PDA

View Full Version : Getting Old

Healthy Skeptic
10th February 2014, 07:24
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e262/pparbo99/Untitledattachment00013_zps2db1d5b4.jpg (http://s41.photobucket.com/user/pparbo99/media/Untitledattachment00013_zps2db1d5b4.jpg.html)

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e262/pparbo99/Untitledattachment00022_zpsab0335e2.jpg (http://s41.photobucket.com/user/pparbo99/media/Untitledattachment00022_zpsab0335e2.jpg.html)

Cheers, HS

Sparky
13th February 2014, 21:00
I love it...the first one. Poking it with a stick and saying "What the Hell is it?" How true kids don't know what books are anymore and schools teach from computers that can change the teaching as frequent as a Wiki page. Can you imagine the confusion with no books to reference?

Just think..."Communist Core" which TPTB have labeled "Common Core" is being implemented world wide.
Even the Catholic Schools have signed up.

Search "Charlotte Thompson Iserbyt" ... lot'sa video interviews
http://www.newswithviews.com/iserbyt/iserbyt114.htm

The One
13th February 2014, 21:12
CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THE KIDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE 1930's 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's AND MAYBE 80'S LOL

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking .

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cakes, white bread and real butter and drank pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem .

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no
lawsuits from these accidents .

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Football teams had trials and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned

HOW TO

DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them!

CONGRATULATIONS!

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

modwiz
13th February 2014, 21:18
CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THE KIDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE 1930's 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's AND MAYBE 80'S LOL

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking .

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cakes, white bread and real butter and drank pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem .

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Football teams had trials and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

HOW TO

DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them!

CONGRATULATIONS!

One of the best posts I have read in a long while.

Healthy Skeptic
16th February 2014, 05:19

HOW TO

DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them!

CONGRATULATIONS!

I'd give you 1,000 Thanks instead of 1 for your Post if I could.
What sort of 'Wimps' are being produced in the last couple of Decades??
I have witnessed this first hand. I have had a couple of 'The Younger Generation' working for me in the past.
At the 'first sign' of 'Trouble' or 'Pressure' they have gone into 'Fits' of 'Rage' and 'thrown tantrums' - because 'Mummy' is not around to hold their hands and 'protect' them from this 'difficult situation'. I am an 50's kid (1958). I find it so difficult to understand how anyone can 'drop their bundle' so quickly and easily.
Sure there are some 'Great Tough Kids' out there, but they are becoming 'few and far between'.
I was 'in shock' when down here in OZ that the 'Powers to Be' banned kids playing on Swings, Monkey Bars and Slides because they were 'Too Dangerous'.
To Whom?? Surely not the kids. More like that down here in OZ parents are now starting to sue the schools and teachers for 'negligence' just like in
the 'Good Old USA'. Soon it will become an offense to Fart (Pardon my Language).
I mean REALLY. I grew up in 'the school of hard knocks' and have seemed to survive this long.
I could go on and on about things like I used to play cricket with only gloves, pads and a protector in the 80's - NO Helmet, thigh, arm protectors...etc.
And yes, I did get hurt! - But it was MY FAULT for not keeping an eye on the ball!! - Not the Cricket Club, Coach...etc
When will we ever get back to SELF ACCOUNTABILITY - Not blaming everyone else.
'Molly Coddling' Kids is going to do 'no good' - They will have to eventually have to face the 'Cruel World' on their own.
Being an 'Overprotective' parent will only make it very, very hard for them.
Sorry for my RANT, Love HS

Sooz
16th February 2014, 06:09
I fully concur HS, and I note we were both born the same year. 1958, lol, I feel like a dinasoar!

I despair sometimes with my beautiful teenage boy, he is SO caught up the matrix. And living with his Dad who is so caught up in it too.

I have seen that description of growing up in the 1950's/60's etc, before, many times - I should send it to my son.

Love Sooz
x

Healthy Skeptic
16th February 2014, 07:10
I fully concur HS, and I note we were both born the same year. 1958, lol, I feel like a dinasoar!

I despair sometimes with my beautiful teenage boy, he is SO caught up the matrix. And living with his Dad who is so caught up in it too.

