and it wouldn't play in the player. I tried it again a couple of hours later and it worked fine ( even without it being a link that ended in .mp3 )

I'm stumped.

modwiz
28th February 2014, 20:33
Where IS the correct code?

The site doesn't seem very helpful for that kind of thing. It's hit and miss. I linked a file last night and it wouldn't play in the player. I tried it again a couple of hours later and it worked fine ( even without it being a link that ended in .mp3 )

I'm stumped.

I grab the middle code they offer. Direct hotlink. Have to click the share arrow to access the links.

modwiz
28th February 2014, 20:41
I had posted this in the past but, it can go another round.

I thought I was going to record an idea for a song. Instead, a whole song came out. This is the only take of a song that wasn't written when the recording began. It worked out well enough for me to set the music to the appropriate pictures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBr1XyzpaoU

BabaRa
28th February 2014, 21:05
So much talent and so little time; but I'm slowly working my way through - and I must say, I love them all for different reasons.

ronin
28th February 2014, 21:14
I had posted this in the past but, it can go another round.

I thought I was going to record an idea for a song. Instead, a whole song came out. This is the only take of a song that wasn't written when the recording began. It worked out well enough for me to set the music to the appropriate pictures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBr1XyzpaoU

that was great WizdoM worked well with the images.

modwiz
28th February 2014, 21:35
The Flying With Faerie song is recorded in 432. As are the three song pieces I posted for TOT song consideration.

ronin
28th February 2014, 21:51
maybe there should be a thread just for 432hz music.

BabaRa
28th February 2014, 21:56
for those who cannot play but feel.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxusA6dp1J4

On ronin, thank you for reminding me of this movie and it's message: The music is all around you, all you have to do is listen!

modwiz
1st March 2014, 00:07
Very interesting lyrics in this song. Recorded live live in Woodstock but, excellent sound going through a mixing board. I'm the bass player. Good rhythm section work in this song.

http://k007.kiwi6.com/hotlink/03boc6kw0m/oedipus_next_mother_joan.mp3

norman
1st March 2014, 02:56
I listened to that 5 times and still not sure if I got all the words. Definitely not trying to be popular.

Here's one for Russ to take apart:

http://k007.kiwi6.com/hotlink/qe9dc0wqxc/The_What.mp3
http://k007.kiwi6.com/hotlink/qe9dc0wqxc/The_What.mp3

And then there's this, half way back into playing the studio instead of the guitar:
http://k007.kiwi6.com/hotlink/hkx3w5pwof/I_CAN_FEEL_YOUR_PAIN.mp3
http://k007.kiwi6.com/hotlink/hkx3w5pwof/I_CAN_FEEL_YOUR_PAIN.mp3

Highland1
1st March 2014, 07:18
These music links do not work from my ( not so) smart phone?

Russ

Calabash
5th March 2014, 12:32
The music thread has gone a little cold in the last few days.

I heard from Ria today in a general round (update) robin. Some of you may have had the same message. Here's a relevant quote from it where she talks about the website she hosts with Kathy and Rahkyt:

" . . . . . Our aim is to creat a hub of different interests, as well as exchange and share skills, work on projects, what ever it takes to create what WE won't for healthy co-existence, this can include bartering, if you have a good source of organic gm free seeds to exchange, home made items, exhibiting you creations, we hope to have a music room for those folks who wish to jam together, if you know an app let Mark/rahkyt know"

Let me know if you have any interest and I will forward details. As for us, we'd better get it on . . . . :)

modwiz
5th March 2014, 13:02
The music thread has gone a little cold in the last few days.

Agreed. Perhaps it was an idea du jour(s) arising from the bonhomie of the tent. It was fun while it lasted.

Mars Planitia
5th March 2014, 13:43
Did anyone say music creation? Me loves music. 432Hz is even better. They also make Native Flutes in that key as well. As this is the natural key.

If i may add my audition video to this thread: Ramble On! In the darkest steps of Mordor, i met a girl so fair, but gollum the evil one crept up and slipt away with her, her, her.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdOkcCg4tbQ

modwiz
5th March 2014, 15:58
Really good job on that song, WF. I play all of my personal music in 432 these days. I feels so right. There is a real difference on my body and consciousness using this tuning.

Highland1
23rd December 2014, 01:31
Talk about a fantastic idea simmering away but not yet started to materialise......?

Although Modz laid down some ace guitar rhytym riffs , Zepp style, nothing else has evolved?

I kinda need a basic rhythm or beat to get me going and properly attune my ears to this subtle frequency, so erm....Norman, my gut instinct tells me you are da man to get things a rolling?

