PDA

View Full Version : Flooding in Germany, Luxembourg, Belgium. Climate chaos everywhere

Octopus Garden
15th July 2021, 23:59
Terrible flooding in Europe, a 100 year flood. A couple of weeks ago we had 121 degrees F in a town in B.C. Lytton. It burnt down, the whole town. I suspect a barbecue mishap. Still, it burned down in record time at record temperatures for Canada.

Hundreds dead on the Coast in the Pacific Northwest, from the heat. We are surrounded by ocean, where I am, so temps didn't climb above 105 degrees F. It was like this for a few days. This is entirely abnormal for this area. Lots and lots of forest fires in the interior of the province.

Another heat dome expected this weekend for the interior and coastal and interior regions of Oregon, Northern California.

It's scary. What are you seeing in your neck of the woods?:blink:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/over-60-dead-dozens-missing-as-severe-floods-strike-europe-1.5509912

Emil El Zapato
16th July 2021, 00:05
Terrible flooding in Europe, a 100 year flood. A couple of weeks ago we had 121 degrees F in a town in B.C. Lytton. It burnt down, the whole town. I suspect a barbecue mishap. Still, it burned down in record time at record temperatures for Canada.

Hundreds dead on the Coast in the Pacific Northwest, from the heat. We are surrounded by ocean, where I am, so temps didn't climb above 105 degrees F. It was like this for a few days. This is entirely abnormal for this area. Lots and lots of forest fires in the interior of the province.

Another heat dome expected this weekend for the interior and coastal and interior regions of Oregon, Northern California.

It's scary. What are you seeing in your neck of the woods?:blink:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/over-60-dead-dozens-missing-as-severe-floods-strike-europe-1.5509912

In Houston Texas we get an 900-year rain about every 20 years.

Aragorn
16th July 2021, 03:48
In Belgium, just about every province is dealing with severe flooding right now, all except the West Flanders and East Flanders provinces ─ I'm in East Flanders. Several people have died and several others are still missing. The Netherlands and Germany are also getting hit hard, with equal if not greater amounts of casualties. Things are supposed to settle down in the coming weekend, but it's going to take a very long time to clean up the mess. Many people have lost their homes.

It's quite surreal for this country. There have been floods before, and especially in the Netherlands, but that was because of dike breaches ─ most of the Netherlands lies below sea level. But I don't think Belgium has ever had such severe flooding before. :hmm:

Octopus Garden
16th July 2021, 04:02
Aragorn, I am so relieved you are okay, even if your country is taking a battering. God Almighty!

Wind
16th July 2021, 16:05
I was going to write about this, weird things happening all over the world now! Canada is getting wildfires and Belgium and it's neighbour countries flooding. It's been unusually hot here in Finland for the past month! Only next week we might get some relief finally.

Octopus Garden
16th July 2021, 21:15
Wind, I hope the temps moderate in Finland. Forest fires are my main concern here. The weather here has flipped to quite cool right now, but still dry as a bone. I am starting to love cloudy days if there is even a chance of rain. Nothing for 5 weeks.

For Canada, the fire activity means that insurance companies will likely not insure houses that are out in the boondocks in heavily forested land. It's one of the reasons I moved right into town and into a townhouse from my old place that was in the same general area but located in the worst possible place if a fire broke out. That was a couple of years ago. I used to wake up to the smell of smoke in the summer and sometimes be unable to gauge whether it was coming from Washington state or Vancouver island, or down the street. Talk about panic attacks!

Fire suppression has contributed in a huge way to the problems we are seeing here too. Like, let it burn, for God's sakes. If houses burn down, build elsewhere with the insurance money.

Dreamtimer
16th July 2021, 22:02
I'm so glad you're safe from the fires, Octopus Garden. It's just awful. I have family in California and Arizona and they're feeling the drought and fire risks for sure.

