PDA

View Full Version : Nag Hamadi Codices

dianna
9th November 2013, 16:35
http://historicconnections.webs.com/Proverbs%20Codex%20004-002.JPG

I am absolutely fascinated by the Nag Hamadi Scriptures and have read every one of them several times. Every time I open the book I find something new to contemplate. My mind is continuously blown by these writings -- Anyway, why I am starting this thread is to ask if anyone is well versed in the subject of Nag Hamadi, who would like to discuss it/maybe throw around some questions/really focus on the nuances and some of the lesser known writings. I know there are many experts/scholars who write their opinions, give interviews etc etc, but I would rather discuss questions with people, like myself, who like to give a personal view on what they understand the teachings to be about. Also, I find that sometimes clarity comes through casual conversation as opposed to listening/studying.

For instance, today I am trying to wrap my head around the idea of "The Four Luminaries" of the eternal realm (Harmozel, Oroiael, Daveithai and Eleleth) -- that stand before the "annointed" child in the Secret Book of John --- the qualities of the eternal realm are the gifts that the true human, from source, is given (not saying I am right, just saying, without looking up a scholarly article, that is my first impression, or how it hits me)

Also, I find when you read it from start to finish, themes start to emerge (such as non duality) and it starts to jump out at you even in the more obscure/not much discussed writings --- like a ribbon that ties this cache of writings together ---

The version I read is "The Nag Hamadi Scriptures" edited by Marvin Meyer, with preface by James Robinson (I have read Robinson's "Nag Hamadi Library, but I find the Meyer edition to be more user friendly, footnotes etc)

Also, I do not take these teachings "literally" as I am more inclined to think about them in a mythical sense (such as how someone like Joseph Campbell describes the idea of myth)

john parslow
9th November 2013, 17:58
Where can I find a pdf copy of this please Dianna and thank you for posting. JP

Just downloaded from the www. Thanks you

dianna
9th November 2013, 18:27
Where can I find a pdf copy of this please Dianna and thank you for posting. JP

Just downloaded from the www. Thanks you

Hi John,

Does this mean that you are willing to read and discuss LOL --- also, you can download most at www.gnosis.org

D

Spiral
9th November 2013, 19:16
If anyone has really read up on this subject & has a good PDF, please post it as its a difficult subject to get into due to the number of books & papers written on the subject, so something accurate & to the point would be appreciated .

If you click on "go advanced" at the bottom of the reply box a more complex reply box appears, one of the icons is for PDFs & if you click it & post the address of the PDF in the box that appears the PDF will embed in the post.

dianna
9th November 2013, 19:42
If anyone has really read up on this subject & has a good PDF, please post it as its a difficult subject to get into due to the number of books & papers written on the subject, so something accurate & to the point would be appreciated .

If you click on "go advanced" at the bottom of the reply box a more complex reply box appears, one of the icons is for PDFs & if you click it & post the address of the PDF in the box that appears the PDF will embed in the post.

Hi Spiral, will try

I am talking about the "actual texts" not what people have written about it --- give me a bit and I will see if the codices are on PDF anywhere for download in their entirety

D

dianna
9th November 2013, 19:45
OK here is link to the full texts

http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/nhlalpha.html

This is from gnosis.org --- an excellent source

dianna
9th November 2013, 19:47
Will still try and find the Marvin Meyer edition however, as it is easier to read

D

Spiral
9th November 2013, 19:54
Hi Spiral, will try

I am talking about the "actual texts" not what people have written about it --- give me a bit and I will see if the codices are on PDF anywhere for download in their entirety

D

Thanks, there are lots of theories & interpretations out there and being (very) lazy but interested would be grateful for you "cutting to the chase" so to speak, I would read someone's writings about them if it came with recommendations though, this is one of those subjects I always wanted to read up on / find out more about but never have http://www.jonrb.com/emoticons/redface3.gif

dianna
9th November 2013, 20:00
Thanks Malc, but the link is not working on my end (could just be me however)

The One
9th November 2013, 20:02
Thanks Malc, but the link is not working on my end (could just be me however)

Hi just realised that myself lol so i deleted my post

I will post this link not sure it will help but ya never know https://archive.org/details/JamesM.Robinson.......TheNagHammadiLibraryByHouseO fBooks

lookbeyond
9th November 2013, 21:02
Hi Dianna, is there a Gospel of Thomas in there somewhere, as this is next for me on my reading list,and would love to discuss, thx lb

john parslow
9th November 2013, 21:05
Hi John,

Does this mean that you are willing to read and discuss LOL --- also, you can download most at www.gnosis.org

D

Hello dianna

The answer is of course yes, when I have some time to myself to read it, thank you for bringing this to my attention. JP

P.S. Your link is working for me ...

dianna
9th November 2013, 21:20
Hi Dianna, is there a Gospel of Thomas in there somewhere, as this is next for me on my reading list,and would love to discuss, thx lb

Hi lookbeyond,

I do believe the "Gospel of Thomas" is on gnosis.org, and also probably many places as an easy download, as it is a most popular scripture from the codices, and one of the most discussed

D

Wolf Khan
10th November 2013, 10:43
To stand at rhe top of the mountain and scream out the truth ..will go unheard. The only way the truth can be realised is to live it and be it, not talking about it.Talking dissipates the energy, then, once we loose it we have to start again in finding it to **** this away is to me at least, is the singular cardinal sin ..karma is a false doctrine the only true karma is our conscience and not every one who thinks they have one has one,..no they don't, it is like earning a soul it takes billions of life times to earn it and even then you only have a third of it. The rest is earned upon your true ascension up to and into the Ultimate Creator and there is one only one, but it is so unthinkably vast, nothing can comprehend it in any, way, shape or form and because you can't see it or experience it, doesn't mean it don't exist. So call out to IT, Ask it to come into you and start changing you into your true nature, then nothing can corrupt you.

You are born of Love, made of Love, your very essense is Love. But love has a hard hand too. Use it with wisdom. Oh why do I bother trying to inspire humanity when all they do is sit there and go "yeah right"

Humanity had gods who believed that we should all suffer to the nth degree for everything we do. So do you think we should hmm. BTW these gods don't exist now they did exist a few years ago but not now ..what do you really think is going to happen the Illuminatti and the cabal huh.. A nice little jail cell.