PDA

View Full Version : One Million US Jobless to Lose Financial Aid

Calabash
29th December 2013, 01:02
I just found this article on the BBC News website. This is just awful for our American friends but I have one daughter on benefits in UK and the goalposts are moving here all the time too.

One million US jobless to lose financial aid

Some 4.1 million Americans have been out of work for six months or longer

More than a million Americans will lose their unemployment benefits after an emergency federal programme expires on Saturday.

Lawmakers failed to agree on an extension of the scheme before the US Congress began its winter recess.

Former President George W Bush introduced the assistance plan in 2008 at the start of the recession.

Under the programme, jobless people received an average monthly stipend of $1,166 for up to 73 weeks.

The White House says the benefits have kept millions of families out of poverty, but many Republicans argue that the scheme's annual $25bn price tag is too expensive.

The stalemate comes two months after a budget fight in the US Congress led to the partial shutdown of the government.

'Urgent priority'
President Barack Obama has vowed to push for the renewal of the expired programme when Congress reconvenes in early January.

"The president said his administration would, as it has for several weeks now, push Congress to act promptly and in bipartisan fashion to address this urgent economic priority," White House spokesman Josh Earnest said.

An estimated 1.3 million people will initially be cut off with the end of the "emergency unemployment compensation", US officials say.

Millions more could be affected next year after they lose state benefits, which in many states expire after six months.

The financial aid was designed to help US citizens who lost their jobs during the recession and were unable to find new work while receiving the state benefits.

The US unemployment rate fell to a five-year low of 7% in November, according to the US Labor Department.

But the long-term jobless rate remains a problem for the economy, with some 4.1 million Americans currently out of work for six months or longer.

There has been repeated political wrangling between the Republicans, who control the lower house - the House of Representatives - and the Democrats, who have a majority in the upper house, the Senate.

Because of disagreements between the two houses over federal government spending, the US Congress failed to pass a budget before the fiscal year ended on 30 September.

Both sides eventually struck a last-gasp deal in October to end the federal shutdown and raise the federal debt limit.

Wolf Khan
29th December 2013, 03:08
Well the darkies can't care for humans, as it is beyond their comprehension. Science is all they know as it conforms to their limited reality. Humans love humans, and all else, because it is what we do. Love is our 1st and primary truth, all else that is like unto it follows after.

BabaRa
29th December 2013, 22:23
Unfortunately, this will mean more foreclosures, more strains on shelters that are already low on donations - and ultimately more homeless.

Calz
30th December 2013, 04:06
'Urgent priority'

President Barack Obama has vowed to push for the renewal of the expired programme when Congress reconvenes in early January.

"The president said his administration would, as it has for several weeks now, push Congress to act promptly and in bipartisan fashion to address this urgent economic priority," White House spokesman Josh Earnest said.

Sounds noble ... right?

Good intent?

Well another "shoe to drop" (losing track of just how many "shoes" there are but I digress) is that there will likely be millions more losing their jobs next year due to layoffs coming from businesses that cannot afford the massive increases in healthcare costs due to Obummercare.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-tot-2NFk3zY/ULkO1fAJDgI/AAAAAAAAPTQ/sYxzJHAwopA/s1600/funny+obamacare.jpg

Calabash
30th December 2013, 10:56
And yet we're all going along with it, same as we do everything else.

I was talking to a friend who lives in New York who has undergone major heart surgery recently, which cost a fortune. I pointed out how lucky he was to have been able to jump the queue (like we have on NHS in the UK) and he said that on the contrary in the US people have to wait a month for a routine appointment at the doctor, only it costs megabucks. Can't think what Obamacare must be like then . . . . :(

BabaRa
30th December 2013, 18:38
And yet we're all going along with it, same as we do everything else.

I was talking to a friend who lives in New York who has undergone major heart surgery recently, which cost a fortune. I pointed out how lucky he was to have been able to jump the queue (like we have on NHS in the UK) and he said that on the contrary in the US people have to wait a month for a routine appointment at the doctor, only it costs megabucks. Can't think what Obamacare must be like then . . . . :(

So far - a mess.

Calz
30th December 2013, 18:53
Look beyond the "mess". Passage and implementation of Obummercare was a stated need for the illooney naughties to take it to the next step.

This is a carefully scripted assault on the amerikan people.

Not a fan of Palin but she got it right on the "death panels" for the elderly. I have seen the text in the bill (don't remember where). It truly is an aspect of keeping the medical system financially viable. Yes ... get it??? There are planned types of circumstances where people will be killed (or allowed to die) when it becomes too expensive to the "system" to keep them alive.

Think about that ...

http://www.justsaypictures.com/images/obamacare-03.jpg

Calabash
30th December 2013, 23:50
OMG - that picture really made me laugh out loud Calz . . . . warped or what?

Eelco
31st December 2013, 05:30
National health insurance is something that has existed here for as long as I can remember and longer.
I always viewed is as something good. Meaning that everyone could get medical help when needed.
What I understand of American health care is portrayed in the movie Sicko, and shows I've seen like ST Elsewhere. So maybe(probbably) I am totally off the mark.

Why is it so bad to pay for the health care of a fellow human being, where today he has no hopes of medical care?
Event though the entire ensurance system is corrupted?

The economy is in the drain anyway, Healt insurance plans aren't going to make it better or worse are they.

I really don't understand.
With Love
Eelco

Calz
3rd January 2014, 02:19
Seriously???

Well let us set a base point so we can come a bit closer to understanding this shall we???

National health care *IF IN CONTROL OF BENEVOLENT PEOPLE WITH INTEGRITY AND HONOR* is not a *bad* thing.

I don't know what country you live in ... or why in the world you think anything beneficial to the amerikan sheeple is being offered here ... but let me give you a clue ...

Amerika is ruled by corporations. What is really going on with corporations??? They offer a shield on several levels to shelter the elite who really reap the rewards from businesses whose only aim is to make money at any expense (damn the peeps ... collateral damage of course).

So ... short story ... Obummercare offers the elite (who are not bashful about their wet dream of a one world government and killing off all but about 500,000 people ... of course who would be microchipped and totally under their control) complete control over the health care system.

***HELLO***???

Isn't this quite obvious to everyone???

Mandatory vaccinations (with who knows what ... nanochips etc) or else ...

I really feel like I live in the Matrix even here sometimes.

Isn't this obvious???

modwiz
3rd January 2014, 02:37
I really feel like I live in the Matrix even here sometimes.

Isn't this obvious???

Oh boy. Company.:p

Eelco
3rd January 2014, 03:27
Yup seriously.

I live in Holland. Where health care insurance plans were and are mandatory and getting more and more expensive.
Vaccinations were and are still a choice. In in 15 years and 6 kids I have seen a mellowing on the sides of doctors in allowing me the choice to pick 'n choose the vaccins I let them put in my kids.

ALas only this year healt care plans emerged that didn't allow a free choice of hospital or physisian any longer, but plent still do.

I can see the picture your painting Calz and far be it from me to encourage standard western medicine over alternatives. mostly. That said being allowed to have a broken bone set by a doctor is a reassuring feeling. Getting some of those needed drugs to keep you from dying is a good thing in the eyes of most people and as I understand it with obummer care now available for anyone?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I for one as a non-american have found what I know of the american health care until now to be a rather barbaric and capitalist system, where people without or with little means would just not recieve care at all. How is that better or worse over obamma care?

With Love
Eelco

Calz
3rd January 2014, 03:45
Eelco

Yes it was off the charts bad before ... no health maintenance ... only big pharma drugging before.

Have you (or anyone else in the world outside amerika) seen the advertisements for big pharma drugs???

Any of them???

It really is a sick comedy of amazing shock.

A drug advertisement will be offered suggesting the purpose of whatever drug ... followed by 5 fold explanations of the side effects???

Huh???

We can only laugh for so long.

Beyond belief ... why oh why is this nonsense allowed to continue???

Back to your question ... Obummercare is *not* the answer.

problem ... reaction ... solution ... or whatever they call it these days.