PDA

View Full Version : Walk in the forest to heal oneself !

Tribe
8th February 2014, 23:42
I have always been a nature lover, who appreciates spending time outdoors and soaking in the positive energy of the green surroundings. So I was simply thrilled when I came across a popular practice in Japan called ‘Shinrin-yoku’ which means ‘taking in the forest atmosphere’ also known as ‘forest bathing‘.

Spending time in nature is healing energy for the mind, body and soul. The idea with Shinrin-yoku, a term coined by the government in 1982 but inspired by ancient Shinto and Buddhist practices, is to let nature enter your body through all five senses, and feel at one with the forest. It is about being mindful of your surroundings and the experience.

It’s not about extreme outdoor sports or being alone in the wilderness, but about allowing your body and psyche to unwind in the peace of the woods, similar to natural aromatherapy. Ancient wisdom and tribes, who live in harmony with nature, have advocated this for long, and only in recent years there have been studies carried out to prove the health benefits of forest bathing.

Shinrin-yoku, a popular practice in Japan, which means ‘taking in the forest atmosphere’ or
‘forest bathing’. It has shown to improve mental and physical health

Researchers have shown that forest bathing can significantly lower levels of cortisol, a stress hormone, along with lower blood sugar, blood pressure and heart rate, reduces depression and anger. Other research points out that walking in the woods can boost the body’s immune system by increasing anti-cancer proteins and enhancing the so-called natural killer activity of certain cells.

Humans have evolved from nature, that’s our home, and is one of the reason why we are so comfortable in it, even though many wouldn’t realise that. Lets go through some of the studies conducted to validate these claims, long known to man -

Reduced Stress levels – One study conducted by Yoshifumi Miyazaki from the University of Chiba, on 260 people at 24 sites in 2005 and 2006 found that the average concentration of salivary cortisol, a stress hormone, in people who gazed on forest scenery for 20 minutes was 13.4 percent lower than that of people in urban settings

Miyazaki has taken more than 600 subjects into the woods since 2004. He and his colleague Juyoung Lee, also of Chiba University, have found that leisurely forest walks, compared with urban walks, show a 12.4 percent decrease in the stress hormone cortisol, a seven percent decrease in sympathetic nerve activity, a 1.4 percent decrease in blood pressure, and a 5.8 percent decrease in heart rate.

Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) – In a controlled study by University of Illinois, 17 children diagnosed with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) were exposed to different environments. They found that children experienced substantially improved concentration after a 20-minute walk in a city park as compared to a 20-minute walk in downtown or residential settings. The researchers concluded the positive results were comparable to the effects of Ritalin.

Creativity – A pilot study by psychologists Paul and Ruth Ann Atchley of the University of Kansas and David Strayer of the University of Utah found that after three days of hiking and camping in the wilderness, participants in an Outward Bound course improved their scores on tests of creativity by 50 percent.

Increases Natural killer cells – Natural killer (NK) cells are a type of white blood cells that plays an important role in defense against bacteria, viruses and tumors. With aging, high stress levels, and pesticides, the NK count can reduce.

n 2005 and 2006, Qing Li from the Nippon Medical School in Tokyo, brought a group of middle-aged businessmen into the woods to hike for three days. By the end, blood tests showed that their NK cells had increased 40 percent. A month later, their NK count was still 15 percent higher than when they started. But when the same people walked in the city, their NK levels didn’t change.

One of the theories as to why forest therapy works is that trees give off scents of volatile oils, known as phytoncides have proven to increase the activity and efficiency of NK cells.

Lowers Blood Sugar – Forest bathing may also help control blood sugar. A Japanese study followed 87 adults diagnosed with type-2 diabetes for six years. They walked in the forest nine times in this period for 3 or 6 kilometers (1.9 or 3.7 miles), depending on their physical ability. At the end of the study, researchers found that the forest walkers had lower blood sugar, improved insulin sensitivity, and decreased levels of hemoglobin A1c.

Any form of exercise can help improve blood sugar regulation in people with diabetes. When you consider that the frequency of the walks (only nine times in six years) and the fact that blood sugar levels were significantly decreased but not really different between those who walked the long and short distance, researchers concluded that factors, apart from exercise, also led to the positive long-term results, including changes in hormonal secretion and nervous system function associated with blood sugar metabolism.
Regularly walking in the forest also leads to -
Deeper and clearer intuition
Increased flow of energy
Increased capacity to communicate with the land and its species
Increased flow of prana/life force
Deepening of friendships
Overall increase in sense of happiness
It is such a simple process, just walk in the forest, listen to the sounds of the birds chirping, meandering streams, absorb the greenery around you and the aromas of the forest. Its only when we disconnect from nature, do we face health issues and illnesses. Biologist E.O. Wilson coined the term ‘biophilia‘, which means ‘love of life or living systems’ describes this innate human need.

If you are leading a busy life or staying in the city, take time off and reconnect with nature, visit a park at least few times a week, or wander in the woods. I remembered a quote I read by Frank Lloyd Wright, “Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.”

