PDA

View Full Version : Scientists create new robotic Terminator-style muscle 1,000 times stronger than human

skywizard
27th December 2013, 15:36
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/human-robot-competition-Shutterstock.jpg

Researchers have developed a tiny robotic muscle that’s 1,000 time stronger than a human muscle.

The team of researchers at the University of California-Berkeley found that vanadium dioxide changes from an insulator to a conductive metal at about 152 degrees, which produced a huge amount of strength during the transition.

The scientists used the material to demonstrate a microchip-sized, twisting robotic motor that could catapult objects 50 times heavier than itself over a distance five times longer than itself faster than the blink of an eye – within 60 milliseconds.

The team fabricated the micro-muscle from a long V-shaped ribbon made of chromium and vanadium dioxide, which is already prized for its ability to change size, shape and physical identity, and heated it with a tiny pad or by electrical current.

When the dual coil formed by the ribbon is heated, said physicist Junqiao Wu, who led the team, it turns into either a tiny catapult or a proximity sensor, which causes a rapid change in the muscle’s resistance and shape that pushes away nearby objects.

“Multiple micro-muscles can be assembled into a micro-robotic system that simulates an active neuromuscular system,” Wu said. “The naturally combined functions of proximity sensing and torsional motion allow the device to remotely detect a target and respond by reconfiguring itself to a different shape. This simulates living bodies where neurons sense and deliver stimuli to the muscles and the muscles provide motion.”

The team found the micro-muscles could twist and turn more than 1 million times without degradation, and they showed far greater movement abilities than current robotic motors.

Vanadium dioxide can also absorb light and convert it to heat, which will allow the micro-muscle to be triggered optothermally.

The technology could eventually be used to build a complex organism that simulates an active neuromuscular system, perhaps in prosthetic limbs or surgical procedures.

“With its combination of power and multi-functionality, our micro-muscle shows great potential for applications that require a high level of functionality integration in a small space,” Wu said.

Source: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/12/26/scientists-create-new-robotic-terminator-style-muscle-1000-times-stronger-than-humans/

peace...
skywizard

Tribe
27th December 2013, 17:52
Oh I could do with this , do you think they could do transplants , my muscles are non existent these days !! I wonder ? X

Seikou-Kishi
27th December 2013, 18:12
This reminds me of that scene in Matilda when Mrs Trunchbull is throwing chocolates down her throat and turns to matilda with chocolate all over her yellowed teeth and says "Much too good for children!"

It's endearing, Tribe, that your first thought is that this development might be used to benefit people. Real, human people. The corporate and military uses are more than likely the only uses that will be given oxygen. Probably a hefty lump of public money, too. It's not for you, but by all means pay for it.

modwiz
27th December 2013, 20:06
Oh I could do with this , do you think they could do transplants , my muscles are non existent these days !! I wonder ? X

I lost 36 pounds in about four months owing to a health challenge this past Summer. Most of it muscle. Time to get on the weight machine for me. My poor butt has flattened out.:cry:

The health issue was emotionally based and once I got a grip on it improvement began literally overnight. 50% better in 12 hours. No backsliding either. Losing my body fat also allowed any accumulated toxins to be flushed out as most toxins are fat soluble and "live" in fatty deposits.

Getting rid of the "nasties" improved my moods considerably. Vanity aside, I feel better than I have in quite some time. I have a theory about the incoming energies and their impact on certain kinds of people. I'll share at another time. Probably another thread.

modwiz
27th December 2013, 20:15
Given who will take charge of these developments, in the current situation, this is not anything to look forward to. Spiritual growth is needed. Not more powerful bodies. Power, any form of it, is currently always abused by those who wish to lord over others. If the immune system of the populations ever kicks in, we can rid our collective body of the viruses and parasites we host.

Tribe
27th December 2013, 20:15
I'd very much like to hear about your theory's modwiz . And look forward to that thread :) x

modwiz
27th December 2013, 20:47
I'd very much like to hear about your theory's modwiz . And look forward to that thread :) x

Let me pull my ideas together and I will pop something about the incoming energies into this thread. Once I start a thread there is a certain commitment towards its maintenance, so a new thread is something to avoid at this moment.

I am very judicious about commitments I make. It conserves energy.

KosmicKat
28th December 2013, 01:14
... Spiritual growth is needed. Not more powerful bodies. ...

This! And technology which can be an aid, or a distraction.