PDA

View Full Version : Is Fukushima radiation just a false distraction?

Herbert
8th January 2014, 16:30
To Drake From Ben Fulford
Posted on January 9, 2014

Benjamin Fulford: My geiger counter is called Air Counter_S and it can detect between 0.05 microsieverts per hour and 9.9 microsieverts per hour. I live 200 kilometers from Fukushima and have never detected anything beyond normal background radiation, even when there is heavy rain that has come from the direction of Fukushima. The local organic food store has tested all produce they receive since March 11, 2011 and have yet to find a single instance of radioactive food. There is a young woman from Fukushima who rents a room from me and her family sends her rice grown 80 kilometers from Fukushima and it is not radioactive.

The following article offers one more piece of evidence that Fukushima is being used to create fear and possibly to distract public attention, since evidence shows no connection to west coast radiation. Ben Fulford lives in Tokyo and could not detect any radiation worries with his Geiger counter. Does it really pose the danger that officials want the world to believe?

Beach radiation unrelated to Fukushima

http://www.hmbreview.com/news/experts-say-beach-radiation-unrelated-to-fukushima/article_d3bb5b14-77ea-11e3-a37b-001a4bcf887a.html

Posted: Tuesday, January 7, 2014 2:27 pm | Updated: 2:37 pm, Tue Jan 7, 2014.

Excerpt:

Weiss is no amateur; for 40 years he has made a living designing Geiger counters, most recently for International Medcom Inc. After he verified the hotspot, he took a sample of the dark sediment and sent it to his company's main offices in Sebastopol for analysis.

International Medcom CEO Dan Sythe later put the dirt sample in a spectrum analyzer to view the radioactive “signature” of the particles, the photon energy associated with each isotope. What he found was different from cesium-137, the fissile material used in the Fukushima reactors. He would know – since the 2011 meltdown, Sythe has visited Japan nine times to help map the cesium fallout.

Instead he was seeing radium and thorium, naturally occurring radioactive elements.

“It doesn’t mean that it‘s OK. It's not something you'd want your baby playing in,” Sythe said. “All we’re saying is this radiation is not from Fukushima.”

Sythe summarized his findings on his blog in the hopes that it would dispel a sense of panic spreading on the Internet that Fukushima radiation was hitting U.S. shores. People were posting online claiming that the West Coast would soon be “toast,” he said, so it was vital to get better information online.

Experts say beach radiation unrelated to Fukushima

Dean Coppola

Steve Weiss, a Coastside resident and electrical engineer, takes Geiger readings with two counters at Surfer's Beach on Monday. Dean Coppola/ Review

Posted: Tuesday, January 7, 2014 2:27 pm | Updated: 2:37 pm, Tue Jan 7, 2014.

By Mark Noack

The 2011 Fukushima Daiichi reactor meltdown in Japan is not the cause of abnormally high radiation levels discovered recently along Surfer's Beach, according to an analysis by independent experts. But exactly why a swath of the local coastline is showing about 14 times the baseline radiation level remains a curious mystery.

San Mateo County health officials reiterated on Tuesday that the beach radiation did not pose a public hazard.

People across the country expressed an interest in radiation on the Coastside in recent days after an online video shot at Surfer's Beach led some to believe what they were seeing was the first major landing of radioactive material on the West Coast attributable to the Japanese disaster. First posted on Dec. 23 on YouTube, the seven-minute video shows the meter of a Geiger counter as an unidentified man off-camera measures different spots on the beach south of Pillar Point Harbor. The gadget’s alarm rings as its radiation reading ratchets up to about 150 counts per minute, or roughly five times the typical amount found in the environment.

The amateur video went viral, drawing more than half a million views to date, and spurring government inspectors to conduct their own surveys.

After watching the clip, El Granada electrical engineer Steven Weiss grabbed his own radiation measurement equipment to test the radiation reports for himself.