And I'm very glad to hear you're safe, Aragorn. I heard that the gulf stream is doing weird things which contributed to the weather system getting stuck over Germany and Belgium rather than moving off as normal.

Near us (a handful of years ago), Ellicott City was brutally flooded with two so-called 500 years floods, within the space of less than a year. The repairs and upgrades just weren't complete when the second one came. Many folks couldn't re-open. It was just too much.

Where we live we're near a river which has the effect of breaking weather up, sometimes, as it comes across the valley. We escaped a tornado that way several years back.

I've just been reading about the moon wobble entering the stage where it has more extreme effects on tides. Just in time for the crazy weather being produced by climate change. And the sun's waking up too.

Oh joy.

:flame:

Aragorn
17th July 2021, 02:55
It's been unusually hot here in Finland for the past month! Only next week we might get some relief finally.

Over here it's relatively cold for summer. Believe it or not, but my central heating has been coming on several times already in the past three weeks ─ sometimes multiple times a day, even. That's not normal for July. Normally it only starts firing up again around late August or early September. :belief:

Wind
17th July 2021, 12:30
Over here it's relatively cold for summer. Believe it or not, but my central heating has been coming on several times already in the past three weeks ─ sometimes multiple times a day, even. That's not normal for July. Normally it only starts firing up again around late August or early September. :belief:

Here in Finland we have been used to cooler and milder summers, especially in the past few years, it was a bit different in my childhood decades ago. Sometimes there are brief heatwaves for sure, but usually rains come sooner or later with the cooler weather. Heat doesn't last here for months even though June, July and August are considered summer months, it can be warm during those months and also during May and September, but usually September is often cool and rainy. However, this year has been record-breaking when it comes to the heat, this wave started in mid June and it has been continuing until now every day, it has been close to +30 C or more, for most Finns that's too much, people start to consider it heat here when temperatures rise above +25 C and then many will start to complain, especially considering that in this country it's not common to have proper air-conditioners in flats, so inside it's +30 C if not more and no air is moving. It will only briefly get "cooler" next week, meaning it will only be above +22 C and then the temperatures will rise again.

Emil El Zapato
17th July 2021, 13:46
I'm so glad you're safe from the fires, Octopus Garden. It's just awful. I have family in California and Arizona and they're feeling the drought and fire risks for sure.

And I'm very glad to hear you're safe, Aragorn. I heard that the gulf stream is doing weird things which contributed to the weather system getting stuck over Germany and Belgium rather than moving off as normal.

Near us (a handful of years ago), Ellicott City was brutally flooded with two so-called 500 years floods, within the space of less than a year. The repairs and upgrades just weren't complete when the second one came. Many folks couldn't re-open. It was just too much.

Where we live we're near a river which has the effect of breaking weather up, sometimes, as it comes across the valley. We escaped a tornado that way several years back.

I've just been reading about the moon wobble entering the stage where it has more extreme effects on tides. Just in time for the crazy weather being produced by climate change. And the sun's waking up too.

Oh joy.

Hi DT,

I think tornado saving impediments like rivers, hills, etc are a bit of a myth. Some years ago in the span of a few years, nature did its myth-busting thing to Kansas.

Dreamtimer
17th July 2021, 13:52
Wishful thinking, eh? The tornado could have just peter'd out at the right time. But the overall pattern is evident after 20 years here. Systems or storms will often spread and split around us.

Perhaps it's our invisible shield of invulnerability. ;)

Octopus Garden
17th July 2021, 22:20

Oh joy.

Wow, Dreamtimer. I am so glad you're protected from tornadoes where you are currently living! I spent a lot of time reading about all of the flooding in the Nebraska area a while back. Is that near Elliot city? There was a lot of concern about their crops, obviously. Now, out West, our entire bread basket is under threat, Canada and U.S.
Have been following the sun and moon wobble too. Darn....it is going to be an action packed decade, hopefully not century, millenia...but I am not too hopeful.

It kind of makes you wonder if buying a home anywhere makes any sense and if it might make more sense to buy something you can travel around in, like a big RV, where you can escape the climate chaos region by region--assuming there are roads. Maybe horses and a covered wagon would work better. Or huskies pulling a sled, or something? I don't know....

Dreamtimer, if you do see a tornado coming, click your heels three times and say, "there's no place like home." Or is that to get back from Oz? I forget!

Silly Wabbit
20th July 2021, 03:20
I live in Northern California, USA, and we are smack dab in the middle of a heat wave, and drought this year. And it is fire season. (I do not live ar away from the Paradise area that recently burned)... The water table is low, and we are being asked to conserve water after years of excess. The heat is brutal for people like me with a heat intolerance.

I do wish they would let the folks clean the forest floors when needed, and let some natural fires burn, so it takes away all the underbrush which is really driving the fires when they do come. Poor land management essentially. And the insurance companies are being overly drastic, when it comes to insurance in these areas. They will threaten you for each renewal, for things that have zero to do with fire hazards, just to limit their risk in fire areas.

For example, you could live in a pocket that is relatively safe as far as fire danger but have an area near you that was hit hard by fire, so they will single out the area, and if they cannot claim there is fire risk, they will look for other reasons to threaten to cancel your policy. An extra vehicle in the driveway, lawn furniture in your backyard. etc...

It is really ridiculous honestly. These companies are not there to help you but to enrich their own investors, so when they have to actually pay out, they cancel to protect the profits. Sad really. I am still insured, own the home, and try to keep them happy, but they are beginning to pick and choose things they really should have no control over when it comes to your property. The fact that people have lawn furniture, or need to repaint a board "For looks" are the types of reasons they're claiming now to cancel long standing accounts. It sounds more like a homeowners association these days than an insurance business... profits, THAT is why they're in business. They're so afraid of fires wiping them out, regardless of what is to blame, a power company fault, or just mother nature that they're just blanket eliminating options to homeowners, for any reason they can think of.

I hope all is well everywhere else! It's definitely a wild ride these days

Aianawa
20th July 2021, 07:31
Thank gosh there be nothing happening behind the scenes and weather wars or anything like that lol.

Nasty stuff world wide atm, we got storms and floods etc as well.

Dreamtimer
26th July 2021, 11:43
Typhoon InFa is expected to drop 31 in of rain in Shanghai and other cites of China.

https://twitter.com/VortixWx/status/1419133818854952961

https://twitter.com/ScottDuncanWX/status/1418888781562892289

Aragorn
26th July 2021, 12:46
In Belgium, the coast line has been hit hard this morning. In the city of Nieuwpoort there was over 60 liters of rainfall in just one hour. Lots of flooded streets, and a few flooded basements too. And during the weekend, it was the south-east that was getting hit hard again. I saw a video on the website of a Belgian newspaper in which you can see a wet street being transformed into a knee-deep mud stream in just over one minute ─ literally, just over one minute. It appeared to be coming out of the sewer system, and as the street was on an incline, you can see it coming from around the bend, first on one side of the road and then spreading to cover the whole width of the street, and rushing down the incline as if you're standing by a muddy river that's headed for a waterfall. It was surreal.

Over here in town there was a pretty rough shower on Saturday ─ it was hitting my window panes and my balcony very hard ─ and the sky went very, very dark, but it was all over and done again in only about 20 minutes. Right now I can hear thunder again in the distance, but it's very transient. The sky will suddenly go dark, and then within minutes, the sun breaks through again. The storm clouds are moving very fast, and they're headed west, toward the sea.

Last year, we had a heatwave with an absolute record-breaking registered peak temperature of 41.9°C over here. But this July, the temperatures have been so low that my central heating actually came on a couple of times. Normally it wouldn't do that between the beginning of June and the end of August, or even the beginning of September.