Any other takers wanna put a percussive or maybe lyrical feel to start it off finally?

Why is it that I think Sooz might a somewhat burlesque part to play.....lol

That there Mr Parsnip knows all the bass hooks and I guess Ben is the real slim lady.... sorry Ben! lol

So come on artistes among us, lets show his nuggetship we know how to rock without "Breakin The Law".....

Russ sleeks off into corner waiting for someone else to start it off.............since lasr February :o)

modwiz
23rd December 2014, 01:54
Any project needs a manager. A capable, familiar with the turf, manager. That is why the TOT song died. It was a fun idea that came and went for me. It would be great for Norman to get involved. He is a very talented musician.

BTW, I laid down 3 different feels. One of them was a Motown feel.

Terra
23rd December 2014, 07:50
Nice job Whitefeather, loved it... :)

Asquali :tiphat:

Sooz
23rd December 2014, 09:23
Talk about a fantastic idea simmering away but not yet started to materialise......?

Although Modz laid down some ace guitar rhytym riffs , Zepp style, nothing else has evolved?

I kinda need a basic rhythm or beat to get me going and properly attune my ears to this subtle frequency, so erm....Norman, my gut instinct tells me you are da man to get things a rolling?

Any other takers wanna put a percussive or maybe lyrical feel to start it off finally?

Why is it that I think Sooz might a somewhat burlesque part to play.....lol

That there Mr Parsnip knows all the bass hooks and I guess Ben is the real slim lady.... sorry Ben! lol

So come on artistes among us, lets show his nuggetship we know how to rock without "Breakin The Law".....

Russ sleeks off into corner waiting for someone else to start it off.............since lasr February :o)

It was a great idea, and yes Norman is 'the man' as far as audio is concerned. Me? Burlesque? Um, I don't think so Russ, lol...maybe 'songfully'?... Yep Mr Parsnip is a good muso, Ben is our resident rap/poet/artist.

I agree, it needs a manager. Given most of us have jobs or businesses to run and families, that could be a tall order...any takers?

I hope Norman doesn't mind me saying this, but I did engage his help in doing voice-overs on my favourite songs to leave for posterity, the hopeful Grandchilddren yet to be conceived. Norman was most helpful and offered a plethora of advice. Must admit I got a bit gun-shy as my voice is not like it used to be. My voice was trained waaaay back as a coloturo soprano. I can hardly hold a tune now because I don't sing anymore.

You don't use it? You lose it.:cry:

It would be a shame to lose all the great creative input on this thread.

norman
23rd December 2014, 09:29
As I remember it, the energy jumped out of this thread into the 432 music thread and then abstracted itself out of perception range.

I've just been back to read much of this thread to see if I can get a grip on what's possible here.

1) we have to agree, first, on whether or not to use 440/432 etc.

2) as an internet hookup in live real time is just about impossible to do, we would be sending files to each other and adding stuff and sending on.

3) Modwiz is likely to be the wildcard in the pack, because, well, because he's Modwiz ;)

4) it ain't a wrap until it's got a 777 rap init.

5) I don't use sequencer software ( for the same reason Russ get's peed off with it ). All my mixes, so far, are dragged into being free-hand in an app called 'n-track studio' version3 ( the current version is far too bloated and complex ). I prep the parts for that with an old app called Cooledit Pro2 ( Adobe bought it out and made it into Adobe Audition - partially wrecking it in the process )

6 I can't think of a clear way to get the ball rolling with everyone ( who wants to be IN ) focused in one idea at a time.

7 errr..................

over to you folks again.

norman
23rd December 2014, 09:38
........You don't use it? You lose it.:cry:

Yea, I know, I'm the same with guitar playing.

Highland1
23rd December 2014, 11:16
Burlesque? Um, I don't think so Russ, lol...maybe 'songfully'?...

Forgive my ridiculous infantile humour Sooz, I was a wee bit tipsy last night and sometimes the whisky makes me a tad frisky! lol

This thread is not dead folks, it is purely hibernating until someone feels inspired to get it started.

As Norman stated earlier, one needs the tools of the trade to record and capture ideas and then is the problem of how to get impetus from others.

Now it just so happens I have some basic facilities to record at home ( Cubase sx5 ) amongst sequencers and a couple of guitars.

So, my new year resolution, is to try write something new such as an instrumental, post it here and see if we can shape it together?

The challenge of course, is to find something musical that we all like as I suspect we have all got such diverse personal tastes in music.

Perhaps something humorous and a little catchy would do the trick?