On Monday, Weiss carried a Geiger counter in each hand for a second survey of Surfer's Beach. As he descended to the waterline, the readings on his gadgets climbed. He tested various spots: the side of the bluffs and the white sand closest to the waterline, both registering levels that were high but not suspiciously so as far as he was concerned. But when he placed the sensors down near a line of black silt along the back of the beach, the meters on both his gadgets spiked. The counters registered about 415 counts per minute. A cpm of 30 is considered the baseline for radioactivity typically found in the air.

“It's not normal. I've never seen 400 cpm when I just wave my Geiger around.” he said. “There has to be something radioactive for it to do that.”

Weiss is no amateur; for 40 years he has made a living designing Geiger counters, most recently for International Medcom Inc. After he verified the hotspot, he took a sample of the dark sediment and sent it to his company's main offices in Sebastopol for analysis.

International Medcom CEO Dan Sythe later put the dirt sample in a spectrum analyzer to view the radioactive “signature” of the particles, the photon energy associated with each isotope. What he found was different from cesium-137, the fissile material used in the Fukushima reactors. He would know – since the 2011 meltdown, Sythe has visited Japan nine times to help map the cesium fallout.

Instead he was seeing radium and thorium, naturally occurring radioactive elements.

“It doesn’t mean that it‘s OK. It's not something you'd want your baby playing in,” Sythe said. “All we’re saying is this radiation is not from Fukushima.”

Sythe summarized his findings on his blog in the hopes that it would dispel a sense of panic spreading on the Internet that Fukushima radiation was hitting U.S. shores. People were posting online claiming that the West Coast would soon be “toast,” he said, so it was vital to get better information online.

The radiation scare followed a constellation of other alarming news in recent months. Last month, marine biologists announced that starfish were mysteriously disintegrating along the West Coast, a trend that has not been linked yet to any cause. Past computer simulations had indicated that radioactive cesium-137 from the Fukushima reactors could begin appearing on West Coast shores by early 2014. Those findings, published in August by the Institute for Cross-Disciplinary Physics and Complex Systems in Spain, also noted that any radioactive material that crossed the Pacific would likely be diluted and fall below international safety levels.

Public fear and paranoia has clouded the Fukushima issue since the start of the disaster, said Dan Hirsch, a nuclear policy lecturer at the University of California, Santa Cruz. He believes the problem stems from a vacuum of data from the government, prompting amateur sleuths with Geiger counters to seek their own answers. He pointed out that the Environmental Protection Agency gave assurances to the public in 2011 that the Fukushima radiation posed no public health risk. But later a 2012 audit revealed that many of the EPA’s radiation monitors were out of service at the time of the Fukushima disaster. For some, that fed the perception that the government had something to hide, he said.

“I'm frustrated because the government should be doing a better job, and the people who are fearmongering are just fanning the flames,” Hirsch said.

The viral video posted last month began spreading on the Internet before government officials took notice. County health officials first learned of the video four days after was uploaded, and they sent their own inspector out to the beach the next day. Using a different unit, the county inspector measured the beach to have a radiation level of about 100 micro-REM per hour, or about five times the normal amount. REM stands for “Roentgen equivalent man,” a measurement of the dosage and statistical biological effects presented by radiation.

Although the radiation levels were clearly higher than is typical, San Mateo County Health Officer Dean Peterson emphasized that it was still not a dangerous level for humans. A person would need to be exposed to 100 microREMs of radiation for 50,000 hours before it surpassed safety guidelines by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, he explained.

Peterson forwarded the matter to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and state Department of Public Health, agencies with more expertise on analyzing radioactivity. Both of those agencies were contacted by the Review this week, but officials said they were still investigating the situation. Peterson said he thought it was important to go forward with his information to assure the public that local beaches were still safe.

“I’m completely confident that what we have on the beach is not a public health threat,” he said.

Nonetheless, the presence and concentration of natural thorium and radium at Surfer’s Beach left experts puzzled. Both elements are actually common at beaches. In fact, a 2008 study by the Journal of the Serbian Chemical Society found similar concentrations at Southern California beaches.