THERE IS ALSO A VIDEO TO ACCOMPANY THIS HERE ....http://www.riseearth.com/2014/02/walk-in-forest-to-heal-oneself.html#.UvbNT6732Rl

Anyone who knows me knows that my heart is in the woods it is where i truly feel alive! x

BabaRa
9th February 2014, 00:47
I'm with you Tribe.

Nothing nurtures my soul like Nature, and I need trees around me. When I feel the need to balance myself, I often go out barefoot in the grass or dirt. Does it every time.

ronin
9th February 2014, 00:52
Shinrin-yoku, a popular practice in Japan,

is it not the same as grounding?

Seikou-Kishi
9th February 2014, 01:14
This surely comes as a surprise to absolutely none of us.

I could never live in the middle of a city, unable to access nature. I enjoy living in the middle of nowhere with all the space it affords for growing things. For all we can say this is the effect of phytoncides released by the plants and breathed in when walking amongst trees, there is probably a sizeable benefit to the human spirit in being around plants above. People are so strongly connected to trees, I do not know how most people can overlook it the way they do.

modwiz
9th February 2014, 01:16
I declined the opportunity to live in a penthouse on madison ave in midtown NYC.......rent free. It was an instantaneous decision.

Tribe
9th February 2014, 01:17
no surprise , just a reminder :thup:

Tribe
9th February 2014, 01:20
i re watched this last night and no matter how many times i watch it, i am always in awe http://jandeane81.com/threads/396-The-Secret-Life-of-Plants

Church
9th February 2014, 03:37
I'm a living example of what happens when one lives in the middle of a city... I am constantly taking road trips and vacations just so I can get back into nature! I simply can't get enough of it either, and I only feel right while I'm out in nature. The moment I get back into town the benefits of having been in the woods (or the desert, or the swamp or wherever) are immediately gone, it seems.

That's why my wife and I are going to get out of here and move out west, as soon as I can find a job in my field. I have overstayed my welcome here in the big city. I clearly hear the message, which is, GTFO! Lol

Seikou-Kishi
9th February 2014, 05:18
Rescinded

Eelco
9th February 2014, 05:40
It's a feeling I wish I could share with everybody.

Thank you Seikou-Kishi,
With you spell(ing) You just did.

With Love
Eelco

Sooz
9th February 2014, 06:03
Ah, Sushi, that was the most beautiful narrative. Reminds me of 'The Magic Faraway Tree' by Enid Blyton, by far the best book I've ever read.

Of course it's a children's book, and as a child I read it many times. I don't know how old you are Oliver, but I guarantee if you have never read it, you will be entranced.

It's all about a group of English kids who discover a special tree in the forest with all kinds of special folk who live in the tree. It has an express slippery dip in the trunk of the tree with cushions at the bottom of course. And at the top are all sorts of faraway lands where they partake of adventures.

This book stamped on me a love for travelling and adventure starting in my teens, 20's and 30's. Ha, ha, how one book can change your life.

I'll see if I can find a link.

As always, your story was beautifully written. I was THERE, reading your words. Thanks!:hugs:

Sooz
x

Sooz
9th February 2014, 06:20
Can't seem to find a free download of the entire book. I thought that might be possible because it was written so long ago (lol....giving away my age here)

Anyway here is another link, the Enid Blyton Society:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/faraway-tree.php

Needless to say, since I was hooked on that book from the get go, I read my way through every single book Enid Blyton wrote, 'The Famous Five', 'The Secret Seven', you name it I've read it.

And please, if anyone is going to tell me Enid Blyton was part of an experiment with the Tavistock Institute, I am going into COMPLETE DENIAL...:cry::frantic:

Sooz
9th February 2014, 06:23
HEY!!!

I just noticed in the link I posted above, they talk about eating GOOGLE buns!!!!

Seikou-Kishi
9th February 2014, 07:53
Rescinded

Sooz
9th February 2014, 10:05
You are a very special human, Oliver, that's all I can say.
Sooz

Calz
9th February 2014, 10:27
All I know is when I look up into the sky and see massive chemtrails ... as much as I agree with the getting into nature thing ... I stay inside ...

I expect it is a tradeoff ... matter of intent???

Seikou-Kishi
9th February 2014, 11:32
Sooz

Lol, I'm not entirely sure how to take that ;-)

Seriously, thanks though :-)

Altaira
9th February 2014, 11:40
We both a house last year in the middle of nowhere higher up in the mountains in Bulgaria. When I saw that house I instantly felt the nature call and when I went there to see it I knew I should buy it. The place is so magical the house is in the forest surrounded with pine trees, herbs and so much life.

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t31/965403_644446195567537_503177049_o.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/1797363_740086812670141_408242421_n.jpg

Mark
9th February 2014, 14:51
You are a complicated soul, and sometimes your tone and delivery can seem cruel and troublesome lol, not to mention Intimidating due to your evident cognitive faculties ;-)

To have such wonderfully enchanting, innocent and simplistic childhood experiences then to enter adulthood with all of its horrors is enough for the most optimistic of souls to become tainted and cynical, myself not excluded.

Nothing can take your memories of that special place and times with those you shared such intimacy and wonder with.