I have seen that description of growing up in the 1950's/60's etc, before, many times - I should send it to my son.

Love Sooz
x

Hi, Sooz.
Well, we are both old 'barnacles' stuck on the 'ship to the future' - hopefully to a better one.
About your Son, I don't know what age he - or his Father, for that matter is.
I have 5 Nephews and 1 Niece. After they got to 18-19 their 'attitude' to us 'Old People' became far better.
Most of them are Kind, Caring and Loving people - not 'all'.
With Love, HS

P.S. I don't get modwiz's next post - explain it to me

modwiz
16th February 2014, 07:23

Love Sooz
x

Are ye dropping reptile hints here,Sooz?:p

1953 for me.

Sooz
16th February 2014, 08:25
Hi, Sooz.
Well, we are both old 'barnacles' stuck on the 'ship to the future' - hopefully to a better one.
About your Son, I don't know what age he - or his Father, for that matter is.
I have 5 Nephews and 1 Niece. After they got to 18-19 their 'attitude' to us 'Old People' became far better.
Most of them are Kind, Caring and Loving people - not 'all'.
With Love, HS

P.S. I don't get modwiz's next post - explain it to me

Hi HS,

I am hoping my 15 year old son will come back to me at some stage. It causes me great heartache.

His Dad is 11 years younger than me.

As to Modz cryptic comment, I have no idea, you will have to ask him, lol....

Sooz
16th February 2014, 08:27
Are ye dropping reptile hints here,Sooz?:p

1953 for me.

Reptile hints?

Perhaps you could be clearer in your communique, Modz.

You like 'clean messages' remember?

modwiz
16th February 2014, 08:44
Reptile hints?

Perhaps you could be clearer in your communique, Modz.

You like 'clean messages' remember?

Really? You said you feel like a dinosaur.(My pardon for spelling it right:shocked:). Don't see the cryptic there.

Senile, yes.:p

So let me....:hugs:

Clarity in conversations. Humor is always sketchy.:ok:

Sooz
16th February 2014, 09:01
Really? You said you feel like a dinosaur.(My pardon for spelling it right:shocked:). Don't see the cryptic there.

Senile, yes.:p

So let me....:hugs:

Clarity in conversations. Humor is always sketchy.:ok:

Ah, as usual you are very good at doing the sidestep dance.

Yep, I know I spelt dinosaur wrong, couldn't be arsed to fix it. Maybe you have a spellcheck, I don't.:p

Gotta get back to INXS doco drama on TV, lol...hardly ever watch TV, but this is good gear...gotta love Michael Hutchence!

modwiz
16th February 2014, 09:17
Ah, as usual you are very good at doing the sidestep dance.

It's all perspective. I am good at making my case.

Dance steps do not apply.:p
:dan::dan:

Sooz
16th February 2014, 11:22
It's all perspective. I am good at making my case.

Dance steps do not apply.:p
:dan::dan:

Dance steps DO apply. It's all in the steps, the space in-between, the breaths between the steps, the eye contact....

...and so much more...

...I will be back with one of my fave vids of dancing....

Sooz
16th February 2014, 11:34
Watch until 40 seconds in, then the magic starts....

Ozzy movie (Strictly Ballroom, Baz Lurhman Director), the Spanish dancer is a friend of a friend of a friend of mine.

Very powerful scene:

Enjoy - no sidesteps here!

Posodoble? Posadoble......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meJ-nxkVPl8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meJ-nxkVPl8

KosmicKat
16th February 2014, 11:49
You know you're getting old when you have to put prunes on your All-Bran (and you aren't even worried about GMOs)

BabaRa
16th February 2014, 17:12
Well, I knew I was old enough to be some of your mothers, but I didn't know I was old enough to be ALL!! of your mothers. Yes, born in 1939 - and what I want to say to you all is: STOP THIS, RIGHT NOW.. . . . not because you're making me feel bad, you're not (age is never something I've paid much attention to), and I know most of you are kidding around, but remember where this energy is taking you. Don't start talking yourself into feeling old.

