PDA

View Full Version : some old myths become the new reality...

mojo
27th December 2013, 18:28
Mermaids, Megalodon, Bigfoot, Ghosts, Star beings, and little people...Some of these never thought possible & whats around the corner?...;)

modwiz
27th December 2013, 20:03
I love gnomes and faeries. Very good friends if you respect them. Huge trust issues involved.

Tribe
27th December 2013, 20:20
I have a distant memory of seeing a small being running in the woods when I was around 10 years old , I was in a place where I felt very unwanted as if I had stumbled upon a place that was off limits !!!

modwiz
27th December 2013, 20:35
I have a distant memory of seeing a small being running in the woods when I was around 10 years old , I was in a place where I felt very unwanted as if I had stumbled upon a place that was off limits !!!

Like any functioning community, civilization or culture, ther is an immune response, in application, to anything entering the system. That is to say, when entering their "body/culture" you will be 'checked out'. Humans are a known possible 'pathogen' so we are always viewed with suspicion. You will be monitored while in their realm. They do their best to be off the beaten track.
I also experienced what you speak of in an old growth forest in the Adirondack mountains if NY. (Kind of like Fangorn in the LOTR) There was no real forest floor. It was made up of decades, if not centuries, of fallen branches. One felt that at any minute one could break through this wooden web and sink up to their crotch. The whole time I was in there, and I didna go very deep, there was a communication that I was not welcome. The issue of trust with the natural world is one to always be aware of. Trust can be built and it pays off.

For now, we appear as a fox approaching their chicken coop. It is assumed we are up to no good.

Seikou-Kishi
27th December 2013, 20:43
Of course, the word "fairy" is a broad term, and covers (or has been applied to) many different things often not in the slightest related to each other. I have had encounters with the beings you Modwiz and Tribe relate, though there was never a sense of being unwelcome or that my presence was causing some concern. It reminds me of a line from a song "here in our lives, Supernature lives and breathes"

modwiz
27th December 2013, 20:54
Of course, the word "fairy" is a broad term, and covers (or has been applied to) many different things often not in the slightest related to each other. I have had encounters with the beings you Modwiz and Tribe relate, though there was never a sense of being unwelcome or that my presence was causing some concern. It reminds me of a line from a song "here in our lives, Supernature lives and breathes"

Well, I have cut down a few living trees in my time. It was not pleasant but, it was part of my mountain living. I live under a big oak six months a year in my tent. We are good friends and it has been very kind as to when and where it drops its larger dead branches. I have a few select crystals and stones that have been placed at the base of the tree. They stay there year round. Two of them are 'heart' shaped.

modwiz
27th December 2013, 20:59
Of course, the word "fairy" is a broad term, and covers (or has been applied to) many different things often not in the slightest related to each other.

Agreed. However, there is a class of beings that fall into a category that could be called Faerie. I use the word 'class' in its taxonomic sense, for there are then orders, families and geni (plural of genus?) that follow.

There is also the human faerie bloodline. Princess Diana being and example of it. If it is true.:p

Not reporting 'facts'. Just observations of mine.

Tribe
27th December 2013, 21:21
The human faerie bloodline makes sense to me , I have met a few i am certain that I have , how I am certain is of a intuitive nature , I live in a very celtic part of the world where some folks seem very tolkin ! ;) I love it here , I also think I would like where you have been calling home modwiz :) x

Seikou-Kishi
27th December 2013, 22:00
Well, I have cut down a few living trees in my time. It was not pleasant but, it was part of my mountain living. I live under a big oak six months a year in my tent. We are good friends and it has been very kind as to when and where it drops its larger dead branches. I have a few select crystal and stones that have been placed at the base of the tree. They stay there year round. Two of them are 'heart' shaped.

