PDA

View Full Version : Brains of elderly slow because they know so much

skywizard
23rd January 2014, 14:21
The brains of older people only appear to slow down because they have so much information to compute, much like a full-up hard drive, scientists believe.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01774/elderly_1774989c.jpg
Elderly people have so much information in their brain that it takes
longer for them to access it, scientists believe

Older people do not decline mentally with age, it just takes them longer to recall facts because they have more information in their brains, scientists believe.
Much like a computer struggles as the hard drive gets full up, so to do humans take longer to access information, it has been suggested.
Researchers say this slowing down it is not the same as cognitive decline.
“The human brain works slower in old age,” said Dr. Michael Ramscar, “but only because we have stored more information over time
“The brains of older people do not get weak. On the contrary, they simply know more.”

Read Full Story: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/10584927/Brains-of-elderly-slow-because-they-know-so-much.html

peace...
skywizard

boja
23rd January 2014, 15:15
Us senior citizens are not as daft as some people think ! (Lol)

BabaRa
23rd January 2014, 20:34
:tiphat: Yea!!!! Let's hear for us old folks.

Now, explain my driving to me.:ttr:

Seikou-Kishi
24th January 2014, 02:40
Sheer fantasy. The idea that the elderly know anything much is a comfort designed to console those who've entered an age-bracket their culture disdains. The amount of utterly stupid old people is ridiculous. And by stupid I mean both unintelligent and unknowledgeable. Most people are entirely pedestrian, and they do not suddenly become less so just because they haven't died in seven or eight decades straight.

I know many incredibly intelligent and knowledgeable kids, and yet none of them suck on Worthers Originals. From my experience, it is the intelligent and knowledgeable people who keep their mental acuity into old age, rather than lose it.

Eelco
24th January 2014, 03:21
poppycock
balderdash
hogwash
codswallop
flapdoodle.

I know a few more.. But need some time to acces them.
With Love
Eelco

Sooz
24th January 2014, 06:37
Sheer fantasy. The idea that the elderly know anything much is a comfort designed to console those who've entered an age-bracket their culture disdains. The amount of utterly stupid old people is ridiculous. And by stupid I mean both unintelligent and unknowledgeable. Most people are entirely pedestrian, and they do not suddenly become less so just because they haven't died in seven or eight decades straight.

I know many incredibly intelligent and knowledgeable kids, and yet none of them suck on Worthers Originals. From my experience, it is the intelligent and knowledgeable people who keep their mental acuity into old age, rather than lose it.

Me-thinks one is trying to be controversial SK and you are intending to inflame debate, lol...good luck with that. (Gets popcorn ready).:smile2:

Pedestrian? I remember an aunt of mine using that word (about 40 years ago, yes I am an elephant in disguise, I have a long memory and I am SOOOOO old), to describe 'ordinary people' to which she would prefer not to mix with. I've always since found the word 'pedestrian', an anathema to me.:vom:

Bait laid down with trepidation...but I'm feeling a bit brave.:frantic:

I am sure your razor sharp intellect will strike me down in short shrift. Lay it on me baby...:p

Love Sooz
Giggling
x

Seikou-Kishi
24th January 2014, 20:37
It's controversial to suggest that intelligence and knowledge nourish rather than hinder the mind? What a strange world you must live in, Sooz.

PurpleLama
24th January 2014, 20:46
It's controversial to suggest that intelligence and knowledge nourish rather than hinder the mind? What a strange world you must live in, Sooz.

To properly nourish the mind, my recipe would entail lots of coffee and cigarettes....

Calz
24th January 2014, 21:05
Really (or would that be Reilly???)???

Laura Knight J(whatever) would be with you on the smokes ...

http://www.pic4ever.com/images/127fs698873.gif

http://funchun.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/funny-old-man-6.jpg

Hey ... night working slave that I am I concur with the caffeine ... is that a good thing???

http://images.wikia.com/battlefield/images/7/76/Funny_coffee_cat.jpg

Melidae
24th January 2014, 23:18

It is controversial when actual experience demonstrates something contrary....as in the case of an intelligent person, who has filled her mind with knowledge, beginning to lose short term memory, which becomes dementia, and slowly moving into alzheimers. Unfortunately, she has known something was very wrong from the first time she experienced mental confusion, and has done everything possible to retain her mental acuity...and still is, even at this point...to no avail.

I'm going through that with my mom right now. One of eleven children, all extremely intelligent, only she and one sister (now deceased, who lived six houses away from each other) is going/has gone through this. Her last living sister, 5 years older, is still extremely bright, exhibiting total mental clarity, and loves to challenge us 'younger kiddoes'. My grandfather passed at 93, still as 'sharp as a tack', so to speak, wondering why the 'younger generation' appeared to be so mentally lazy and determined that laziness would not happen to his children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, etc.

