PDA

View Full Version : Researchers grow human lungs in lab for first time

skywizard
19th February 2014, 22:33
http://a57.foxnews.com/global.fncstatic.com/static/managed/img/Health/660/371/LUNGS.JPG?ve=1&tl=1

In a breakthrough that could one day revolutionize transplant medicine, researchers have successfully grown human lungs in a lab for the first time, Medical News Today reported.

Using portions of lungs from two deceased children, researchers from the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston created a scaffold-like structure by stripping one set of lungs down to just collagen and elastin – the main components in connective tissue.

The researchers then gathered cells from the other set of lungs and applied them to the scaffolding, before placing it in a chamber filled with nutritious liquid. Four weeks later, the team had a complete human lung – and they were able to successfully repeat the procedure using another set of lungs.

The researchers first developed this technique in 2010, and have since tested the method on rat lungs and pig lungs before testing it on human lungs.

"It's taken us a year to prove to ourselves that we actually did a good job with it. You don't run out immediately and tell the world you have something wonderful until you've proved it to ourselves that we really did something amazing," researcher Dr. Joan Nichols said.

Though the researchers are excited about their discovery, they said it could take a minimum of 12 years before the use of lab-generated lungs in human transplants becomes a reality.

Source: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/02/18/researchers-grow-human-lungs-in-lab-for-first-time/?intcmp=obnetwork

peace...
skywizard

modwiz
19th February 2014, 22:39
I wonder if 'useless eaters' will qualify for new lungs. I guess if they're willing to go into enough debt they might.:crazy:

666(fox)news, eh?

Highland1
19th February 2014, 23:14
They do this to prolong or sustain human life whilst humans poison the lungs of the Earth......
In the the 12 years its going to take them to make this a reality, we could all plant billions of seeds and grow billions of trees.
I doubt if they will be able to grow another Earth after the realisation that this one has been all but been destroyed.

Russ

modwiz
19th February 2014, 23:18
They do this to prolong or sustain human life whilst humans poison the lungs of the Earth......
In the the 12 years its going to take them to make this a reality, we could all plant billions of seeds and grow billions of trees.
I doubt if they will be able to grow another Earth after the realisation that this one has been all but been destroyed.

Russ

Gaia will outlast 'them'. I think She waits to see if we will take action. Her actions would impact those who choose to let the destruction continue.

It would be just. Even if horrific.

Free choice is a double edge sword that needs to be wielded by the handle and not the blade.:shocked: