PDA

View Full Version : Color and how it affects our lives

BabaRa
5th February 2014, 05:20
Since we got into color on another thread, I thought it might be fun to explore it more in depth.

I've always wondered: Do we see color the same. You and I can both point to an object and say it's yellow, but are we actually seeing the same thing?

Edgar Cayce once said that when Plato (I believe it was Plato) referred to the wine-colored sea, he wasn't being poetic. But that people in that time period still had not yet evolved to see the color blue.

Cayce also suggested that in the future, we would be seeing even more hues, and then suggested that some were already seeing them (and I wondered if he meant himself.)

I know that I now see colors differently than I use to. It could be an age thing, but I think not only because I'm seeing them brighter. It would seem if it were age related, that they would be dimmer, but I've never researched that.

I was always drawn to very bright primary colors, but now I find them so bright that they're almost offensive.

I've often seen colors in meditation; I associated them with different entities, I'm not sure why.

I wonder what your relationship is to colors.

ronin
5th February 2014, 05:48
hi BabaRa ,
funny you should mention colours and how we perceive them.

last night i was watching a you tube vid(got through the first hour)
it mentioned as we evolve as global consciousness and raise our vibration and chakras we are able to see new colours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GimNQ2zOiDM

if you jump to the 48.00 min mark this guy explains something similar to what you say about the Edgar Cayce statement.
i,m pretty sure Terrence Mckenna saw a lot of interesting colors during his experiences.
would the etheric and astral world have their own colors.
then we here the statement of people trying to decribe what they have seen.
"it was bluish but not quite"
or pinkish,yellowish ect
not to forget that colors can affect ones mood as well by lifting it with vibrant colors
gray is drab and green is earthly and vibrant..
colors in meditation i see are very bright but don,t understand that yet.
:D

Eelco
5th February 2014, 06:00
Great topic.

There was an study I read a few weeks ago. Can't find it at the moment.
That concluded that woman can see wayy more shades of red than men can.

The hypothesis opted was that as woman were in charge of gathering fruit and berries way back when they are geneticaly altered/evolved to read more into reds as eddibale or poisenous.

WIth Love
Eelco

What do you see when I say Tree?

ronin
5th February 2014, 06:02

a tree comes to mind.
then a green tree.
then the tree of life.

sorry rushed that.
a big beautiful oak tree.all aged and full of wisdom.

Sooz
5th February 2014, 06:28
I am absolutely passionate about colour! Anything visual in fact.

I love colours...what you see everyday has an impact on you.

For myself, my house is made up of basic black (that is the bookcases, low tables, the primary furniture), Red, smashings of red but used sympathetically because it is such a rich, raw colour, and then tamed down by a sage green...

Works for me.

And I know it sounds strange, but if I didn't have those colours around me in exactly that dose, I would feel not feel at home. Strangley enough my best friend has the same colour combination in her home.

I also have earthy brown colours in abundance, some odd small purple spots.

You would have to be me, to see what I see in it. But it's very important.:D

Edit: For me anyway...

Altaira
5th February 2014, 08:17
I feel the colours give us special energy to go through the days, they seem to fill up some deficiencies in our energetic field. I would imagine them as our energetic supplements which need to be taken in order to live happier. I even have my own theory that if we chose proper colours according to our energetic needs every day the depression and all mental and nervous ailments will be less likely to develop. When I have to go to work or wherever I need to go I always chose my clothes just before I go, I don't prepare my clothes in the night before. I like to wake up and feel the day, how it unfolds and I like to listen to my inner call for colours, then I chose my set of clothes. I tried to select them in the night before but it never worked for me, if it happens to prepare a set of clothes to ware on the next day and I chose to put them on, I am feeling dull or strange all day, like I'm not in my skin. Colours affect my mood or even state of mind and I am aware of that.

5th February 2014, 10:26
Another great thread B!

Since starting down this path my relationship with colours, touch and sound has gone from casual acquaintance to that of a child in Wonka's factory. Ever since i first saw an aura around trees my appreciation for colour has become deep and loving, seeing more vibrancy and a greater depth of consistency without making them look visibly darker......does that make any sense?

I also fully agree Babara, I too see them in meditation and also within remote viewing attached to beings and entities. I find that a beings' colour palette, although changeable, is roughly within the same parameters whenever I look, unless they are going through something that is rapidly changing their actual being for better or worse.

I have a huuuuuuge affinity with green that probably comes from conversing with trees as a child and a general pagan-esque appreciation for nature! I also have memories not of this planet but of another completely covered in mountainous ancient forest. I yearn for that place daily.

Mark
5th February 2014, 11:15
Mine is electric Aqua blue and a deep appreciation to dark electric blue :-)

KosmicKat
5th February 2014, 11:56
As a painter I have felt for a long time that our relationship with colors begins in nature. For that reason, we find that certain colors harmonize (blues and greens) and others clash (greens and reds or yellows and blues). If you look at a color wheel showing the seven secondary colors you might notice that the two segments directly opposed to any other segment are complementary (or clash, depending on how you make use of them).

Melidae
5th February 2014, 12:48
Blues (sky/water) and greens (trees/grass/shrubs) are my colors...bringing peace, comfort and calm to one born under a fire sign.

PurpleLama
5th February 2014, 16:55
It is interesting to note that color theory accounts for three primary and three secondary colors, but the actual spectrum contains seven colors. :scrhd:

modwiz
5th February 2014, 17:01

Physical world colors reflect their color from the light spectrum. In meditations we see the the light "in" the colors. They have a glow from the inner light.

modwiz
5th February 2014, 17:08
I I even have my own theory that if we chose proper colours according to our energetic needs every day the depression and all mental and nervous ailments will be less likely to develop.

Your 'theory' is almost the basis for color magic. Passive magic works for oneself and their environment.

Feng Shui is a magical system. However, it is biased toward Chinese cultural realities as well. Like their 5 element theory contrasted with our 4 element theory. Including the Aether into Western elemental theory allows for a sympathetic agreement.

BabaRa
5th February 2014, 18:22
hi BabaRa ,
funny you should mention colours and how we perceive them.

last night i was watching a you tube vid(got through the first hour)
it mentioned as we evolve as global consciousness and raise our vibration and chakras we are able to see new colours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GimNQ2zOiDM

if you jump to the 48.00 min mark this guy explains something similar to what you say about the Edgar Cayce statement.
i,m pretty sure Terrence Mckenna saw a lot of interesting colors during his experiences.
would the etheric and astral world have their own colors.
then we here the statement of people trying to decribe what they have seen.
"it was bluish but not quite"
or pinkish,yellowish ect
not to forget that colors can affect ones mood as well by lifting it with vibrant colors
gray is drab and green is earthly and vibrant..

Ronin, thanks for posting this video. I've only watched a small portion at this point (completion will have to wait until this evening), but has raised my interest barometer.

Altaira
I like to wake up and feel the day, how it unfolds and I like to listen to my inner call for colours, then I chose my set of clothes. I tried to select them in the night before but it never worked for me, if it happens to prepare a set of clothes to ware on the next day and I chose to put them on, I am feeling dull or strange all day, like I'm not in my skin. Colours affect my mood or even state of mind and I am aware of that.

I do the same thing. Sometimes I know just by touching or looking at the color, other times I hold the item of clothing up and look in the mirror. But it must be that morning, night before usually doesn't work.

Calabash
5th February 2014, 21:16
You may be interested in taking the Luscher Colour Test Quiz which some people useas part of an employee selection process. See what you think . . . .

http://colorquiz.com/

donk
5th February 2014, 21:27
It is interesting to note that color theory accounts for three primary and three secondary colors, but the actual spectrum contains seven colors. :scrhd:

So what's the rogue 7th??

VIOLET? :p

modwiz
5th February 2014, 22:19
You may be interested in taking the Luscher Colour Test Quiz which some people useas part of an employee selection process. See what you think . . . .

I was not able to proceed. It said click on a color and nothing happened. Two browsers and multiple attempts later.

I guess you had better luck? Were you able to take the quiz?

Nevermind. I had not read the instructions fully.:fpalm:

Update:
Not sure what psych book they are working from but, reference points and conclusions were almost unrecognizable. Many the opposite of the statements. IMO. A matrix POV is applied to this test.

Employers, eh?:ha:

Results may vary.:)

Fred Steeves
5th February 2014, 22:24

a tree comes to mind.
then a green tree.
then the tree of life.

sorry rushed that.
a big beautiful oak tree.all aged and full of wisdom.

Hi ronin,

Do you also see the deep dark earth below, supporting and giving life to this aged and glorious Oak tree full of wisdom?

Calabash
5th February 2014, 22:28
Hi ronin,

Do you also see the deep dark earth below, supporting and giving life to this aged and glorious Oak tree full of wisdom?
Hi Fred - is it my imagination, or is your avatar getting a little closer to the camera every day . . . . ? :)

Fred Steeves
5th February 2014, 22:35
Hi Fred - is it my imagination, or is your avatar getting a little closer to the camera every day . . . . ? :)

That's because I'm edging in on squeezing my head right out of your monitor screen soon Calabash. :whstl:

BabaRa
5th February 2014, 23:37

Also, couldn't make it work. . . But, part of an employee selection process?!?!? . . . when people take tests for an employer, they often chose an answer based on what they think the employer wants. Nots saying it's right or wrong way to select, I guess it's how bad one needs or wants the job.

ronin
6th February 2014, 05:50
That's because I'm edging in on squeezing my head right out of your monitor screen soon Calabash. :whstl:

i did after Fred when i really thought about the question.
from the roots to the leaves,also a image came to mind when the tree had no leaves.
also what i did not mention maybe because i did not know how people would take it was something similar to what 777 see,s.

the last couple of years i have not seen auras (as in colors) around trees but more like a invisible outline around the leaves,branches.
really hard to explain but when 777 mentioned it i was very happy to know that other people experience similar things.

this has happened a few times on this forum in a couple of week.

the way i have been experiencing things this last year or so is that i will have a experience,have not a clue what it is then the answers come days,weeks even months later.
the hardest part is that you start to doubt yourself.

but what i am seeing here on this forum is something very special.

same thing happened the other day.Purplelama told me to leave FoL alone until i,m ready.
i did not have a clue what Fol meant but was to embarrassed to ask.
so i said to myself(will you let me know what FoL means)
i was watching the second part of documentary last night and it gave me the answer.
the flower of life.i hope that is what it means.

only the thing is i did not seek the FoL it sought me.i think,but that's another story.

sorry to ramble on.:)

Sooz
6th February 2014, 07:28
Oh, you dingleberries,

Well, I clicked on the link and just kept on clicking.

It marks your colour likes, and gives you another time to click it again.

And then you get your result.

Clear as mud? Just go to the quiz again and keep on clicking all the colours you prefer in order. Then do it again.

:onthequite:

6th February 2014, 08:48
i did after Fred when i really thought about the question.
from the roots to the leaves,also a image came to mind when the tree had no leaves.
also what i did not mention maybe because i did not know how people would take it was something similar to what 777 see,s.

the last couple of years i have not seen auras (as in colors) around trees but more like a invisible outline around the leaves,branches.
really hard to explain but when 777 mentioned it i was very happy to know that other people experience similar things.

sorry to ramble on.:)

Ramble away Ronin! It's nice isn't it? The nearest I can get to describing it is a translucent outline around each leaf, branch, stem and the tree as a whole. It is the same with anything alive too. I always get a bit twitchy and dubious when people describe aura photos full of colour, I have never seen people's aura's in that way unless I'm remote viewing (when it gets extremely colourful!).

The sight of a forest in summer, preferably from above, when it is in the fullness of it's celebration and life.......mindblowing!! The combined auras of all the life underneath the canopy equates to a scene beyond beauty. Puts us little humanses right back in our place with a forced humility and truly dwarfs our fickle nonchalence towards nature.

Eelco
6th February 2014, 10:00
Color kasina meditation. for those interested.
(other casina's include the breath, elements(candle anyone), or foulness of body)

http://home.comcast.net/~turning.point.meditation/kasina/kasina.pdf

With Love
Eelco

6th February 2014, 10:14
Wow......that's awesome thank you kind Sir :thup:

KosmicKat
6th February 2014, 12:20

So what's the rogue 7th??

VIOLET? :p

This is something I hope someday I will understand. The primaries used by painters are the reflected colors: red, blue and yellow. Red and blue are more-or-less pure frequencies, but yellow is a mixture of [blue] red* and green light.

*Thank you PL for correcting me, further down. Memory as wobbly as ever.

6th February 2014, 12:34

That was shockingly accurate!

Calabash
6th February 2014, 21:13
Not just your head I hope Fred! Looking forward to it - let me know when and I'll put the kettle on . . . Hey, one of these days it might actually be possible to do just that you know . . .

modwiz
6th February 2014, 21:34
This is something I hope someday I will understand. The primaries used by painters are the reflected colors: red, blue and yellow. Red and blue are more-or-less pure frequencies, but yellow is a mixture of blue and green light.

Interesting. We usually make green by mixing yellow and blue.

PurpleLama
6th February 2014, 21:55
Interesting. We usually make green by mixing yellow and blue.

Mixing light and mixing pigments operate differently.

http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/light/u12l2d1.gif
Shows how mixing colored lights make white when they are all present, with different primary and secondary colors in physics than we find in the color theory associated with the arts.

modwiz
6th February 2014, 22:08
Mixing light and mixing pigments operate differently.

http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/light/u12l2d1.gif
Shows how mixing colored lights make white when they are all present, with different primary and secondary colors in physics than we find in the color theory associated with the arts.

That was very helpful. Thank You, PL.

norman
6th February 2014, 23:12
I was a keen photographer in the 70s and 80s. I only ever used black & white film.

What do you budding experts think that makes me?:flag:

BabaRa
6th February 2014, 23:41
I was a keen photographer in the 70s and 80s. I only ever used black & white film.

What do you budding experts think that makes me?:flag:

Well, I would say you're either black or white. Sorry, couldn't resist :hilarious:

Actually, I would say you probably very well understand the importance of contrast.

ronin
7th February 2014, 06:10
just a thought.
but what if in our next step in evolution.
we see colors as a energy.

you have heard the phrase seeing through a clean window.
everything is vibrant and alive.

so in our state now we may see duller colors but upon being aware and awake they become more vibrant.

if there is one light in the universe and it emits prisms of color,the closer you get the more frequency range you may see.

eh just a thought?

Cearna
7th February 2014, 06:54
going into a slightly different idea on colours, I had experiences where I went into past lives, one as a nun in an order that wore a particular shade of blue, the other order wore grey, both these colours depressed me greatly each time I wore them, so these memories cleared up the reason for the feeling associated with these colours and I have never worn them since.

Our Reiki Master told us to be very careful of the colours we choose to wear, saying that black in particular is a colour that is very difficult to wear unless you are feeling particularly vibrant with vitality, since you can be drained more easily if wearing it, yet this is the colour most shops and many organisations prefer their employees to wear, considering it to be a colour of power, so executives wear it as a power sign.

Since learning of this I went to the pendulum to find which colours were compatible with my energy. As most of you know I have a predominance of Aries in my make up, so it was no surprise to find that all shades of reds, pinks, oranges, yellows, mauves to purples are my colours, others simply tend to reduce the amount of energy I have. Dark colour, greys, browns, navy and black are most incompatible, and white is great (though hard to keep clean). I use up energy at a rate of knots in my daily life so it is important to me to wear something that will not send me into a depressive state, and I find it important to take the pendulum to check this out each time I buy something new to wear. It might be interesting to add that all the time I went through my most adverse time I wore blues, greens, greys and browns so if you are in a down time or not in a good space, try being particularly careful of the colours you wear.

Some people use a colour palette of feeling associated with colours, but if you chose with the energy involved with your own set of vibes, you may not always end up with the same set of colours. Worth a try if you have a pendulum, place the cloth over one hand and use the pendulum in the other and see whether it gives you a yes or no.

Seikou-Kishi
8th February 2014, 03:53
As a child, I always used to wonder if people saw the same things. If you consistently perceive the colour red in the way in which I perceive blue, we would have no way of ever determining this, because you would use a different label for anything blue and so you could never point to anything blue-to-me and call it red.

In philosophy, there are two different types of quality called primary qualities and secondary qualities. A primary quality is one that is inherent in the thing, while a secondary quality is one which is contingent upon condition. Colour as we perceive it is a secondary quality, while colour as a natural predisposition, a natural tendency to absorb and reflect different wavelengths of light — this is a primary quality.

As an example. When I was a very young child, I had a green garden coat. One day, I stayed out in this coat so long that by the time I decided to go in, it was dark (it was winter). The coat, which was green all day long, looked purple in the half-light of a winter night, with just the moon and stars to give light. If we take colour to be an immutable property, a primary property, then we have to accept the idea that my coat could spontaneously change colour. Instead, what we think of as colour is a propensity to absorb and reflect certain wavelengths of light. When some or all of those wavelengths are absent or less intense than accompanying wavelengths, the balance of light reflected back will change.

In this way, sound is very much like light. In sound, there is a waveform travelling through a medium and this is the objective aspect of sound. It doesn't become sound in the common sense until sensory nerves in the ear relay this physical wave through to the brain, where it is decoded as the internal experience of sound, that it becomes what we think of as sound. In the same way, light exists as a wave-particle duality travelling through, for example, the air. That light energy can have different wavelengths (the distance between two peaks in the peaking-troughing shape of a wave) and those wavelengths can be overrepresented or under represented. You see this in computing when using a colour like plain yellow (255, 255, 0) in which the light is equally red and green and without any blue.

Sound has the same difference in wavelength which causes tone rather than colour. In any case, in the same way in which the physical properties of sound as a wave propagation only becomes sound as we experience it (in the electrical field of the brain), so too does light only become the experiential array of colours that we perceive it as insofar as we perceive it. We have absolutely no way of comparing my noumenal experience of colour with your noumenal experience of colour to see if we both experience FF0000 (pure red) the same way. We can determine that we are both sensing an identical quality of light in physical terms, the wavelengths are the same, and their intensities, their angle of incidence and the media through which they travel, and so on, but there is no way at all to determine if our subjective experiences of colour match.

It's likely that we both think of red as a warm colour, but since it is a primary constituent of fire, it will probably always seem like a warm colour. If red in your mind is filled by the colour that is blue to me, fire to you will be blue by my palette and so to you blue would be a warm colour. This does not count the semantic differences we have and the connotations colours have. For example. In mediaeval Europe black was the colour of a decaying body and so the colour of death, while in the east, white as the colour of bleaching bones was the colour of death. That is a wholly unrelated issue.

But you know, part of the reason that it may be so completely impossible to share my isolated subjective world with yours is the possibility that no such subjective world exists. Modern science in high energy physics shows us that the physicist's observation has an influence on the experiment itself, no matter how disconnected from it he makes himself. His very act of interpretation ordains change in the matter. If this is true, and I suspect it is, like the scientist it is impossible for us to completely separate ourselves away from what we experience.

Because of this, we can be reasonably sure that when we see light, others seeing the same light interpret it in the same way, because the interpretation of that light does not belong inside an isolated "subjectivum" to which nobody else has access and to which we cannot grant access.

When it comes to people with disorders of eye formation which ensure that some forms of light are better detected than others, we can even say that they see the same form of light as we do, only that their eyes change the balance of wavelengths. It is no more different than the way in which we see differently with different colour lenses.

People can also be blind to colour for neurological reasons, and in this case it is more a question of vocabulary; if they have the physical capacity to detect colour, but they do not see it, or else mix colours up, it is not that the brain sees differently, but that it lacks the vocabulary to accurately explain the image to the conscious mind — incidentally, many colour-blind people dream in full colour.

This matter of colour-blindness as a lack of "interconscious" vocabulary reflects upon matters of colour to which we are not privy. We tend to think of the normative human experience as the standard, and everything which deviates from that norm as requiring explanation. For example, we explain colour-blindness because it deviates from the way in which most humans experience colour. We don't as a rule explain colour-sight unless and until we come to talk about the way the eye works.

But when we look at other animals, we find they can see colours that we can't. Many insects can see ultraviolet, and some animals can see infrared. We called them "beyond violet" and "beneath red" why? Because we have no words in our languages for these colours because we do not experience them. But all the colours which make up our multi-coloured world stem from the three primary colours of light (red, green and blue) and the balance between them. "White" for a human is the fullness of three colours, while "black" is the absence of them all. The absence of red, green and blue, but the presence of ultraviolet would, to a bee, strike it as a world we might experience under a red lamp, or a green lamp, and so on. At the same time, whiteness for a bee would not be whiteness without the fullness of ultraviolet, too, with only our three of red, green and blue, such light would would be like yellow to us; i.e., one of the brighter colours, but nowhere near the full brightness of white.

Seikou-Kishi
8th February 2014, 04:04
just a thought.

so in our state now we may see duller colors but upon being aware and awake they become more vibrant.

if there is one light in the universe and it emits prisms of color,the closer you get the more frequency range you may see.

eh just a thought?

In my experience, Ronin, this is spot on! In moments of greater spiritual focus, colours are much more vibrant than they ordinarily are. It is not as though anything is added to the colours, more that we are able to see them more, as though even the brightness of a summer's day is a dark night. Even the blackness of the darkest night is alive with colour, with the vibrant energy of things in that darkness which create their own colour and do not simply reflect the brightness of the sun.

BabaRa
8th February 2014, 04:54
just a thought.

eh just a thought?

I have actually wondered if it's not partially what we respond to now. Not just what we see, but what we feel.

I think the only difference between say red and blue is the speed that each one is vibrating.

All energy of whatever quality is continually vibrating and, by reason of this vibration, it assumes the color, shade, or tint belonging to that specific rate of vibration.

So perhaps you could say we are already seeing the vibration.