Could said scientists be trying to cover up/deflect from the real reasons so many elderly are losing it mentally by coming up with such a ridiculous theory?

Of course, there couldn't be a mind-body connection...that to think what is taken into the body through the air, water, and food could possibly affect one mentally is simply crazy. The scientists know best, right? *being sarcastic here*

Cearna
25th January 2014, 04:24
I believe that many of those older than my old self, came through some very, very hard times, so different from today it would take a lot to explain. Some of them have a great need to block out that past, it was so bad, it doesn't bear thinking about, but in blocking out some, they manage to block a great deal more than intended, and many are only left with some of the better memories. Memories can be very painful things, in the age group we now think of as old, especially when you are the one left behind, so unless they have something to still look forward to, there is plenty of reason to become slower in the mental capacity. I, personally, find the need to do a lot of porch sitting these days, to look out at the beauty behind our fence (and hope to not get a glimpse of chemtrails), to watch, the birds and the trees and just be, and hope I can stop Chelsea before she finds yet another blue tongue lizard in the back yard. If you were like another teacher I worked with, when she cannot go down stairs anymore from her first story apartment, maybe your mind would beging to work slower as well, but some of us manage to keep they old brain cells ticking over still. when I find I cannot find the words I need, I blame it on the 3 brain operations, not on the ability to use my brain so far any way.

I had an experience in 1973 on my first overseas tour. I went with a guided tour, just to get the hang of it all, and we had 2 different groups, 1 of mixed origin the other made up of World war widows (45 of them, most in their 70's and 80's) they were still game to go for 3 weeks in Europe 3 weeks in UK all guided, but there was 1 week where they left us for a week at our own devices. I stayed at the same hotel and so did many of the oldies. they had no idea of how they would get around in London by themselves. Each day, when I arrived downstairs, I was met by 7 -10 of them wanting to know where I was going and would I let them come with me. I found myself, usually at the front of a single line of oldies going wherever, I went. They still wanted to do and see but just couldn't on their own. In the bus they often went to sleep and I wondered why they came, since they missed so much of what was there to see. Later I took my mother overseas twice, she also couldn't always go to see what the rest of us saw, and fell asleep often too, but she came alive when she was there, and when she had a case of one upmanship to her sisters when she met them, because she could tell about when we were there, it gave her many memories to save her from losing her mind, in just the same way, as when I gave her something to knit, kept her hands still working against arthritis.

So Melidae, I agree, scientists and debatists have a habit of finding an answer they think settles everything, but no it doesn't, it depends on each of us and how much we still wish to be alive and alert, yet even so, we still find cases such as you mention. By the way seeing these older ladies, made me decide I was going to do my travelling whilst I could still walk up all those rotten stairs in many of the European Hotels, and streets, and whilst I could still stay awake to see things.

:p

Eelco
25th January 2014, 05:36
To properly nourish the mind, my recipe would entail lots of coffee and cigarettes....

Switched to smoking a pipe about 6 months ago.
Better mind nourishment through being able to puff smoke for over an hour without refill..

With Love
Eelco

Sooz
25th January 2014, 07:13

I think we misunderstood each other Mr Sushi, sorry.

Or rather, I misunderstood your post, my bad.

Seikou-Kishi
25th January 2014, 07:39
Mr Sushi lol. Love it, Mrs Sooshimi :-p

I once knew a woman called Curry who married a man called Rice.

Sooz
25th January 2014, 08:52
That would be me, but it's Soozshimi Darling. (Perhaps I should incarnate into another name change).

So glad you are not mad at me. You know I have a penchant for calling people other names close to their own. I don't know where it comes from, I don't do it on purpose, i.e., I don't think about it, my fingers just do the typing and out it comes. I often wonder if people are offended but no-one has given me a virtual slap yet, lol...

Sooz

Spiral
25th January 2014, 09:22
That would be me, but it's Soozshimi Darling. (Perhaps I should incarnate into another name change).

So glad you are not mad at me. You know I have a penchant for calling people other names close to their own. I don't know where it comes from, I don't do it on purpose, i.e., I don't think about it, my fingers just do the typing and out it comes. I often wonder if people are offended but no-one has given me a virtual slap yet, lol...

Sooz

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/webdr02/2013/2/11/22/anigif_enhanced-buzz-25951-1360639549-1.gif

Happy ?

:smile2:

Sooz
25th January 2014, 09:38
LOL! Well I had that one coming to me didn't I? Ouchy Wouchy!

You are so butch Twirly.

I notice you are running away real fast after that slap and ducking for cover, perhaps not so butch after all.