PDA

View Full Version : Popular Indignation.............

norman
19th February 2014, 02:34
What does it mean?

For me, it's a term the establishment are using in the mainstream media to convert the power of awakening into an intellectually neutered talking point.

I hear the BBC use it more and more.

What do you think is going on with it?

Or, .......................... (go.macro)

modwiz
19th February 2014, 02:59
What does it mean?

For me, it's a term the establishment are using in the mainstream media to convert the power of awakening into an intellectually neutered talking point.

I'm with you. It is a term trying to mask explosive anger as an adolescent's 'hissy fit'.

The language leans towards the dismissive and hints to its listeners to do just that.

Very good point made by you here, Norman.

Sooz
19th February 2014, 03:36
Spot on!

Smacks of condescending arrogance, with a dismissive pat on the head.

The shire I live in, finally gave the nod to fluoridate the water supply a few weeks ago.:mad: This was contrasted in the local rag to where the residents of Byron Bay Shire, successfully clamoured the council to back down and NOT fluoridate. The tone of the article was very dismissive of those 'radical' nut jobs, due to 'popular indignation'.

In mainstream news last weekend, it was all over the papers and on TV about the new study which has come out painting fluoride as lowering IQ etc. (Praise the lord!). But yep my shire will still be going ahead with it.:(

Keep putting one step in front of the other.

That 100th monkey gotta be out there somewhere in da jungle!

(Cue Calz to come swingin' in, lol....)

Take it away Calzy...

Calz
20th February 2014, 13:14
That 100th monkey gotta be out there somewhere in da jungle!

(Cue Calz to come swingin' in, lol....)

Take it away Calzy...

My part of the jungle is having a snowstorm at the moment ...

http://i3.glitter-graphics.org/pub/1792/1792153zq0yrco28s.gif

20th February 2014, 13:32
What does it mean?

Very astute of you Norman. I feel partially violated here (being a uk resident) as it's only now you mention the phrase I realise how I've been subliminally assaulted by it countless times.

I'm annoyed I let this slip past an otherwise sturdy guard :shapeshift:

BabaRa
22nd February 2014, 17:44
I haven't heard that used here in the US, but then, I don't often listen to main street news.

What I have noticed in general, is how language and humor are being used to attempt to steer us in the direction they want.

Seikou-Kishi
22nd February 2014, 17:52
Popular might mean "concerning (the) people", but it has also come to me entirely faddy. Perhaps this specific choice of phraseology is an attempt to dismiss and demean genuine ire. Perhaps they hope thereby to neutralise some of its power. I can imagine people taken in by this phrase turning against such indignation, saying such things as "people just want any excuse to be annoyed these days" or "why is everybody jumping on this bandwagon?"

Perhaps it's an attempt to slyly delegitimise the feelings of the people, and perhaps to try to minimise the number of people daring to moon the system.