It's all fucked up, and no climate change agreements are going to stop it. Even if all industrial activity were to stop right now, then it still won't make a difference. The corona pandemic with all of its lockdowns has proven that. The only thing that actually got better was the quality of the air in the cities. But we've already passed the point of no return.

Of course, what could be done, is that the authorities would be putting in the effort to minimize any damage by future flooding, future violent storms and future droughts. You know, like improving the sewer systems, deepening and/or widening problematic waterways, or creating emergency water reservoirs for when there is drought. But they won't, because (1) they still don't have the wisdom to correctly assess and anticipate any threats, and (2) it supposedly costs too much money to do all of those things, and the financial-economic society model is sacred and untouchable.

Limiting or even taking away people's freedom is okay, as is instigating discrimination ─ e.g. of those who haven't been vaccinated against Covid-19. But Earth will have already long been burned to a crisp by the expansion of the sun before they'll ever consider putting financial-economical interests beside them.

And the lobby groups will see to that, too. We've seen it when the pandemic first hit us in the (northern) spring of 2020. Everything went in lockdown, and everybody was so sympathetic, and so in agreement that it was absolutely necessary. Such unity, such benevolence all around, and such harmony. For about two weeks, and then the hypocrisy revealed itself, when the complaints started coming in about the lockdown taking too long and small businesses going bankrupt. And you know what? I was already expecting things to turn around that way ─ from day one. If it seems too good to be true, then it usually is. Humans are so transparent.

There are times when the authorities have to have a spine and put their foot down, just as there are times when the authorities should step back and stay out of people's way. And in Belgium, that's exactly what the authorities do, but they do it ass-backwards; they only have a spine and put their foot down when there's nothing threatening them, so that they can take away people's freedom and make life more difficult for everyone with the least amount of resistance. Just like in the middle ages. But when they should have a spine and put down their foot, then they will cower and cave in under the pressure from the lobbyists. And they need the lobbyists, because no one in a position of power over here has the wisdom to occupy said position.

Oh well, nothing I say is going to make any difference anyway. It's just another pointless rant. :unsure:

Dreamtimer
26th July 2021, 13:27
It's an appreciated rant, Aragorn. And sometimes a person just needs to rant.

Dreamtimer
30th July 2021, 13:49
Fires in Siberia.

https://twitter.com/siberian_times/status/1420765904334323721

I can't see the video here, but you can if you go to the tweet itself.

Dreamtimer
30th July 2021, 16:30
Arizona is now getting its monsoon rain. There's flooding in Tucson. That happens because the rain washes over the hard desert ground. It doesn't soak. Sabino canyon is amazing right now. I've seen lightening strike over Tucson but not this dramatically.

https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/tucson.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/f/d0/fd07f96c-f0f2-11eb-81a4-d3ba633fed9b/6103874e472b6.image.jpg?resize=1700%2C884

Aragorn
30th July 2021, 17:04
Arizona is now getting its monsoon rain. There's flooding in Tucson. That happens because the rain washes over the hard desert ground. It doesn't soak. Sabino canyon is amazing right now. I've seen lightening strike over Tucson but not this dramatically.

https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/tucson.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/f/d0/fd07f96c-f0f2-11eb-81a4-d3ba633fed9b/6103874e472b6.image.jpg?resize=1700%2C884

It's quite spectacular. :)

Over on Usenet, there's a guy from Arizona who explained a few years ago that it gets so hot over there in summer that it rains without that you're getting wet, because the heat causes the rain to evaporate again before it has a chance to hit the ground. Quite bizarre! :belief:

Dreamtimer
30th July 2021, 20:36
This is just amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pljl0DcwTHM&t=453s

Dreamtimer
30th July 2021, 20:50
I'm gonna post this one too because there's a snow rainbow at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWIZcdYDxOo

(look at the face on the left in the thumbnail)

Dreamtimer
31st July 2021, 10:41
I've mentioned viruses being released from melting ice. They're there for sure.

