PDA

View Full Version : The music of our ancestors

Tribe
27th December 2013, 20:51
I recently came across the theory that the music of our ancestors can help raise our vibrational level by activating the DNA we posses. Lifting and healing us as spiritually as well as a deep physical level , I was wondering if that rings true for any of you ? :)

modwiz
27th December 2013, 21:05
Absolutely. There is also the tuning frequencies that are very important. The 432 vs. 440 'A' tuning being churned up lately. Rhythms are another factor. Volume and melody are other factors. Music generates frequencies and mood tones. It is also an excellent vehicle for the knowledge contained in words. The various metric values in poetry are also part of the effects.

Rock music may not have arisen without the irritating/stimulating (like caffeine) affects of 440 tuning.

Some thoughtful threads are popping up.:h5:

Tribe
27th December 2013, 21:12
I find maths really hard to remember but a song that is supported by good a good melody reach me and remain in my memory ! Always said if timetables were set to music I'd retain them :)

modwiz
27th December 2013, 21:55
I find maths really hard to remember but a song that is supported by good a good melody reach me and remain in my memory ! Always said if timetables were set to music I'd retain them :)

I think you are correct.

BabaRa
28th December 2013, 00:55
I have always responded to music. I can reach higher planes of consciousness through singing easier than through meditating, but that works for me as well.

I also respond to tuning fork therapy and Tibetan bowl therapy. The sound literally pulls me in.

Wolf Khan
28th December 2013, 01:20
Absolutely. There is also the tuning frequencies that are very important. The 432 vs. 440 'A' tuning being churned up lately. Rhythms are another factor. Volume and melody are other factors. Music generates frequencies and mood tones. It is also an excellent vehicle for the knowledge contained in words. The various metric values in poetry are also part of the effects.

Rock music may not have arisen without the irritating/stimulating (like caffeine) affects of 440 tuning.

Some thoughtful threads are popping up.:h5:

I know nothing about Musical Theory modwiz, however, I agree the 440 tuning you mentioned is exactly like an irritation, that can't be scratched, unless of course we switch it off or don't play it. With it being created by "PTW" it is not hard to see why it was created. Just my uneducated 2 cents.

modwiz
28th December 2013, 01:47
I know nothing about Musical Theory modwiz, however, I agree the 440 tuning you mentioned is exactly like an irritation, that can't be scratched, unless of course we switch it off or don't play it. With it being created by "PTW" it is not hard to see why it was created. Just my uneducated 2 cents.

I play all of my personal music in 432 tuning. The resistance I encounter with other musicians, not all, is mildly frustrating. It's a learning process. Rockers are not looking to soothe in most applications of the genre.

Seikou-Kishi
28th December 2013, 04:12
What is sound but a waveform carrying information? If you load a virus-riddled disc into your computer, your computer will begin to malfunction. Load helpful programming, and your computer will function well and in new and better ways. It doesn't seem any different with humans and music.

lookbeyond
28th December 2013, 22:46
"In the beginning was the Word" some say "God" is creative sound waves -im sadly and reluctantly heading in this direction

modwiz
28th December 2013, 23:15
"In the beginning was the Word" some say "God" is creative sound waves -im sadly and reluctantly heading in this direction

To say the The One is anything other than everything is erroneous. I will not argue one way or the other about the existence of The One. My comment was regarding definitions of Diety.

Lao Tzu said, "The Tao that can be perceived is not the true Tao. The true Tao cannot be perceived." The true Tao, Way or One cannot perceived in Its entirety.

Cearna
29th December 2013, 02:25
When I was in Molokaii, I was given a CD to listen to, made by one of the church groups there and their choir, but singing songs they had written themselves.

When I played it, my memory came to me, of at least 4 of those songs being songs sung on the Island, way back in time, the music was the same but the words were there own, yet they thought these were written by themselves. I just felt, how true it is that all things from the past still hang around in the residual, for those who have the talent to pick up and bring into being once again. As far as I felt it to be that music was too old to still be remembered today. It has to still be sitting in the sound waves for the talented to find once again.

This bit is for you Modwiz - when I was doing my bit during the triple fire sign conjunction, some one way down the mountain was playing a cassette player at decibels above what my own hearing could handle, and it was disturbing the peace and stillness of all else there (and there were many). I was working and it was taking me out of balance, so I called out to the Goddess of creativity, to "Do something about that noise", then the music was turned off. It kept re-occurring so I kept asking for something to be done about it, it probably was the abhorrent waves,you keep telling us about.

modwiz
29th December 2013, 03:56
This bit is for you Modwiz - It kept re-occurring so I kept asking for something to be done about it, it probably was the abhorrent waves,you keep telling us about.

I am not sure what you are referring to here, Cearna. An assist would be appreciated.

