PDA

View Full Version : Young and Jobless

Calabash
31st December 2013, 19:13
This is a very important video, one that I have just watched on BBC News Channel. It affects all young people in all countries and shows just how bad the situation is everywhere in the world. This really brings it home like a sledgehammer how serious the situation is.

No solution to the problem is given in the video but imo it seems as though youth's best bet is to try and find something they can do on their own - to all become self-employed. This of course is extremely difficult for all but the very gifted to do, especially with no work experience or skills to draw on. My daughter is 26 and she has never managed to secure paid work even though there are many things she is capable of doing. Apart from the obvious ramifications of not being able to support herself, there are also the feelings of poor self-esteem to be taken into account.

I hope you are able to access the video. If Youth are our future then our future looks very bleak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGMJqXn47AE

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01p8tfm/Young_and_Jobless/

ronin
31st December 2013, 20:06
here,s a link that countries may want to borrow and develop.
give everyone a basic income and they can create their notions and do what they want.
learn what you want,but remember to give back to the community.

http://www.salon.com/2013/10/11/rather_than_savage_cuts_switzerland_considers_star _trek_economics/

KosmicKat
1st January 2014, 00:04
I don't think a normal, healthy human being can be content to live without making some contribution to society, or perhaps more importantly, without receiving some recognition from society. Since recognition depends heavily on contribution I see the two as inextricably linked. I don't believe the fabric of society would collapse if a minimum income were introduced, although there might need to be some programme to ensure that less popular jobs were performed just as reliably as the "dream" jobs.

1st January 2014, 01:11
I don't think a normal, healthy human being can be content to live without making some contribution to society, or perhaps more importantly, without receiving some recognition from society. Since recognition depends heavily on contribution I see the two as inextricably linked. I don't believe the fabric of society would collapse if a minimum income were introduced, although there might need to be some programme to ensure that less popular jobs were performed just as reliably as the "dream" jobs.

Dangerous ground though surely? I hate to bring politics in but this is a classic communist argument. We already have (in western society) a communist agenda whereby we all comply (animal farm......by not speaking out) and some animals are more equal than others. We are played on every level.....religiously, emotionally, financially, spiritually and completely. If the base level of that system were raised it would only further the value of fiat currency and change nothing.....other than the geographic spread of suffering.

In that sense (as I see it kk....) I'm lost! What does one do to change that status quo other than work inwards? That's a sincere question meant with respect.

Vitalux
1st January 2014, 03:14
No solution to the problem is given in the video but imo it seems as though youth's best bet is to try and find something they can do on their own - to all become self-employed.

Perhaps the reason why there is no solution to the problem in the video, is because there is no solution to the problem.
Perhaps the problem, is the solution to a much larger conception of how the machine operates.
In other words, things are operating the way they were designed to.
Trying to fix, it, would only spin another paradox portal of unsustainable possibilities.

KosmicKat
1st January 2014, 11:39
I hate to bring politics in but this is a classic communist argument.

A dangerous argument indeed! Thank you for reminding me that the biggest flaw in the communist ideal continues to be human nature. Or perhaps it would be fairer to say that there are some humans whose nature is not closely aligned with the majority, and it is those humans who pose the greatest threat to an otherwise utopian society. In short, the psychopaths. But I have a feeling that they are a part of the system for a reason that we don't yet understand and if we remove them without understanding why they are there we risk replacing them with something equally troublesome if not worse.

BabaRa
1st January 2014, 17:36
Perhaps the reason why there is no solution to the problem in the video, is because there is no solution to the problem.
Perhaps the problem, is the solution to a much larger conception of how the machine operates.
In other words, things are operating the way they were designed to.
Trying to fix, it, would only spin another paradox portal of unsustainable possibilities.

Yes, until we change the system, it is difficult to change the behavior of the people in the system.

Of course, the BIG question is: HOW do we change the system.

I think giving everyone a decent wage is certainly a beginning - (as is pointed out in Ronin's post above, but I also think having them work for this decent wage is part of the component. There is so much need in every country, people who are unemployed could do much service as volunteers, etc. And when I say a decent wage, I mean something more than struggling at poverty level.

That would mean that the rich would have to be willing to give up some $$, and unfortunately, I see little willingness there.

So perhaps the huge disparity that the rich have created between us in their greed, will end up being their own downfall. Nothing like turning the screws, to make people respond and that is definitely happening. How we respond and how those in power will respond will make a difference.

In the end, inner reform MUST precede social reform. Are we there yet?

ronin
1st January 2014, 18:08
and in the land of the ancients.
let,s say atlantis or lemuria they had this same problem of unemployment?
i would,nt have thought so.
the people would have had one goal.
and that is the difference.our society tells us to look after oneself.
maybe the atlantian,s knew the goal was one of spiritual development and they all strived for it.

so much has been lost that we have all become selfless,selfish,self,me and i.

maybe we do need a global consciousness for spiritual development.
knowing what you are striving for would help.