15,000-year-old viruses discovered in Tibetan glacier ice

Scientists who study glacier ice have found viruses nearly 15,000 years old in two ice samples taken from the Tibetan Plateau in China. Most of those viruses, which survived because they had remained frozen, are unlike any viruses that have been cataloged to date.

The findings, published today in the journal Microbiome, could help scientists understand how viruses have evolved over centuries. For this study, the scientists also created a new, ultra-clean method of analyzing microbes and viruses in ice without contaminating it.

When they analyzed the ice, they found genetic codes for 33 viruses. Four of those viruses have already been identified by the scientific community. But at least 28 of them are novel. About half of them seemed to have survived at the time they were frozen not in spite of the ice, but because of it.

The study of viruses in glaciers is relatively new: Just two previous studies have identified viruses in ancient glacier ice. But it is an area of science that is becoming more important as the climate changes, said Lonnie Thompson, senior author of the study, distinguished university professor of earth sciences at Ohio State and senior research scientist at the Byrd Center.

From Ohio State University (https://news.osu.edu/15000-year-old-viruses-discovered-in-tibetan-glacier-ice/)

Wind
1st August 2021, 12:53
You might want to see this thread (https://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?115847-High-chance-of-more-extreme-floods-coming-to-Europe-in-2022) on Avalon about the possible future floods in Europe. :(

Aragorn
1st August 2021, 13:04
You might want to see this thread (https://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?115847-High-chance-of-more-extreme-floods-coming-to-Europe-in-2022) on Avalon about the possible future floods in Europe. :(

And as was to be expected ─ although I naively wasn't, actually ─ the thread quickly got derailed onto the subjects of climate change denialism and Illuminati-related conspiracy theories... :facepalm:

Wind
1st August 2021, 13:07
Well, that comes with the territory.

Dreamtimer
3rd August 2021, 13:07
This is not what it seems at first glance. It reflects a slow motion catastrophe. I had a couple double takes at first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57Tzu7cAxeo&t=145s

Aragorn
6th August 2021, 18:35
Source: The Guardian (https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/aug/05/climate-crisis-scientists-spot-warning-signs-of-gulf-stream-collapse)

Climate crisis: Scientists spot warning signs of Gulf Stream collapse

A shutdown would have devastating global impacts and must not be allowed to happen, researchers say

https://scijinks.gov/review/gulf-stream/gulf-stream1.jpg

Climate scientists have detected warning signs of the collapse of the Gulf Stream, one of the planet’s main potential tipping points.

The research found “an almost complete loss of stability over the last century” of the currents that researchers call the Atlantic meridional overturning circulation (AMOC). The currents are already at their slowest point in at least 1,600 years, (https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/apr/11/critical-gulf-stream-current-weakest-for-1600-years-research-finds) but the new analysis shows they may be nearing a shutdown.

Such an event would have catastrophic consequences around the world, severely disrupting the rains that billions of people depend on for food in India, South America and West Africa; increasing storms and lowering temperatures in Europe; and pushing up the sea level off eastern North America. It would also further endanger the Amazon rainforest and Antarctic ice sheets.

The complexity of the AMOC system and uncertainty over levels of future global heating make it impossible to forecast the date of any collapse for now. It could be within a decade or two, or several centuries away. But the colossal impact it would have means it must never be allowed to happen, the scientists said.

“The signs of destabilisation being visible already is something that I wouldn’t have expected and that I find scary,” said Niklas Boers, from the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research in Germany, who did the research. “It’s something you just can’t [allow to] happen.”

It is not known what level of CO2 would trigger an AMOC collapse, he said. “So the only thing to do is keep emissions as low as possible. The likelihood of this extremely high-impact event happening increases with every gram of CO2 that we put into the atmosphere”.