I want to stay on track. :)

BabaRa
29th December 2013, 04:34
I've always thought it was interesting that the song Auld Lang Syne has been popular for special occasions in so many Western cultures. The Scotsman Robert Burns has been credited with writing it, but I read somewhere that Burns said that he learned it from Troubadours.

Back in the 90's when I was attending an "I Am" conference at Mt. Shasta, a speaker from the Caribbean (I think Jamaica) said that was the song that the inhabitants of Lemuria (sometimes referred to as MU) sang as the Island was destroyed. They held hands on the shore and sang it and promised that the song would always be passed down and when it was sung future generations would remember their connection.

And look at this concert in Germany. When Auld Lang Syne begins, the entire audience all stand, hold hands and and sway - on cue - Interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlrO6DsmCuA

Cearna
29th December 2013, 08:26
I am not sure what you are referring to here, Cearna. An assist would be appreciated.

I want to stay on track. :)

The 440 tuning , played at full bore in a place where the sound was travelling over a large distance, on a day when many people were going up and down the mountain, with a great many of them intending to meditate in the quiet and stillness of the Australian bushland. Most people there were not quite sure what they were meant to do on such an auspicious day, but most wanted to do their bit towards the healing of the Earth with so much energy being present. No one could help but notice the change in the sky, it was such as I had never seen before or since and we were feeling very much within this specialness, then this blaring music came at us. It jarred the system, because only the people close to the player could hear it as meant to, the rest of us caught the distortion of it over the open air. It was so out of place and so in your face. Does this make sense, I think had it been the correct tuning, it wouldn't jar but would have been fitting. This was rock music, maybe it was me?

mojo
29th December 2013, 17:47
Always wondered if there was an ability to send a wave into infinity. To make a sound wave geometric, an example would be the way sound moves on water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uENITui5_jU

mojo
29th December 2013, 17:53
the ancients may have used sound based on geometry in a resonating chamber?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnEjaHdzfXw

modwiz
29th December 2013, 19:21
The 440 tuning , played at full bore in a place where the sound was travelling over a large distance, on a day when many people were going up and down the mountain, with a great many of them intending to meditate in the quiet and stillness of the Australian bushland. Most people there were not quite sure what they were meant to do on such an auspicious day, but most wanted to do their bit towards the healing of the Earth with so much energy being present. No one could help but notice the change in the sky, it was such as I had never seen before or since and we were feeling very much within this specialness, then this blaring music came at us. It jarred the system, because only the people close to the player could hear it as meant to, the rest of us caught the distortion of it over the open air. It was so out of place and so in your face. Does this make sense, I think had it been the correct tuning, it wouldn't jar but would have been fitting. This was rock music, maybe it was me?

You got me back on track. What you are positing makes sense and it seems like the music was used as a weapon. I can feel a very real difference between the two tunings. With very rare exceptions, we are immersed in the frequencies of this music and its irritant nature. I do not listen to music much. I play it more than listen to it. Part of my not listening is because of the tuning.

Calabash
29th December 2013, 23:52
There is something known as the Mozart Effect, which is supposed to stimulate the brain and make you brighter

Here is Requiem in D Minor, which has received almost 34,000,000 "hits" on You Tube. I must admit to finding it a tad irritating (which I guess says a lot about my brain . . . . .)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi8vJ_lMxQI

KosmicKat
30th December 2013, 12:10
the ancients may have used sound based on geometry in a resonating chamber?

I have been told that the reason so many old churches in Europe were built with such a magnificent resonating interior was precisely because the builders had retained, and passed on (unwritten) the understanding of previous generations. And of course, all the buildings that were planned and built with that resonance were erected long before the adoption of the "A"=440 Hz standard. There are a few "happy accidents" like the Snape Maltings concert hall at Aldeburgh in England, although, even there I can't help wondering if the builder was utilizing traditional knowledge rather than following the instructions of a formally educated architect?

(I have also been told that students of architecture are also encouraged to study the Snape Maltings if they want to better understand its acoustic properties).

Tribe
30th December 2013, 16:38
I have a real dislike of classical music , with the exception of a few , it really grates on me , I remember being really annoyed when my mum used to play it ,I find it painful . But put some celtic music on or the wonderful Native American music and I'm lifted up !! :) x

Tribe
30th December 2013, 16:43
I have always responded to music. I can reach higher planes of consciousness through singing easier than through meditating, but that works for me as well.

I also respond to tuning fork therapy and Tibetan bowl therapy. The sound literally pulls me in.