Sythe offered a couple possible explanations. A vein of thorium could be spilling out from the nearby coastal bluffs, he suggested. Alternatively, he heard mention of an old oil pipe running nearby the beach. Oil pipelines had a tendency to collect heavy radioactive minerals, he said.

Peterson thought the minerals could be just washing up with the salt water from the shores. The radioactive materials all were just past the high tide line, so it made sense that would be where the minerals would build up, he said.

“The conditions that are out on the beach could be the same conditions that have been out there for millennia,” he said.

SOME HARD SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE FISH DIE-OFF UNRELATED TO FUKISHIMA

Is the sea floor littered with dead animals due to radiation? No.

The reason I am unfamiliar with a study providing evidence of “Dead sea creatures cover 98 percent of ocean floor off California coast; up from 1 percent before Fukushima” is because no such study exists. Here are the details of the actual study.

http://deepseanews.com/2014/01/is-the-sea-floor-littered-with-dead-animals-due-to-radiation-no/

BabaRa
8th January 2014, 17:56
Hi Herbert, great post!

It's been my experience that you can find a scientist or an expert that will substantiate just about anything.

It's my understanding that after Fukishima the US changed their guidelines for the amount of radiation that is "dangerous" to humans. Of course in the direction of "we can handle more."

They did the same thing with earthquake magnitudes several years ago. When earthquakes began getting bigger, they changed their rating scale.

Safe cholesterol levels seem to change regularly. Yes, their goal is to keep us in Fear and Confused...... and truth is: There's no much we can do about most of it anyways.

We now live in a very toxic world: pesticides, chemtrails, GMO foods, fluoride, etc, etc, etc. Even if you grow your food yourself, you're not sure what's leaching from neihboring lands or falling from the sky or whats in the water you're putting on your crops.

We must all do the best we can. But again, it's good to stay informed, as long as you can do it without going into Fear Mode.

I believe humans are great alchemists. It's amazing that we can eat a vegetable and turn it into blood, bones, etc.

Maybe, we also have the ability to do the same with toxins - who knows. I'm not advocating toxicity here, but just a reminder that often our belief systems lock us into something that not necessarily in our best interest.

Calz
8th January 2014, 19:21
No question about the levels of radiation now entering the ecosystem in amerika.

Debate on how much damage that presents.

[perhaps we should pay attention to all the various ocean life that are dying on massive scale ... or else continue to watch dancing with the stars??? ... your choice]

KosmicKat
8th January 2014, 19:31
The OP isn't exactly a surprise to me: BF said at the outset that the damage at Fukushima was less than was being shouted abroad and given the number of us who can read Japanese, before we start filtering the messages in the available mainstream media I say the question should be asked. Have we been lied to?

It also wouldn't surprise me if the increasing radiation levels on the west coast of America are not the result of natural processes.

Calz
8th January 2014, 19:42
Well it is certainly true that there have been massive animal die offs of most every type for several years now.

Seems "logical" that the radiation is (at least partially) responsible in the pacific as well as the "oil spill" in the gulf.

I offer no proof ... but logic and "circumstantial evidence" seem to be weighted in that direction.

Sparky
8th January 2014, 20:45
What I'm about to write will stretch your mind where it hasn't gone before showing how man screws up.

As recent as 30 years ago, rock fish (stripped bass) were abundant from Maine on south in the ocean, rivers and estuaries. Navigation aids in the 60's- 70's early 80's were still limited to Loran A/ C; Sonar with rotating flasher for depth and determination of bottom quality (hard, soft or possible wreck or debris); then came a larger sonar box with impregnated roll paper and needle scratched images (like the first fax machines that came out in early 70's) on the paper for those less experienced interpreting anomalies with the flasher unit.
The purpose of the sonar units in addition to determine water depth included locating schools of fish, determine the species depending where they showed up in the thermocline or bottom.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermocline

As the 90's approached, all fishing changed drastically. It wasn't only "sport fishing" with GPS, color video screens, etc. on board. Spotter planes were engaged more and more to find schools who would then radio select commercial skippers of factory vessels engaged in use of "purse seines" or "high rollers". Stocks of fish depleted rapidly. Government natural resources stepped in and put a moratorium or harvest limit on depleted species. Slowly, stocks of these large fish gradually returned and replenished early 2000.