Russ

norman
23rd December 2014, 11:20
.....Perhaps something humorous and a little catchy would do the trick....?

Russ

I think you've got it, there, Russ.

Very well informed humor, sounds like the ticket.

Sooz
23rd December 2014, 11:30
I agree, this thread is far from dead. From the beginning I thought something great could come from this.

Might take a little time, but there are big seeds in this thread for germinating.

Everyone, put your thoughts in, every one counts.

modwiz
23rd December 2014, 11:32
Forgive my ridiculous infantile humour Sooz, I was a wee bit tipsy last night and sometimes the whisky makes me a tad frisky! lol

This thread is not dead folks, it is purely hibernating until someone feels inspired to get it started.

As Norman stated earlier, one needs the tools of the trade to record and capture ideas and then is the problem of how to get impetus from others.

Now it just so happens I have some basic facilities to record at home ( Cubase sx5 ) amongst sequencers and a couple of guitars.

So, my new year resolution, is to try write something new such as an instrumental, post it here and see if we can shape it together?

The challenge of course, is to find something musical that we all like as I suspect we have all got such diverse personal tastes in music.

Perhaps something humorous and a little catchy would do the trick?

Russ

If non-musicians offered lyrics, in a song friendly form preferably but, sometimes the scattered stuff pops out gems. (Ronin)

Following that I would like to offer the concept of a TOT song compendium, where different writers take some lyrics and put it to music. Then, a tot song. With musicians and and non-musicians could result with more of a true group effort as an end result. Varied musical tastes would become part of a collage instead of providing possible points of artistic contention. Collaborations with melodies or otherwise could happen. Whatever that looks like.

Just some thoughts.

norman
23rd December 2014, 11:35
......Varied musical tastes would become part of a collage instead of providing possible points of artistic contention......

Top thinking, Wizzard.

Sooz
23rd December 2014, 11:44
Don't want to put 777 on the spot, but I kinda sense he might be able to start it off, just some words off the kick? Doesn't have to be final....just some thought starters.

777, if my post is not welcome, feel free to tell me to go forth and multiply, lol.....:smile2:

modwiz
23rd December 2014, 11:48
feel free to tell me to go forth and multiply, lol.....:smile2:

Multiply?!?!? :Seffect::nails:

Calabash
23rd December 2014, 11:52
Oh my word - I was just re-reading this thread last night (along with early tent talk - wonderful stuff :)), and thinking what a shame that it came to nowt.

Here's a vid already posted on the Listening to thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJtq6OmD-_Y, which could be the way for us to go, or lead to more ideas. Maybe it could be set up on skype to do this . . . ?

Once the melody is decided (and a working title) then perhaps we can all have a bash at the words. Humorous you say . . . . (note to self to now visit the jokes thread . . . . :) - lol. Perhaps there are nuggets in forum threads and we could select the best sentences/statements . . .?

norman
23rd December 2014, 12:05
Here's a vid already posted on the Listening to thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJtq6OmD-_Y, which could be the way for us to go, or lead to more ideas. Maybe it could be set up on skype to do this . . . ?

That's a great video but I don't believe it's really possible to do that with current technology. I'm sure they hooked up to play together, and that's amazing in itself, but if the recording ended up in sync I'll eat my boots.

More likely they were all recorded independently ( possible with timecode from a satellite ) and the parts were sent to one location where the engineer either synched the time code or did it by ear. The video footage would have been done likewise.

I'd like someone who knows about such stuff to put me wise if I'm underrating the technology. I'd like to be able to it.

edit:

errr...when I think about it more, I'm not even sure they really played 'together'. A couple of reasons. Any signal delay would be greater in getting to their headphones than to the recorder, making performers with delayed headphone monitoring drop off the back of the beat and that would screw everyone else up, it would fall apart. Also, no one was in night time darkness in that video.

23rd December 2014, 12:34
Don't want to put 777 on the spot, but I kinda sense he might be able to start it off, just some words off the kick? Doesn't have to be final....just some thought starters.

777, if my post is not welcome, feel free to tell me to go forth and multiply, lol.....:smile2:

My pen has been retired for 18 months but I'm sure it could bleed again for this.....

I likesh it :rock:

Calabash
23rd December 2014, 17:45
That's a great video but I don't believe it's really possible to do that with current technology. I'm sure they hooked up to play together, and that's amazing in itself, but if the recording ended up in sync I'll eat my boots.

More likely they were all recorded independently ( possible with timecode from a satellite ) and the parts were sent to one location where the engineer either synched the time code or did it by ear. The video footage would have been done likewise.