You truly are a beautiful inspiring example Alexander, thank you for taking us to your tree :group hug:

(Please take this in the spirit it is intended, to p$#s you off! tee hee )

Mark

Seikou-Kishi
10th February 2014, 19:01
There's a really kind sentiment hidden somewhere beneath all of that, isn't there? :P

BabaRa
10th February 2014, 19:42
My father's love of nature was passed on to my brother, son and I. He especially loved trees because he said their roots we planted firmly in terra and yet their arms reached for the sky.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVq9XPH4rzw

As sung by Paul Robeson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOHekLZD5i4

Mark
11th February 2014, 05:58
There's a really kind sentiment hidden somewhere beneath all of that, isn't there? :P

Just taking a leaf so to speak from your book, a spade is a spade and so forth!

hmmmm, more to this observer perspective than i first thought, strange how it translates to a subjective feel... :-(

I suppose its just a relief seeing you remove your armour and showing your real strength :-) Your alright Art!

11th February 2014, 09:28
Sooz

Seconded/thirded etc. I find myself with a slight emphatuation where Oli is concerned, a childlike curiosity for someone I see as more highly evolved and seek to emulate/catch up with...

What an absolute joy this thread has been, thank you Tribe xx

(P.S Mods......"instantaneous decision" cracked me up too!)

BabaRa
11th February 2014, 19:41
We both a house last year in the middle of nowhere higher up in the mountains in Bulgaria. When I saw that house I instantly felt the nature call and when I went there to see it I knew I should buy it. The place is so magical the house is in the forest surrounded with pine trees, herbs and so much life.

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t31/965403_644446195567537_503177049_o.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/1797363_740086812670141_408242421_n.jpg

Altaira, that's an amazing piece of property. I see why it called you. Do you live there year round?

Fred Steeves
11th February 2014, 20:52
Great thread Tribe! I'd never heard of Shinrin-yoku before, but after reading your post I know exactly what you and that practice are talking about. Altaire, that's an awesome piece of sacred land you wound up hooking up with. Oliver, can you get a pic of that tree?

There really is something to this, that I wouldn't have imagined before moving to the foot of the Great Smoky Mountains here in Eastern Tennessee almost a year ago. It makes me all the more appreciate the place Modwiz has created for himself out in the woods, and I can also well understand Church's need to escape the city scene.

We were introduced to this house and land in much the same way Altaire was to that beautiful place, and it's very difficult to say whether it found us, or we found it. Probably a bit of both. When we moved up here on a wing and a prayer last spring, there was no way in hell we were supposed to wind up with, financially speaking, anything even close to this 9 acre (3.6 hectare) bastion of virgin forest. Not only is there the spirit of the place itself, but also the lingering spirit of the former owner who cleared away for the house and long driveway (a lot by hand), but had the fallen trees milled on spot to also build this house with. For 15 years he put his heart and soul into making his vision a reality, so that die hard spirit permeates whether indoors or out.

So the forest...

The Aether here is heavy with lingering ancient impressions, and in the ground you can feel the Earth's thudding heartbeat right up through your feet. This land asks for nothing but basic care and respect, and in return it will give all that you are capable of accepting. It's quite something really and I think, no I know, that it actually delights in this interchange. There are certain things you can learn from say, Google search, from books, from other people etc., but there are more nebulous things that you have to patiently search the four winds for. The 'four winds' blow strong here.

This land will 'speak' to you in very subtle ways, often times with nothing more than a light breeze rolling through the trees, or the timely chirp of a bird. So we have this pond area that I walk the muts down to every day, and it's a very powerful spot. Reflections in that cold mountain runoff water tend to have something new to offer with every ponder, and I very much enjoy the daily dog walk over there, and watching them enjoying it as well.

If you turn around towards the driveway, this is how it looks:

A huffing hike up the ridge which is our back yard, is an outcropping of old mountain rock I refer to as "The Patient Ones". The energy is strong there as well, and come spring I also plan on doing a little caretaking up there. Once that's done, there should volunteer a fine (semi) flat spot right in amongst them for a little fire pit, a nice sacred spot for camping out and just communing.

And "The patient One's" point of view looking back down the other way. The roof of our house can be seen just lower left of center:

The difference between places like these and anywhere *near* a city is nothing short of astounding, and the same can be said when you find yourself where you're supposed to be...

Cheers,

Fred

Seikou-Kishi
11th February 2014, 21:43
Wow Fred, that place looks wonderful. It's going to look wonderful when the land grows its hair out in spring :-)

As for my own... I don't really feel comfortable photographing it. It took me long enough to mention that it's deciduous; I didn't even mention the type of tree. It feels too indiscreet. This probably makes no sense outside my strange little world.

By the way, those are some nice dogs you've got. The one on the left looks eager for action and the one on the right looks like the most contented dog I've ever seen, maybe like he got into your stash? Lol. The one in the middle is the spitting image, in dog terms, of King Charles.

And Altaira, that looks wonderful. I can understand why you love it.

BabaRa
12th February 2014, 00:25
Great place Fred. . . would love to see it both in Spring and Fall.

And how in the world did you get those 3 handsome dogs to all sit still at the same time? . . Now, that takes a real wizard.:wiz: