PDA

View Full Version : Vitamin E, Other Antioxidants Linked to Lung Cancer

skywizard
31st January 2014, 14:38
http://static.ddmcdn.com/gif/blogs/dnews-files-2014-01-vitamin-e-670-jpg.jpg

If you haven’t already dumped your daily multi-vitamins, yet more research is out questioning the benefits of vitamin supplements. New research shows that some antioxidants, including vitamin E, can actually promote lung cancer.

“Taking extra antioxidants might be harmful and could speed up the growth of (any) tumors,” biologist and co-author Martin Bergo of Gothenburg said. “If I had a patient with lung cancer, I would not recommend they take an antioxidant.”

The research on mice showed that antioxidants lets cancer cells escape the natural defense system of healthy cells, allowing existing tumors to proliferate.

“Antioxidants caused the mice to die twice as fast, and the effect was dose-dependent,” senior author Dr. Martin Bergo said at a news conference. “If we gave a small dose, tumors grew a little. If we gave a high dose, tumors grew a lot.”

The findings, published in Science Translational Medicine, do not mean you should give up a diet naturally rich in antioxidants from whole foods, however: the mice in the study received supplemental doses of vitamin E from four to 50 times the recommended daily intake in the U.S.

It’s also not clear whether antioxidants could cause lung cancer, or just exacerbate existing cancer.

Earlier human trials also found that the antioxidants beta-carotene, vitamin A and vitamin E increased the incidence of lung cancer in smokers.

Source: http://news.discovery.com/human/health/vitamin-2-other-antioxidants-linked-to-lung-cancer-140130.htm

peace...
skywizard

Wolf Khan
1st February 2014, 01:47
Anything to stop us using whats supposedly good for us.

Sooz
1st February 2014, 02:33
Now I've heard everything, vitamins linked to lung cancer.

Next thing they will tell us eating organic produce from your own garden is bad for your health, they will spin like, the soil may be contaminated. Which in turn will require someone to check your soil and then you will have to buy a licence to have a garden.

Pffft...

lookbeyond
1st February 2014, 08:23
Now I've heard everything, vitamins linked to lung cancer.

Next thing they will tell us eating organic produce from your own garden is bad for your health, they will spin like, the soil may be contaminated. Which in turn will require someone to check your soil and then you will have to buy a licence to have a garden.

Pffft...

Yep , they will find high levels of lead and that will be the end of that..

lookbeyond
1st February 2014, 08:23
Anything to stop us using whats supposedly good for us.

Very good point

Tonz
1st February 2014, 13:06
listening to a report on the radio tonight stating that vitamin e slows old timers drastically.Every day a new point of view is formed.

norman
4th December 2014, 00:23
Ok, here's a loud and proud case being made for anti oxidants, especially Vitamin C. This guy is a really good listen, and don't let the medical terms put you off, I found I could follow everything he said perfectly just by feeling my way through the words I wasn't familiar with.

He's talking to an audience of other doctors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpptUsJFCEY

Altaira
4th December 2014, 09:12
It all depends what type of vitamins have been used. If they were syntetic it is obvious that will cause cancer. , If the study says that the antioxidants suplemeneted from the food are ok but the vitamins given are bad the n no wonder why poor mice got cancer. Also if vit C is sinthesized from GM corrn mould it will be cancerogenic.

Sooz
4th December 2014, 09:23
It all depends what type of vitamins have been used. If they were syntetic it is obvious that will cause cancer. , If the study says that the antioxidants suplemeneted from the food are ok but the vitamins given are bad the n no wonder why poor mice got cancer. Also if vit C is sinthesized from GM corrn mould it will be cancerogenic.

My thoughts exactly. There are vitamins and there are 'vitamins' - organic, non gmo. Don't forget codex alimentarious.

I would not buy vitamins in a chemist shop or in a supermarket. Waste of money. And probably full of fillers.

If you need supplementation, go to a food source and/or procure pure supplements from a reputable source. And/or seek information from a natural health practictioner like a Naturopath.