I'd like someone who knows about such stuff to put me wise if I'm underrating the technology. I'd like to be able to it.

edit:

errr...when I think about it more, I'm not even sure they really played 'together'. A couple of reasons. Any signal delay would be greater in getting to their headphones than to the recorder, making performers with delayed headphone monitoring drop off the back of the beat and that would screw everyone else up, it would fall apart. Also, no one was in night time darkness in that video.

Thanks Norman. I have emailed Playing for Change to ask how the video was put together and if they reply I will post it here. In my view the backing was made first and then sent to all participants who sang the complete song and then sent it back to source who edited it/joined it together. I am a complete novice (natch) who probably doesn't understand the difficulties involved. But it was just an idea . . .

norman
23rd December 2014, 18:02
In my view the backing was made first and then sent to all participants who sang the complete song and then sent it back to source who edited it/joined it together.

I think that's said it about spot on.

I was looking at a few of their videos on youtube. There are a lot of them.

If we could get Arthur Nauman / Henry Deacon involved, he could sort out the super fast comm's for us and we could be the first forum on the internet to release a REAL "one-world" spectacular !

They used some pretty fancy fast ( and reliable ) comm's to fly those planes into the towers. Allegedly, Arthur was involved with the super fast comm's for that. It's quite likely that the same tech' is used in the military drones that blow up people in Afghanistan etc. It's not that the tech' doesn't exist, it's just not been handed down for us to play with it yet.

norman
23rd December 2014, 22:07

I hear ya Russ...............

I've just spent a couple of hours digging in my external hard drives looking for stuff.

I've created a folder that's about 800 Mb. Now what do I do to get it to you?

I suppose I should upload it to filemail dot com for you.

I don't mind if you use all of it, some of it, or none of it. If it just pricks your own imagination I'll be chuffed.

watch out for a PM with a URL for a download sometime soon.

[ oh, here's a great tip for when you plug the guitar in and wonder what the hell to do next. You'll usually find that the key of Dm will do the trick, where most of this stuff is concerned ]

Calabash
23rd December 2014, 22:18
I think that's said it about spot on.

I was looking at a few of their videos on youtube. There are a lot of them.

If we could get Arthur Nauman / Henry Deacon involved, he could sort out the super fast comm's for us and we could be the first forum on the internet to release a REAL "one-world" spectacular !

They used some pretty fancy fast ( and reliable ) comm's to fly those planes into the towers. Allegedly, Arthur was involved with the super fast comm's for that. It's quite likely that the same tech' is used in the military drones that blow up people in Afghanistan etc. It's not that the tech' doesn't exist, it's just not been handed down for us to play with it yet.

You are so funny Norman . . . .

Calabash
25th December 2014, 21:32
Just to bump the thread and keep it current, here's a link to how the video (and others like it) was made - I notice another Playing for Change song posted by Stoat Muldoon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playing_for_Change

norman
25th December 2014, 22:55
Just to bump the thread and keep it current, here's a link to how the video (and others like it) was made - I notice another Playing for Change song posted by Stoat Muldoon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playing_for_Change

“With a voice like yours, why are you singing on the streets?” Roger replied, “Man I’m in the Joy business, I come out to be with the people.”

That's from the wiki page Calabash linked to.

26th December 2014, 10:10
Ok guys, it might not be everyone's cup of tea but it could prove as a basis for ideas or a start. Please feel free to pick holes, dissect, use, don't use and pillage as you feel appropriate, I'm not precious!

When the clouds gather above with a populace cowering under,

Two towers that crumbled to the ground, we make sounds in our dungeons.

They sought to supersede the powers we come with as humans,

An astounding assumption as we amass a boundless repugnance.

Any search for the truth is a simple aspersion in lieu,

Girthy and brooding and certainly fruitful for personal prudence.

IN DIRT WE ASSUME RIGHT HERE on Mother Earth that we grew on,

Your "not so perfect" illusion's DOOMED as the circle concludes.....

I was born of a race that was beaten and taught to be grateful,

Of every single morsel they gave when it falls from the table,

But fortune and fate still had a portion to play

In a tall little tale of planetary ball from the Source of Creation....

Sooz
26th December 2014, 11:32
Ok guys, it might not be everyone's cup of tea but it could prove as a basis for ideas or a start. Please feel free to pick holes, dissect, use, don't use and pillage as you feel appropriate, I'm not precious!

Cool Mirror! I knew you would bring something to the table. I had a dream last night with an intro sentence which was schizophrenic in nature (in that it had two meanings). As I was lucid dreaming, I reminded myself to remember it, but now I can't. It was kind of profound in my dream, lol...

