PDA

View Full Version : NASA changes perspective in film to obscure

mojo
16th January 2014, 23:07
Part way through Sander changes the look of the image...interesting...do you see a difference?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfL2P-coOqQ

Spiral
17th January 2014, 08:19
@6.29 is that some kind of cetacean & calf or what ?

BabaRa
17th January 2014, 18:53
I haven't trusted NASA for some time.

Why black and white film, hmmm?

Church
17th January 2014, 18:55
Film doesn't even exist anymore, and hasn't for quite some time. Their cameras are all digital, charge-coupled devices (CCD cameras) and they must be going out of their way to actually MAKE these images black and white.

BabaRa
17th January 2014, 19:05
they must be going out of their way to actually MAKE these images black and white.

Even more interesting!!!

Church
17th January 2014, 19:16
I just looked it up, and apparently there is such a thing as a monochromatic CCD chip. It's outside of my knowledge realm, though, as to why one would choose to use a camera that only takes black and white images as opposed to one that takes full color images. Maybe for contrast purposes? I don't know... any photographers here that would like to weigh in?

But still, my understanding is that CCD chips collect photons. That's what they do. So I've always thought that what they show us is actually what's there, including not only visible light, but the invisible bands as well, like infrared and UV. So they have to use filters to block out the IR and UV light. Makes me think that monochromatic CCDs must somehow block out the Red/Green/Blue spectra of light so that better contrast shows up? This is purely a guess on my part.