Ah yes, they remember that sort of thing. But they're also telepathic, and they will know how you feel about what you have done and what kind of "place" those thoughts come from. It sounds magnificent, though, to live so closely with that tree. Oaks particularly entrance me, along with a few other types of tree. Birches, Rowans and Elders are the others with which I feel strongly connected. I don't know why these more particularly pull me. One that really doesn't is Elm, for some reason. I don't dislike it and would no sooner harm an Elm than any other, but I just don't really connect. I remember once being with friends and we were sitting in grass in the shade of a tree (an Elm, as it happens). One friend was absent-mindedly pulling bark off the tree and all I could say was "for god's sake man, this is a tree". It was like he'd never seen a tree before and I had never seen him. Trees are magical.

I remember when I was much younger I resolved myself to go out and get a branch for a particular purpose. I was in those days of the opinion that only a living branch would do, if you know what I mean. Anyway, I took quite a few things with me when I set out with this purpose. I took a woodman's knife, wax to seal the cut, some incense, a couple of different oils to treat the cut, a collection of huge lumps of quartz and a small, hand-held spade.

I found a tree that really pulled me in. It was a fine and sturdy elder, glowing with brimming good health. I sought permission of the tree to take a branch and felt that I received it. I cut the branch at a 45 degree angle. While that sounds like an unnecessary prolongation of the distress caused to the tree, it actually maximises how efficiently the cut drains moisture, which inhibits rot. Anyway, as I stood there looking at this tree, the cut I'd made and the branch in my hand, I decided on the spot that I should show the tree if the branch was important enough that I should harm it, I should be willing to harm myself and so, using the same knife (not yet cleaned) I deeply cut my hand and dripped my blood at the root of the tree. Then I treated around the tree's cut with oil and censed it with incense.

Once I'd finished doing all I could do for the cut at that moment (having decided not to wax it) I took my little spade and dug carefully into ground around its base. The ground was soft and I was able to bury the huge lumps of quartz in the ground around the tree. It had been my original intention to give these as a gift to whichever tree I would take a branch from. In the end, I think the blood was my respect for the tree and the quartz was my gratitude. It seemed important to me that I use the same blade and that I not try to clean it first, as though that would have insulted the tree. The wound healed quickly and perfectly, despite the lack of hygeine — I sometimes wonder if this was due to my diligence in nursing the tree's cut; from the viewpoint of sympathetic magic, it is not improbable.

I decided not to wax the cut, but to wait and see if it would grow back. So twice a day I'd visit the tree and check on the condition of the cut. I thought if it looked infected or rotten, as a last-resort I could cut away a little more and wax it. I kept the cut clean and used oils and incenses to protect it from pathogens and eventually the tree healed the cut.

I took the branch and the section that was most fitting for my purpose. The rest of the branch I planted in the hope that it would sprout roots like a cutting and it did; to this day I have the little elder that grew from that first elder. I feed them and if the summers are inclement, sometimes I water them. When the cut was healing, I'd water the tree daily with a liquid fertiliser of my father's recipe which promotes woody growth.

modwiz
27th December 2013, 22:02
The human faerie bloodline makes sense to me , I have met a few i am certain that I have , how I am certain is of a intuitive nature , I live in a very celtic part of the world where some folks seem very tolkin ! ;) I love it here , I also think I would like where you have been calling home modwiz :) x

You can see the archetypal energies that people resonate with. It manifests in body type and facial features, of course, but also in how one wears their hair and the clothes they choose. Then there are the poor, sleeping muggles, who have no active archetypal connection. It is theirs for the taking.

Seikou-Kishi
27th December 2013, 22:12
Agreed. However, there is a class of beings that fall into a category that could be called Faerie. I use the word 'class' in its taxonomic sense, for there are then orders, families and geni (plural of genus?) that follow.

Close, it's genera.

There is also the human faerie bloodline. Princess Diana being and example of it. If it is true.:p

I had never heard of this! My father had always wanted to give his firstborn my name because he said the family myth was that we were descendants of elves. He only got his way because his friend happened to have a son by the same name (or rather, the usual spelling of it) and my mother relented because of that. She knew the stories too of course, but it had never quite captured her spirit the way it captured his. I'd never heard of anything like a fairy bloodline outside my family before, but it is frequently talked about in my family. I've always thought of it as a one of the many quaint quirks of my more than sufficiently quirky family and for all I liked the idea I've never had a reason to look into it as anything meaningful. I mentioned it to 777 once because he has frequently expressed a deep affinity with the fae.

Wolf Khan
27th December 2013, 22:24
In our experience there are groups of Shee People who live as they choose and these are what make up the Faeries and all associated clans of these beings, Cearna has initiated a Gnome who asked to be initiated. He stood roughly 6 to 7 centimeters in height and had a truly bright aura which hid his features. I have seen faeiries that are tiny say 4 centimeters in height and so the wonder goes on. As in their natural caution of humans they know if on has dark intent and will steer clear of those, however, for people who have only true love in their hearts,these will always have a ready welcome with the Shee, (Gaoithe (Geethee) Shee) Gaelic, Celtic.

modwiz
27th December 2013, 22:34
Close, it's genera.

I had never heard of this! My father had always wanted to give his firstborn my name because he said the family myth was that we were descendants of elves. He only got his way because his friend happened to have a son by the same name (or rather, the usual spelling of it) and my mother relented because of that. She knew the stories too of course, but it had never quite captured her spirit the way it captured his. I'd never heard of anything like a fairy bloodline outside my family before, but it is frequently talked about in my family. I've always thought of it as a one of the many quaint quirks of my more than sufficiently quirky family and for all I liked the idea I've never had a reason to look into it as anything meaningful. I mentioned it to 777 once because he has frequently expressed a deep affinity with the fae.

I knew you would come through. I knew that word but it did not come when I wanted it so I got creative with a Latin plural suffix.

The Faerie bloodline I am referring to is the one Laurence Gardener speaks about in his books. I think they have their origin from the Scythian/Scota line.

modwiz
27th December 2013, 22:34
In our experience there are groups of Shee People who live as they choose and these are what make up the Faeries and all assciated clans of these beings, Cearna has initiated a Gnome who asked to be initiated. He stood roughly 6 to 7 centimeters in height and had a truly bright aura which hid his features. I have seen faeiries that are tiny say 4 centimeters in height and so the wonder goes on. As in their natural caution of humans they know if on has dark intent and will steer clear of those, however, for people who have only true love in their hearts,these will always have a ready welcome with the Shee, (Gaoithe (Geethee) Shee) Gaelic, Celtic.

For clarity. I do not wish to create confusion or conflation with the faerie term. Which is why I referenced a "human" faerie bloodline. I was not inferring, or poorly communicating, that humans and the non-human faerie had somehow mixed. I would hope not to be taken seriously if suggesting such an idea.

BabaRa
28th December 2013, 00:45
Some years ago, I was sitting on my deck (quite rural) enjoying the scenery when I felt there was a hummingbird behind me, yet I sensed if I turned it would fly away.

I thought: I wish it would come in front of me so I could see it. And to my amazement if flew right in front of me, just a foot from my face and just stayed there for a minute, flapping it's wings but remaining still.

Since then, I have always thought of hummingbirds as fairies.

As for trees, my dad loved them with a passion. He called them all his little darlings. Said they were a reminder for us to keep our roots deep in the earth, yet to reach for the heavens. I have inherited that love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8neVhLm196I

KosmicKat
28th December 2013, 01:05
As someone who works with wood, I have learned a few lessons over the years:

When you strip the bark from a newly fallen (or cut, but not by my hand if I can possibly help it) limb, you see why we call tree branches limbs; the resemblance is uncanny!
If at all possible don't throw a piece of "scrap" wood away. You can always find some use for it. And burn it only as a last resort when you need the warmth.
Wood makes music. Electronics can make music, but to me, it is often lifeless compared with a "live" wooden instrument.

Wolf Khan
28th December 2013, 01:08
For clarity. I do not wish to create confusion or conflation with the faerie term. Which is why I referenced a "human" faerie bloodline. I was not inferring, or poorly communicating, that humans and the non-human faerie had somehow mixed. I would hope not to be taken seriously if suggesting such an idea.

Its fine, modwiz, I didn't write the comment with what you were saying in mind, it may have seemed like it, however, I was sharing an experience we have had with the genre.

Wolf Khan
28th December 2013, 01:14
Some years ago, I was sitting on my deck (quite rural) enjoying the scenery when I felt there was a hummingbird behind me, yet I sensed if I turned it would fly away.

I thought: I wish it would come in front of me so I could see it. And to my amazement if flew right in front of me, just a foot from my face and just stayed there for a minute, flapping it's wings but remaining still.

Since then, I have always thought of hummingbirds as fairies.

As for trees, my dad loved them with a passion. He called them all his little darlings. Said they were a reminder for us to keep our roots deep in the earth, yet to reach for the heavens. I have inherited that love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8neVhLm196I

We should all love the many life-forms we share this world with. Doing so reveals our loving natures, and not that which causes pain. True love is a clear reality, strong when needed, soft when need calls for it. Loving is so deliberately misconstrued here on this planet. In doing so we miss so much of the pure magic of living.

mojo
28th December 2013, 01:52
interesting a book on amazon is now (2 Used from $1,880.34) for hardcover edition entitled, American Elves: An Encyclopedia of Little People from the Lore of 380 Ethnic Groups of the Western Hemisphere

more than 3000 supernatural "little people," spirits found in 380 cultures within 49 linguistic divisions in the Western Hemisphere. This material was originally gleaned from a vast archive published over the past centuries by government agencies, anthropology museums, university research centers, scholarly professions, and other learned bodies throughout the Americas. Arranged within geographical, cultural, and linguistic boundaries, Roth's brief discussion attempts to clarify the multiple and conflicting nomenclature of Native groups. Longer articles briefly discuss social organization (tribal hierarchy), presence (elf, dwarf, pygmy, shape-shifter), power (magic, spiritual), habitat (location preferences), and beliefs. Each major entry is followed by brief bibliographical references, with a 120-page bibliography at the end. Alas, the thorough body of anthropological, ethnic, and linguistic information implied by the title is, regrettably, not realized. With the exception of a few passing references to European American and African American cultures, the coverage is largely limited to Indian settlements and languages. The information provided appears dated and allows only a marginal glimpse at the ethnic and linguistic topics covered. The confusing arrangement and absence of an index assures that a search for specific information can be a many-step process. The lack of standard organization and the coverage flaws noted render this encyclopedia unsuitable for general reference usage

shamanseeker
28th December 2013, 09:26
I haven't had time to read all but will. I was in a remote part on the mountain recently and saw a light figure jump behind a bush but couldn't see it like Tribe - probably because I'm not pure enough but you were a child and were able to see it.

Modwiz, do you mean humans who were faeries in another reincarnation because Spenser in the Faerie Queene speaks of the Faerie Queene as women of the royal bloodline (which Diana was too) but not very nice beings at all, usually?

Spiral
28th December 2013, 10:30
interesting a book on amazon is now (2 Used from $1,880.34) for hardcover edition entitled, American Elves: An Encyclopedia of Little People from the Lore of 380 Ethnic Groups of the Western Hemisphere

If you look around it is available for less than $ 70 & it's also in some libraries.

Spiral
28th December 2013, 12:10
Reflecting on what has been written on this thread has brought an incident to mind that I will have to meditate on.

Twenty odd years ago I was on the bus going to work (dull 9 to 5 at the local council) and the bus was stopped at at bus stop to let some people on, I was sat on the top deck & turned my head to look to my left for no reason I was aware of.

Just behind the 6 foot high stone wall that runs along that side of the road is a strip of woodland that borders some farmers fields, and there right where my eyes had fixed was a small human like creature not more than one & a half feet tall dressed just like a garden gnome stood next to a sycamore tree !

At the time I was teetotal & not on medication of any kind, I couldn't believe my eyes ! Immediately the bus set off but I know what I saw, seeing something like that on a mundane work day was a shock.

The following day I looked out for the little chap, but to my shock the very tree he had been stood next to had been cut down, just that one, none of the others.

Shortly after this my health collapsed, and a voyage of discovery started without me realising it.

Calabash
28th December 2013, 12:15

She is still hugely missed and has left a great big unfillable hole . . . .