At the bottom of the food chain are menhaden, bay anchovies, krill, etc. all needed for growth and nourishment of larger fish.

A new health industry toting "fish oil", Omega 3 etc., is born and humans start popping fish oil capsules harvested from these small fish and now they are depleted.

Large rock fish have been back and now starving. Rock fish are in poor health as documented by "fat levels" in them from biologists reports. Examining the guts of the large fish, they now contain weird stuff they never ate before.

About humans...those who survive will be eating the bark off the trees and other weird stuff just like the rock fish, also called "strippers" or channel bass depending on their location of the East Coast.

Sparky
8th January 2014, 21:06
I've been reading fish reports from Alaska on South, including many who claim it's radiation that's depleting stocks and making them sick.

The technology used today in fishing has depleted stocks world wide, including those necessary at the bottom of the food chain. The fish that remain are struggling for survival and starving.

You will not find many reports mentioning this. Just reports that they are finding weird things in their guts.

Why are fish eating weird stuff? When your hungry, you'll put anything in your belly to make the hunger pangs less, just like you would drink pouted water when nothing to drink.

During WW I, and II, there was cannibalism in Russia and Europe no one wants to discuss

BabaRa
8th January 2014, 21:15
What I'm about to write will stretch your mind where it hasn't gone before showing how man screws up.

Not sure why you would say that on a Forum such as this - I think most of us have been stretched in every direction. . . . but do appreciate your post.

Besides what you listed: there's the oil spills, the corexit they poured into the Gulf after BP's disaster there, and the other toxins that industry dumps in one way or another. Not to mention that huge sludge of plastic, etc., in the middle of the ocean. Then there's the military sonar. Clearly a mess.

And as far as taking fish oil - my naturopathic told me many folks here in the states are taking too much, which is causing gallbladder problems. She said most of us don't need any at all.

Sparky
8th January 2014, 21:20
Herbert:

Your comment about "fear tactic" is most likely the cause for all the chatter.

I found this comment on the link you posted. Do you see the word "MAY" I outlined in bold below? These friggen people are so called EXPERTS! An expert doesn't guess and write "may". Common sense tells you if they were conjoined, they would most probably experience difficulties finding nourishment as they aged.

If they're dead, do an autopsy and know what killed them. What was in their guts?
The report below is trash on the fear fire of Fukushima someone wants embedded in our minds.

Conjoined Gray Whale Calves Found Dying Near the West Coast Raise Questions About Fukushima and Radiation
January 8, 2014 American Live Wire

Conjoined gray whale calves have been found dying off the West Coast by scientists in Mexico’s Scammon’s Lagoon. (the Mexican state of Baja California Sur)
Scientists made the discovery on Sunday and stated that none of the calves they found survived.
The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County have NO records of conjoined gray whales being found.

Experts are expressing their concerns that the deformities and deaths with rare animals may have something to do with the Fukushima disaster.
The Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences published a study which stated that the death rate in the Pacific has risen to the highest it has ever been over the course of 24 years.

http://americanlivewire.com/2014-1-8-conjoined-gray-whale-calves/

Sparky
8th January 2014, 21:48
Not sure why you would say that on a Forum such as this - I think most of us have been stretched in every direction. . . . but do appreciate your post.

It's because no one wants to report/discuss nourishment as the cause of species depletion openly in the scientific community.

I understand the reason why.

Besides what you listed: there's the oil spills, the corexit they poured into the Gulf after BP's disaster there, and the other toxins that industry dumps in one way or another. Not to mention that huge sludge of plastic, etc., in the middle of the ocean. Then there's the military sonar. Clearly a mess.

Yes, everything above are contributing stress factors and many more. Fish have a marvelous innate ability to seek a healing environment providing there is nourishment to sustain them.