Anyway if comes back to me, I will certainly post it. Perhaps it will come back to me tonight when I dream again. Will keep a pen and pad handy by my bedside to capture dream thoughts.

It was just a first sentence to start things off, that someone else could run with and others could finish.:whstl:

26th December 2014, 11:45
Excellent Sooz, lucidity is a breeding ground for raw creation! Lets hope it comes back to you in due course. I think this should be organic, which in my view should begin from a beat and simple riff, even just a bass riff that we can then layer according to our skill sets. Words are great but I often find the music sets the muse for the lyrics and not the other way around, but then that's just me, others are probably totally opposite!

norman
28th December 2014, 21:44
...................................... collage ..............................

Collage,.....huh

WARNING - it's a bit intense.

https://app.box.com/s/ghs04tlsdq7v5fjda3qs

Calabash
30th December 2014, 23:06
Thanks Norman. I have emailed Playing for Change to ask how the video was put together and if they reply I will post it here. In my view the backing was made first and then sent to all participants who sang the complete song and then sent it back to source who edited it/joined it together. I am a complete novice (natch) who probably doesn't understand the difficulties involved. But it was just an idea . . .

FWIW just had an email back from Playing for Change:
"Playing For Change
20:39 (3 hours ago)

Hi Linda,

Thank you for contacting Playing For Change! Your initiative sounds great! We are so glad you share our passion for connecting the world through music, and we thank you for your support.

We do receive a fair amount of requests for information on our recording process, and I can tell you that it's slightly different every time we record. The recording and editing processes are always done though by our highly experienced team, including Emmy award-winning producer Mark Johnson and co-producer Enzo Buono.

The team begins with a basic track of the song they wish to record (often times they'll start with a click or rhythm track, other times we'll start with the guitar; it really depends on the song and the artists we're working with), and they have each musician wear headphones and play while listening to that track. After recording each musician, they add them to the track and then the musicians they record next are listening to the previously recorded musicians as well. So it starts with a simple track and builds as they record different musicians around the world. Our production team uses a laptop with an Mbox or any interface that is powered by a computer (USB or Firewire), along with Grace preamps & Schoeps microphones. At the end, they edit the video and audio to create the best sound and look possible.

So while we do actually travel to record musicians, it seems your best bet may be to have folks record their own videos via iMovie or something basic, all listening to the backing track in headphones. We did something similar for our La Bamba fan video contest, so check out this page to see what we requested of people so we could edit the clips into the song.

I hope this is somewhat helpful -- best of luck to you!

One Love,

Emily"

norman
30th December 2014, 23:31
Thanks Linda. That's pretty much how I imagined it.

Sounds like they don't skimp on gear. Grace pre-amps and schoeps microphones are about as high-end as you get, certainly in terms of purchase costs. Someone is backing the project with plenty of oomph.

Calabash
30th December 2014, 23:36
I admit that all of that went over my head somewhat but I guess it's still good to know. Something to bear in mind if one of us ever win the lottery :)
In the meantime, back to the ol' spoons and washboard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TS9ugnarQQ

what washboard . . .? oh well, there's room for me . . .

norman
1st January 2015, 00:39

Sisters and brothers, hark and remember, the rain from those clouds in our roots in the dirt

Reach out and say what's ................................................ ?

Calabash
9th January 2015, 11:46
Can my musical brothers/sisters tell me what a bridge is? I'm looking on the internet and relating it to certain tunes (The Beatles seem to have a lot of bridges in their work). I know it's (often) a different tune/key that links the verses but is there any more to it than that? What does that term mean to you - layman's terms please . . . . :)

norman
9th January 2015, 11:53
In a song, "the bridge" is what they call a section of music that is neither a verse nor a chorus but is an opportunity to be a bit flashy, usually.

It's the bit where the tune takes a little break from the main structure.

Calabash
9th January 2015, 12:02
In a song, "the bridge" is what they call a section of music that is neither a verse nor a chorus but is an opportunity to be a bit flashy, usually.

It's the bit where the tune takes a little break from the main structure.

Thanks Norman - so, is it the place to make the whole point of the song - as opposed to putting it in the chorus/title for instance . . .?

norman
9th January 2015, 12:12
Thanks Norman - so, is it the place to make the whole point of the song - as opposed to putting it in the chorus/title for instance . . .?

It CAN be, and sometimes IS, but really just adds more dimension to the song that otherwise could be quite flat from start to finish.

Ironically, the piano part of the Simon and Garfunkel song "Bridge over troubled waters" is almost all one big "bridge" . I love it.