Scientists are increasingly concerned about tipping points – large, fast and irreversible changes to the climate. Boers and his colleagues reported in May that a significant part of the Greenland ice sheet is on the brink (https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/may/17/greenland-ice-sheet-on-brink-of-major-tipping-point-says-study), threatening a big rise in global sea level. Others have shown recently that the Amazon rainforest is now emitting more CO2 than it absorbs, and that the 2020 Siberian heatwave led to worrying releases of methane (https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/aug/02/climate-crisis-siberian-heatwave-led-to-new-methane-emissions-study-says).

The world may already have crossed a series of tipping points (https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/nov/27/climate-emergency-world-may-have-crossed-tipping-points), according to a 2019 analysis, resulting in “an existential threat to civilisation”. A major report from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, due on Monday, is expected to set out the worsening state of the climate crisis.

Boer’s research, published in the journal Nature Climate Change, is titled “Observation-based early-warning signals for a collapse of the AMOC (https://www.nature.com/articles/s41558-021-01097-4)”. Ice-core and other data from the last 100,000 years show the AMOC has two states: a fast, strong one, as seen over recent millennia, and a slow, weak one. The data shows rising temperatures can make the AMOC switch abruptly between states over one to five decades.

The AMOC is driven by dense, salty seawater sinking into the Arctic ocean, but the melting of freshwater from Greenland’s ice sheet is slowing the process down earlier than climate models suggested.

Boers used the analogy of a chair to explain how changes in ocean temperature and salinity can reveal the AMOC’s instability. Pushing a chair alters its position, but does not affect its stability if all four legs remain on the floor. Tilting the chair changes both its position and stability.

Eight independently measured datasets of temperature and salinity going back as far as 150 years enabled Boers to show that global heating is indeed increasing the instability of the currents, not just changing their flow pattern.

The analysis concluded: “This decline [of the AMOC in recent decades] may be associated with an almost complete loss of stability over the course of the last century, and the AMOC could be close to a critical transition to its weak circulation mode.”

Levke Caesar, at Maynooth University in Ireland, who was not involved in the research, said: “The study method cannot give us an exact timing of a possible collapse, but the analysis presents evidence that the AMOC has already lost stability, which I take as a warning that we might be closer to an AMOC tipping than we think.”

David Thornalley, at University College London in the UK, whose work showed the AMOC is at its weakest point in 1,600 years, said: “These signs of decreasing stability are concerning. But we still don’t know if a collapse will occur, or how close we might be to it.”

Source: The Guardian (https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/aug/05/climate-crisis-scientists-spot-warning-signs-of-gulf-stream-collapse)

Emil El Zapato
6th August 2021, 22:28
https://scijinks.gov/review/gulf-stream/gulf-stream1.jpg[/CENTER]

When that happens, it is the end ...

Dreamtimer
9th August 2021, 14:22
People are working on it...

https://twitter.com/KHayhoe/status/1424713599470211075

Dreamtimer
30th August 2021, 18:44
Louisiana just got hammered by a very powerful hurricane Ida.

In the Gulf of Mexico, some things are adrift...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E9-5mN4WUAUE6dS?format=jpg&name=medium

Tennessee which was just hammered by floods a couple weeks ago is going to get hit by the remains of this storm. I hope folks have a safe place to go.

Dreamtimer
10th February 2022, 01:07
This is a piece telling the story of melting methane and increasingly numerous sink-holes in the arctic. Information about release of fossil methane is presented. There are numerous places where this type of methane is escaping, which is separate from the thawing permafrost which releases its own methane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvKpnaXYUPU

Aragorn
17th February 2022, 19:06
Just letting you guys know that we're all bracing ourselves over here for a big storm that's coming in tomorrow. Actually, we've already been experiencing a storm (called Dudley) over here since the past weekend, but the one that's headed our way now (called Eunice) is even more severe.