Here's a picture of me and friends taken August 2013 - 2 months before my 74th birthday. (I'm the one in the middle; the blonde on the left is 6 yrs younger, brunette on right, 10yrs younger). I'm not posting this so you'll tell me "I look great 'for my age'. I'm posting this as a reminder. The 3 of us in the pix are all different body types, all over 60, and I think all look great - and I might add feel great. Do any of us look like this when we wake up in the morning. Ha, are you kidding - the answer is "no".

But what we are is all interesting and interested gals. I still go dancing, hiking, kayaking - but also explore and discuss interesting issues. For me, the most important thing is laughter. One of my many nicknames is: Gigi - which stands for giggly girl. Yes, I still think of myself as a girl and when my mirror won't lie to me, I just don't look in it and visualize myself how I feel, which is young. Instead of getting upset over situations, see the humor in them - there always is. Often times it's ironic humor, but still funny and worth a good belly laugh. End of lecture, cause it's a beautiful day here (sorry East coast US and UK) and I
have some flowers I want to plant in my garden.
:cloud:

http://i1321.photobucket.com/albums/u542/barbpercival/Facebook/Profile%20Pictures/IMG_2578_zps47ee23c9.jpg

KosmicKat
16th February 2014, 23:59
It's only the vehicle that ages. Or as Terry Pratchett put it

Inside every old person there's a young person asking "Hey! What happened?"

Seikou-Kishi
17th February 2014, 04:02
Lol, people don't get old. That's just their bodies.

Sooz
17th February 2014, 05:51
Well, I knew I was old enough to be some of your mothers, but I didn't know I was old enough to be ALL!! of your mothers. Yes, born in 1939 - and what I want to say to you all is: STOP THIS, RIGHT NOW.. . . . not because you're making me feel bad, you're not (age is never something I've paid much attention to), and I know most of you are kidding around, but remember where this energy is taking you. Don't start talking yourself into feeling old.

Here's a picture of me and friends taken August 2013 - 2 months before my 74th birthday. (I'm the one in the middle; the blonde on the left is 6 yrs younger, brunette on right, 10yrs younger). I'm not posting this so you'll tell me "I look great 'for my age'. I'm posting this as a reminder. The 3 of us in the pix are all different body types, all over 60, and I think all look great - and I might add feel great. Do any of us look like this when we wake up in the morning. Ha, are you kidding - the answer is "no".

But what we are is all interesting and interested gals. I still go dancing, hiking, kayaking - but also explore and discuss interesting issues. For me, the most important thing is laughter. One of my many nicknames is: Gigi - which stands for giggly girl. Yes, I still think of myself as a girl and when my mirror won't lie to me, I just don't look in it and visualize myself how I feel, which is young. Instead of getting upset over situations, see the humor in them - there always is. Often times it's ironic humor, but still funny and worth a good belly laugh. End of lecture, cause it's a beautiful day here (sorry East coast US and UK) and I
have some flowers I want to plant in my garden.
:cloud:

http://i1321.photobucket.com/albums/u542/barbpercival/Facebook/Profile%20Pictures/IMG_2578_zps47ee23c9.jpg

Babs, I know you were not fishing for compliments, but you all look fabulous and gorgeous!

WOW! (Putting eyes back in sockets).
:D

Edit: And I agree, laughter is key! I don't care at ALL about my laughter lines.

My late Mother who died at 90 used to say, laugh and make as much expression on your face as you can - then no-one will notice the lines.

Healthy Skeptic
18th February 2014, 07:58
Hi HS,

I am hoping my 15 year old son will come back to me at some stage. It causes me great heartache.

His Dad is 11 years younger than me.

As to Modz cryptic comment, I have no idea, you will have to ask him, lol....

My Poor Darling, Sooz.
Unfortunately you have still a couple of years to 'Bear' with your son.
I am not going with my experience with 'Sons' (I have none that I know about), but what my Brother has told me about his 2 sons.
Between 13 and 18 they were 'terrorists' probably due to 'hormonal changes' they were experiencing. After they got their Driver's License, at 18 here in Victoria, they 'changed'. Probably because they finally had their 'freedom' from their 'old fogie' parents - and now, under the law, were responsible for their own actions.
Probably, also, they could 'do what they wanted' in regards with their Girlfriends and Friends without their parents 'Supervision' or 'Limits'.
I sincerely hope your Son follows this 'trend'.
With Love, HS