PDA

View Full Version : Ocean acidification and the role of coral

Dreamtimer
12th May 2022, 13:49
This is depressing but there is hope, hopefully...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY3xmD7nQXM

Wind
12th May 2022, 14:32
It's not available here.

Aragorn
12th May 2022, 20:53
It's not available here.

Nor here. :noidea:

Emil El Zapato
12th May 2022, 21:23
Nor here. :noidea:

feriners ... I can see it ... :)

Dreamtimer
15th May 2022, 12:33
Well that's a bummer. I'll try to summarize some points or perhaps find another source.

The bottom line is concern over ocean acidification, which most folks seem to be ignorant about, and the search for corals which can tolerate a more acidic environment.

As with wetlands, when we lose corals, we lose beaches, land and experience vastly more storm damage.

I sometimes find myself wondering what the end game is for those who know but ignore? Do they not have families they leave this earth to? Do they think they can magically find a safe spot? Do they want to see most people die so there is 'more for them'?

It's vastly stupid in any case, the short-sightedness and denial. And stupid does hurt. Even those who think they're safe.

Aragorn
15th May 2022, 14:59
I sometimes find myself wondering what the end game is for those who know but ignore? Do they not have families they leave this earth to? Do they think they can magically find a safe spot? Do they want to see most people die so there is 'more for them'?

It's vastly stupid in any case, the short-sightedness and denial. And stupid does hurt. Even those who think they're safe.

The French have a saying for that: "Après nous le déluge" — the Great Flood will come after us.

It basically means that whatever shit is going to come out of your irresponsible actions, it'll come after you're already gone, and it is for others to deal with.

Selfishness, irresponsibility and shortsightedness are the hallmarks of the psychopath's role in society.

Dreamtimer
16th May 2022, 13:00
The scientists were interesting characters in this piece. One was clearly concerned about the direction the climate is headed in, fearing it's too late and feeling the tragedy of species already lost. One was just all about the science and didn't think scientists should be activists.

But he could lose his platform for doing the science he loves if things get really bad. He might end up doing a kind of science he didn't sign up for. Something related to remediating devastating effects/events. Not studying and finding new life. Watching it disappear instead.

We lose treasure that we haven't taken measure of. We're smart enough to know this. But collectively short-sighted.