PDA

View Full Version : UN Intervenes In Vatican

6th February 2014, 13:37
Vatican must "immediately remove child abusers" says UN

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26044852

The UN has said that the Vatican should "immediately remove" all clergy who are known or suspected child abusers.

The UN watchdog for children's rights denounced the Holy See for adopting policies which allowed priests to sexually abuse thousands of children.

In a report, it also criticised Vatican attitudes towards homosexuality, contraception and abortion.

The Vatican responded by saying it would examine the report - but also accused its authors of interference.

A group representing the victims of abuse by priests in the US welcomed the report.

In its findings, the UN Committee on the Rights of the Child (CRC) said the Holy See should open its files on members of the clergy who had "concealed their crimes" so that they could be held accountable by the authorities.

Continue reading the main story
Analysis

David Willey

BBC News, Rome

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Vatican quickly moved into damage control mode after publication of the UN report.

While promising "thorough study" of the criticisms, the Holy See robustly rejects some of the points made by the UN.

The Vatican has always given precedence to Church law, called Canon Law, over local criminal law in dealing with ecclesiastical crime. It does not easily tolerate interference by civil authorities in ecclesiastical matters.

The recent case of a senior Vatican diplomat, a Polish archbishop, who was suddenly recalled to Rome from his post in Santo Domingo after serious police accusations of sexual abuse of minors there is a case in point.

The Vatican has refused an extradition request by justice authorities in Poland and says an internal police investigation is under way inside Vatican City.

It said it was gravely concerned that the Holy See had not acknowledged the extent of the crimes committed, and expressed its "deepest concern about child sexual abuse committed by members of the Catholic churches who operate under the authority of the Holy See, with clerics having been involved in the sexual abuse of tens of thousands of children worldwide".

It also lambasted the "practice of offenders' mobility", referring to the transfer of child abusers from parish to parish within countries, and sometimes abroad.

The committee said this practice placed "children in many countries at high risk of sexual abuse, as dozens of child sexual offenders are reported to be still in contact with children".

The UN report called on a Vatican commission created by Pope Francis in December to investigate all cases of child sexual abuse "as well as the conduct of the Catholic hierarchy in dealing with them".

Ireland's Magdalene laundries scandal was singled out by the report as an example of how the Vatican had failed to provide justice despite "slavery-like" conditions, including degrading treatment, violence and sexual abuse.

The laundries were Catholic-run workhouses where some 10,000 women and girls were required to do unpaid manual labour between 1922 and 1996.

The report's findings come after Vatican officials were questioned in public last month in Geneva about why they would not release data and what they were doing to prevent future abuse.

The Vatican has denied any official cover-up. However, in December it refused a UN request for data on abuse on the grounds that it only released such information if requested to do so by another country as part of legal proceedings.

Progress or the usual smokescreen?

BabaRa
6th February 2014, 23:37
Progress or the usual smokescreen?

Let's hope the former. Did you see Highlander1's post:
http://jandeane81.com/threads/1970-BREAKING-Pope-Francis-is-named-by-former-Argentine-junta-insider-as-%E2%80%9Cprime-mover%E2%80%9D-in

Could be a gathering storm.

By the way, love your new avatar

norman
7th February 2014, 00:25
This looks like the end of the VERY LONG ROPE the Catholic clergy have been swinging on for centuries.

It's the time.

A big sucking sound is about to be heard as the vacuum is pumped for the new world "religion" to swish into.

BabaRa
7th February 2014, 02:47
This looks like the end of the VERY LONG ROPE the Catholic clergy have been swinging on for centuries.

It's the time.

A big sucking sound is about to be heard as the vacuum is pumped for the new world "religion" to swish into.

Loving that visual, Norman.

aKnightThatSaysNi
7th February 2014, 04:50
The UN has said that the Vatican should "immediately remove" all clergy who are known or suspected child abusers.

I know this comment is not going to be popular but the word I bolded, highlighted, and underlined is also dangerous and --'s how the UN or any gov't body works, there are no rules when "--'s for the children". Children are important to the UN to either die in future wars or be enslaved by some scam. I think a priest deserves his fair trial just like any other profession. I know of my share of false allegations.

Calz
7th February 2014, 05:01
Change is in the air ... *big change* ... better or worse I expect we shall see soon enough.

So many things converging now ... interesting times.

... but we all knew this has been coming.

Unsustainable is the key word for life on the planet (unless we collectively grow up and face our responsibilities and honor life in all forms).

... okay ... off my pulpit now http://www.pic4ever.com/images/pop.gif

7th February 2014, 09:00
Loving that visual, Norman.

ha yes! Norman's imagery has fired up my brain this morning thank you. *heading to the vacuum with wire cutters*

Melidae
7th February 2014, 12:41
I know this comment is not going to be popular but the word I bolded, highlighted, and underlined is also dangerous and --'s how the UN or any gov't body works, there are no rules when "--'s for the children". Children are important to the UN to either die in future wars or be enslaved by some scam. I think a priest deserves his fair trial just like any other profession. I know of my share of false allegations.

I tend to agree with you, Knight.

Though it's time the Vatican is finally being called out on their handling of pedophile priests and being held accountable for their actions, two things concerned me reading this article...that a 'witch hunt' might ensue, gathering the innocent along with the guilty, and the fact that this is coming from the UN...a further move to make the UN the voice of the 'one world' governing body.