Calabash
1st January 2014, 18:51
Good point Ronin, except they bit the dust too, albeit for other reasons. Having said that, we know very little about their society, although for the sake of interest here is a link to a website which pertains to tell us all about the Atlantean societal structure. It does not ring true to me, although of course I am of a different civilisation altogether . . . .
http://thelighthouseonline.com/articles/atlantis4.html

We do need global consciousness but it's not likely to happen in our lifetimes unfortunately. Although we on the forum consider ourselves to be free spirits (apologies - I don't mean to talk for everyone :)) we still seem to waiting for somebody else to do something to make everything better. Someone like the government maybe? The government to achieve any kind of consciousness apart from the very minimum needed to line their own pockets? Hmmm . . . No, it's going to have to be something really MEGA. but what would be mega enough?

modwiz
1st January 2014, 19:34
A functioning world would not have "jobs", IMO. We would have vocations based on what we do well or can be of assistance to. Joy comes from doing. If what you are doing it not bringing one joy, it is because they are a cog in a broken machine. The world is currently built wrong. When the foundation, us, decides to act in true self interest, repairs will begin.

modwiz
1st January 2014, 19:42
But I have a feeling that they are a part of the system for a reason that we don't yet understand and if we remove them without understanding why they are there we risk replacing them with something equally troublesome if not worse.

Pathogens are messengers, providing information about the environment they can find support from.

Worrying about who might replace them is a paralyzing state of mind. We, replace them. The real talent is not with "them". It is with us. There are natural leaders and administrators. We have to make sure the new ones represent our interests. It is doable. It is finding the will, in between sports and other distractions.

modwiz
1st January 2014, 19:50
I see comments that still are expecting government to give us what we want. That is what a minimum wage is. A crumb from gov't. The system is broken, like my broken record of a comment.

I could be collecting unemployment but I do not so so because that would be using a system I despise.

The opening video comes from the BBC. Why is anyone watching this propaganda channel? Why does anyone still have a cable subscription, supporting a system that exists to misinform us and create urges to buy what we do not need?

Please do not answer. The answers are painful to hear.

Transmitted from a dimension adjacent to the consensus.

Calabash
2nd January 2014, 11:17
I see comments that still are expecting government to give us what we want. That is what a minimum wage is. A crumb from gov't. The system is broken, like my broken record of a comment.

I could be collecting unemployment but I do not so so because that would be using a system I despise.

The opening video comes from the BBC. Why is anyone watching this propaganda channel? Why does anyone still have a cable subscription, supporting a system that exists to misinform us and create urges to buy what we do not need?

Please do not answer. The answers are painful to hear.

Transmitted from a dimension adjacent to the consensus.

:) How can you lob a hand grenade in and not expect a response (even if you haven’t removed the pin)?

The video content reflects my fears of the current situation and therefore imo appears to be a valid assessment of the current youth world job market. In the same way that David Attenborough’s views about population control should not detract from his spectacular nature programmes, we should not cut ourselves off from available information, however unpalatable the source. I will not defend the BBC other than that as what you say is true. I also agree that the system is broken but the effects are ongoing and still continuing; there is still a long and painful way to go before it halts altogether.

Two relevant matters I wanted to raise are: what do forum members feel about:

Vastly over-qualified students taking on jobs at McDonalds, for instance, which leaves lesser qualified people unable to find work and

Volunteering, which seems to play into employers’ hands.

KosmicKat
2nd January 2014, 12:00
and in the land of the ancients.
let,s say atlantis or lemuria they had this same problem of unemployment?
i would,nt have thought so.
the people would have had one goal.
and that is the difference.our society tells us to look after oneself.
maybe the atlantian,s knew the goal was one of spiritual development and they all strived for it.

so much has been lost that we have all become selfless,selfish,self,me and i.

maybe we do need a global consciousness for spiritual development.
knowing what you are striving for would help.

Am I at least partly right in thinking that what you are advocating is a society based on doing what you can to meet the needs of those around you rather than focussing exclusively on meeting your own needs?

BabaRa
2nd January 2014, 18:23
Just a suggestion: Let us not get lost in semantics. None of us use the correct wording all the time - instead, let's look at the deeper meaning behind what a person is trying to say. We constantly get side-railed in the details; as if we're so busy looking for the ants, we get stampeded by the elephants. This is what the PTB count on - we all quote it regularly: Divide and conquer. Yet we continue to fall for the programming.

I believe we are all here to find a better way - and we're each doing it in the best way that we can. Let's not judge the path of another. Unemployment is an important issue for all of us. We need to consider all ideas of ways to make the world a better place.

There is someone much smarter than you and me - - and that's all of us together.