I am thinking of trying the Tibetan. Bowl therapy myself this new year , I've recently found a lady who does that nearby ! I will give anything a go to get this here body back to A state of fluidity. :) x

BabaRa
30th December 2013, 16:48
I am thinking of trying the Tibetan. Bowl therapy myself this new year , I've recently found a lady who does that nearby ! I will give anything a go to get this here body back to A state of fluidity. :) x

My body loves it. . . as for fluidity, dancing with abandonment always works for me.

ronin
30th December 2013, 16:50
enya sings in 432

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce6mBCl62OA

also canon d
who cannot love this peice,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJsPmOMaiVc

Tribe
30th December 2013, 16:52
My body loves it. . . as for fluidity, dancing with abandonment always works for me.

Already on it sister :) the kitchen is my dance floor lol :) when I find the energy ! Xx

Tribe
30th December 2013, 16:57
I have been told that the reason so many old churches in Europe were built with such a magnificent resonating interior was precisely because the builders had retained, and passed on (unwritten) the understanding of previous generations. And of course, all the buildings that were planned and built with that resonance were erected long before the adoption of the "A"=440 Hz standard. There are a few "happy accidents" like the Snape Maltings concert hall at Aldeburgh in England, although, even there I can't help wondering if the builder was utilizing traditional knowledge rather than following the instructions of a formally educated architect?

(I have also been told that students of architecture are also encouraged to study the Snape Maltings if they want to better understand its acoustic properties).

The church that was used for the film the da Vinci code ( help me out if you know the one I am talking about ) well it has in the roof beautiful patterns , that they thought were a code for something , it so happens that after some in depth analysis they discovered that each one is a vibrational pattern that translates to a single note and when played in order produced the most wonderful piece of music !! How awesome is that !!! , oh I think I have remembered the name , the Roselyn chapel ? Xx

Tribe
30th December 2013, 17:14
Stuart Mitchell, 41 and his father Tommy, 75, said they had deciphered a musical code locked in the stones of Rosslyn Chapel for more than 500 years.

They will perform the music in May at a concert in the 15th Century chapel.

Visitor numbers to the chapel have increased rapidly since it featured in Dan Brown's novel The Da Vinci Code.

Stuart Mitchell discovered a series of figures which he calls an "orchestra of angels" at the base of elaborate arches round the altar, with each angel holding a musical instrument.

He worked with his father to decipher the patterns on cubes which jut out from the arches.

Over the years this became more of an obsession than anything else and we decided we had to find out what was going on
Tommy Mitchell
Tommy Mitchell said the markings concealed a tune which they were determined to crack.

He said: "We were convinced from the position at the top of the pillars of the angels and they are all directly under the arches where the cubes occur that there was music there.

"We got clues from other books as well. Over the years this became more of an obsession than anything else and we decided we had to find out what was going on."

"If these patterns and cubes had not contained music anything we turned up would have been purely random and would not have sounded hauntily beautiful."

Stuart Mitchell said the tunes could have been hidden because knowledge of harmonics may have been seen as dangerous, even heretical, by 15th Century church authorities.

He said: "What we have here is a recorded piece of music, it is almost like a compact disc from the 15th

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/6605767.stm

ronin
30th December 2013, 17:22
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVATlX4XKMk

john parslow
30th December 2013, 17:26
That's cool ... Thanks!

Spiral
30th December 2013, 17:28
There was an extensive thread on TOT 1 about Rosslyn Chapel, there is an excellent article on it here; http://www.crystalinks.com/rosslynchapel.html

Tribe
30th December 2013, 17:31
I probably posted on it too spiral but I'm soo forgetful !! :frantic:

KosmicKat
31st December 2013, 12:10
I have a real dislike of classical music , with the exception of a few , it really grates on me , I remember being really annoyed when my mum used to play it ,I find it painful . But put some celtic music on or the wonderful Native American music and I'm lifted up !! :) x

There's classical music and there's "classical" music. I find a great deal of Haydn grates on me. Mozart tires me. Beethoven has helped once or twice. But the composers whose music I enjoy the most lived between the late 12th and early 17th centuries. Thanks to performers like the Dufay Collective and Ensemble Gilles Binchois new life has been breathed into what would otherwise have remained dusty tomes, the domain of scholars.

Calabash
31st December 2013, 19:47
How about this . . . . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2h2MSZbHTM

ronin
31st December 2013, 19:54
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=267LBdz-ywc

Calabash
31st December 2013, 22:51
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCjxZHGHL4Y&list=RDfR3jRhqSkUk

Moonlight
19th January 2014, 14:23
I first heard this song in my early twenties. I learned it very rapidly, from memory, as if it was still alive inside of me. I sung it as a lullaby to my daughter, it was her favourite song, and she now sings it to her son (I do too when he sleeps over... at his request).

It's an old French song. It is the story of an old blind man going from town to town and loving his life as it is.

http://youtu.be/eYW4Wx7sK3o