It's coming in from the North Sea at 10 or 11 on the Beaufort scale. It'll be hitting us between the afternoon tomorrow and noon on Saturday, with gushes up to 130 km/h in all of the Flemish provinces except for Limburg, where it'll still reach speeds of around 100-120 km/h. There's also a realistic chance that it'll be hitting the coastline itself at 150 km/h. It should be a dry storm, so there is no expectation of rain or flooding this time, but it is bound to wreak some serious havoc nevertheless.

We've been seeing some bad storms over here over the past two decades — including a very bad one last year — but none have been as severe as the one that's headed for us now, albeit that the worst storm I myself have ever witnessed was in the early 1990s, when the gushes reached peaks of up to 170 km/h and rain was literally flying horizontally. It was simply surreal — there is no other word.

So... if you don't see me online anymore between tomorrow and Saturday, then chances are that I've lost my internet connection — the cabling is mostly underground, but there are some above-ground junction boxes too — or possibly that there's damage to the electrical grid. Most of all, I am actually more than just a little afraid of any damage to my trusted and beloved Frankmobile, which unfortunately has to sleep outside. :(

:blink: :unsure: :priest:

Emil El Zapato
17th February 2022, 19:40
Just letting you guys know that we're all bracing ourselves over here for a big storm that's coming in tomorrow. Actually, we've already been experiencing a storm (called Dudley) over here since the past weekend, but the one that's headed our way now (called Eunice) is even more severe.

It's coming in from the North Sea at 10 or 11 on the Beaufort scale. It'll be hitting us between the afternoon tomorrow and noon on Saturday, with gushes up to 130 km/h in all of the Flemish provinces except for Limburg, where it'll still reach speeds of around 100-120 km/h. There's also a realistic chance that it'll be hitting the coastline itself at 150 km/h. It should be a dry storm, so there is no expectation of rain or flooding this time, but it is bound to wreak some serious havoc nevertheless.

We've been seeing some bad storms over here over the past two decades — including a very bad one last year — but none have been as severe as the one that's headed for us now, albeit that the worst storm I myself have ever witnessed was in the early 1990s, when the gushes reached peaks of up to 170 km/h and rain was literally flying horizontally. It was simply surreal — there is no other word.

So... if you don't see me online anymore between tomorrow and Saturday, then chances are that I've lost my internet connection — the cabling is mostly underground, but there are some above-ground junction boxes too — or possibly that there's damage to the electrical grid. Most of all, I am actually more than just a little afraid of any damage to my trusted and beloved Frankmobile, which unfortunately has to sleep outside. :(

:blink: :unsure: :priest:

Good luck, Aragorn, storms can be scary. One from the great North Sea seems scary just by tradition.

Gio
17th February 2022, 20:05
Storm causes transport chaos in Germany

DW News

Gale-force winds have swept across central Europe, wreaking havoc for commuters and killing at least four people.

Storm Ylenia hit northern Germany in the early hours of Thursday morning, with a wind speed of up to 152 kilometers per hour (almost 95 mph) recorded by the German Meteorological Service (DWD).

Germany's national rail operator Deutsche Bahn (DB) canceled long-distance trains in the states of Lower Saxony, Bremen, Hamburg, Schleswig-Holstein, Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, Berlin and Brandenburg.

Lufthansa canceled 20 flights and announced there would be delays because of bad weather. The German airline asked people to check their flight status before traveling.

Authorities recommended staying indoors and keeping a distance from buildings, scaffoldings and power lines.

In Poland, more than 500 homes were reported damaged in wind gusts measuring up to 125 kilometres per hour.

Police said two people died and two were injured after a large crane was toppled by heavy wind at a construction site in the southern city of Krakow.

In the UK, a rare "red weather" alert was issued Thursday and Friday, warning of "danger to life" from severe gusts in southwestern England and south Wales.

Feb 17, 2022

1:51 min.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N3ZHx-rTSM

Dreamtimer
19th February 2022, 12:23
I was watching videos of flooding in Rio de Janero. More than 100 dead.