Said with much love, Barbara

ronin
2nd January 2014, 18:36
how many people are with out employment?
how many people are in employment but are not happy?

the notion of the basic wage imo is to help people do what they want.
be creative.
explore their potential and find something that they really enjoy.

when your forced into the machine you know your soul starts to scratch and then will start screaming.

but if you are given that option to develop your creativeness ,surely you soul will be content?

like we saw in the animal communication video,we have lost our true potential of what we really are.

creative beings.

modwiz
2nd January 2014, 23:35
how many people are with out employment?
how many people are in employment but are not happy?

the notion of the basic wage imo is to help people do what they want.
be creative.
explore their potential and find something that they really enjoy.

when your forced into the machine you know your soul starts to scratch and then will start screaming.

but if you are given that option to develop your creativeness ,surely you soul will be content?

like we saw in the animal communication video,we have lost our true potential of what we really are.

creative beings.

We are all given the opportunity to develop our creativeness. All the time! Thinking a handout from gov't will open up creativity is not an idea I resonate with. I think it operates as an excuse for why people are not seizing the initiative always available. My biggest challenge is dealing with excuses, whether my own or others and the extreme lengths the ego or habituated subconscious self will go to cover for lack of personal initiative.

Our biggest collective job is to WakeTF up and then do something with the new data that pours in.

There is a system that needs tearing down and replacing and professional sports goes with it. Let some men try that one on for starters. The money these players make is only justified by the distraction they provide for the PTB. Sports for fun? Great idea. As a business? Oh please.

modwiz
2nd January 2014, 23:40

(Sarcasm alert) Just what my infinite soul needs, a stipend/handout from gov't.:hilarious::fpalm: Once we start looking to our selves and Source (the same at a certain juncture) for our needs and wants, the rest will start to fall into place.

I appreciate you digging and looking at things, ronin.

BabaRa
3rd January 2014, 18:35
(Sarcasm alert) Just what my infinite soul needs, a stipend/handout from gov't.:hilarious::fpalm: Once we start looking to our selves and Source (the same at a certain juncture) for our needs and wants, the rest will start to fall into place.

I appreciate you digging and looking at things, ronin.

I agree with the fact that expecting the gov't to give one a handout is not the way . . .on the other hand, WE gave to the gov't for that purpose (through taxation).

Unemployment is just the gov't giving back to us what they have been taking out of our paychecks since day one for this very purpose. Same with social security and Medicare. While it might not be the best system, the fact is, it's the one we're in, so: It's really our money coming back at us. I don't believe one should consider it a handout. We worked for that money. I paid into unemployment (not by choice, because like everyone else, it's mandated and automatically deducted) for 40 years. And in that time, I collected once for 6 months. If you add up what I paid in, and what I got out, I think you can guess who came out ahead - and it wasn't me.

I'm guessing Modwiz at this point in your life, you only have you to be responsible for. . . But think of the young men/women with 2 or 3 young children that they have to keep feed and clothed. The ones I know that have lost jobs are looking to themselves for other options, but in the meantime, the unemployment checks they are getting are keeping them out of shelters. And, as I pointed out above, that is money they and their employers paid into unemployment for this very purpose.

modwiz
3rd January 2014, 21:07
I agree with the fact that expecting the gov't to give one a handout is not the way . . .on the other hand, WE gave to the gov't for that purpose (through taxation).

Unemployment is just the gov't giving back to us what they have been taking out of our paychecks since day one for this very purpose. Same with social security and Medicare. While it might not be the best system, the fact is, it's the one we're in, so: It's really our money coming back at us. I don't believe one should consider it a handout. We worked for that money. I paid into unemployment (not by choice, because like everyone else, it's mandated and automatically deducted) for 40 years. And in that time, I collected once for 6 months. If you add up what I paid in, and what I got out, I think you can guess who came out ahead - and it wasn't me.

I'm guessing Modwiz at this point in your life, you only have you to be responsible for. . . But think of the young men/women with 2 or 3 young children that they have to keep feed and clothed. The ones I know that have lost jobs are looking to themselves for other options, but in the meantime, the unemployment checks they are getting are keeping them out of shelters. And, as I pointed out above, that is money they and their employers paid into unemployment for this very purpose.

I am aware of all this and your third paragraph is a sticking point, for sure. They have made choices so they are reaping what they have sowed with regards to responsibilities. It is the reality they have created. The financial hard times is just increasing the focus of their life choices. This is said from an observer status. Albeit, an observer standing at the periphery of the same storm they find themselves in. I do have some skin in the game.

If I had remained married the situation would force my hand to collect. I had enough of situational compromises and left my marriage. Just to be able to lead the life I know is right for me. I am aware I make hard choices other would not. This is at the heart of creating your own reality. Real life choices, not lighting candles, are where ideas become reality.

I am not preaching or even suggesting. I am cataloging the gulf that exists between some of us. The ability to share language is not to be confused with sharing the same reality. Only experience of being in the world and not of it can give the "proof" that this is possible.

Watching people do the things they do and then have to see them suffer is not pleasant. Ignorance is not always bliss.