PDA

View Full Version : Bobby McFerrin Demonstrates the Power of the Pentatonic Scale

Tribe
17th September 2013, 18:53
http://youtu.be/ne6tB2KiZuk

This just made me smile . And wow he is cute ;)

Melidae
17th September 2013, 19:07
Bobby McFerrin understands and teaches music in a way that, unfortunately, few musicians do...and he has so much fun with it.

I posted a video a while ago that went to "post heaven" ...now resurrected for your enjoyment...Bobby McFerrin & McNally Smith Faculty Judi Donaghy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXeY696gZW4

The fact that he is so adorable just adds to the fun...you just can't help but smile. http://www.pic4ever.com/images/4chsmu1.gif

Tribe
17th September 2013, 19:13
Yeah I think I have a little crush ;) lol

modwiz
17th September 2013, 19:13
Bobby McFerrin was here, where I live and work, for a week, two weeks ago. He attracts a group of singers who are now treating this annual event here like a pilgrimage. The energy on campus is just magical when he is here.

Tribe
17th September 2013, 19:20
Aw that sounds fun , I think the greatest buzz on earth is music and being around musicians . and also with the creativity that music brings .. from conception to the birth of a good song and hearing it played time after time .. i loved the buzz of being in the studio too .nothing like it ;)

KosmicKat
17th September 2013, 23:47
On the subject of the pentatonic scale, it's interesting to me that one of the key selling-points of the Reverie Harp is "* Pentatonic tuning means there is simply no wrong way to play this instrument"

If I understand correctly, the harmonic patterns of the strings do not cancel each other out.

Highland1
18th September 2013, 06:55
Aw that sounds fun , I think the greatest buzz on earth is music and being around musicians . and also with the creativity that music brings .. from conception to the birth of a good song and hearing it played time after time .. i loved the buzz of being in the studio too .nothing like it ;)

Sounds like you have some studio experience Tribe, are you a musician or please tell us more?

Russ

Tribe
18th September 2013, 09:02
Well what happened was lol ... I used to make up songs as a kid whenever I was out walking alone , it turned into a love of music which inspired me to write my own songs , I sang a lot at school , was kind of touted about to make the headmaster feel good about his school me suspects .. Had massive stage f r i ght at a concert and never sang publicly again :(
I picked up a guitar in my early twentys and taught myself to play it listening to REM's Drive , (by the way i think automaic for the people is a steller album ) anyhow with the chords learned I started to play and make up songs and write them down and tape them , I was suffering from depression at that point in my life I had just had a nervous breakdown and I took solice in music and writing down my feelings .

It continued to tape all sorts of songs , bits of songs so as to remember them and. Found it really liberating and rewarding , it then occurred to me that it is a wonderful way to kind of immortalising your thoughts and feelings and if I died I could leave some kind of message behind .
With that thought I realised how beneficial that would be and wouldn't it be wonderful for somone terminally ill to do .

I wanted to learn how to record properly and I visualised a converted barn as my studio and how I would hold music workshops for terminally ill people to come make music and record it , like a weekend retreat serving good wholesome food , campfires and then into the studio to record .. Ok so it was a pipeline dream but I thought it would work so I signed up to the music tech course and learned sound and engineering , it was fab we had a busy studio too with lots of local bands coming in so we could learn to mike up the kit and record stuff , it was just a real joy for me so yes I learned that and then along came my son and my plan has diverted for a while . ;)

Tribe
18th September 2013, 10:10
My husband has just suggested I read song lines by Bruce chatwin, I have just googled him and wow it's fascinating and I will look into it .. Anyone else heard about this book ?