PDA

View Full Version : Tarbosaurus, the Mightiest Ever

Aragorn
5th February 2022, 07:37
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ro-Qyatyhk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oG_n1zggOA

Emil El Zapato
5th February 2022, 17:35
what an unhappy ending ... it wasn't a spoiler though ...

Aragorn
6th February 2022, 07:54
Well, I do have to say that I think the producers made the behavior of the dinosaurs too anthropomorphic. For instance, the playfulness of the little Patch and his siblings, and then the scene where his mother sends him away. They were too emotional and humanoid.

You have to keep in mind that, even though people generally ascribe the wrong personality traits to reptilians, the dinosaurs were reptilians, and they were most likely far more driven by instinct than by complex emotions as you would find in mammals.

But that all said, documentaries like these, with fairly good CGI graphics ─ not quite at the level of Hollywood productions such as "Jurassic Park" et al, but still ─ are of course always spectacular to watch, and very interesting from the vantage of paleontology. ;)

Emil El Zapato
6th February 2022, 10:52
Well, I do have to say that I think the producers made the behavior of the dinosaurs too anthropomorphic. For instance, the playfulness of the little Patch and his siblings, and then the scene where his mother sends him away. They were too emotional and humanoid.

You have to keep in mind that, even though people generally ascribe the wrong personality traits to reptilians, the dinosaurs were reptilians, and they were most likely far more driven by instinct than by complex emotions as you would find in mammals.

But that all said, documentaries like these, with fairly good CGI graphics ─ not quite at the level of Hollywood productions such as "Jurassic Park" et al, but still ─ are of course always spectacular to watch, and very interesting from the vantage of paleontology. ;)

Actually, I was thinking that a true child's version would have included tears ... :(

Aragorn
6th February 2022, 12:03
Actually, I was thinking that a true child's version would have included tears ... :(

They came close enough to that. Patch was almost crying when his mother sent him away, and then he looked back one more time. A dog would do that. A cat would too. So would a bear or an elephant. But can you imagine a crocodile doing it? (And just for the record, crocodiles do tend to their young, with great care even.)

Dreamtimer
6th February 2022, 12:07
Alligators, maybe. Crocs? No way.

Emil El Zapato
6th February 2022, 12:08
They came close enough to that. Patch was almost crying when his mother sent him away, and then he looked back one more time. A dog would do that. A cat would too. So would a bear or an elephant. But can you imagine a crocodile doing it? (And just for the record, crocodiles do tend to their young, with great care even.)

Metaphorically thinking ... maybe ... :) No, not really but how brutal that existence must have been. It's like not really being alive. More like living in a netherworld without thought only a brutal instinct to feed and mate. Hey, that sounds rather like our experience.

Dreamtimer
6th February 2022, 12:10
It is our experience. Except that now, thanks to those who came before us, we actually have time to do more than survive.

And what do we spend our time with? That's the 10 million year question.