PDA

View Full Version : The Royal Institution: What Happens When Maths Go Wrong? (Matt Parker)

Aragorn
10th March 2019, 17:26
Another lecture I seriously recommend, even if only because of its entertainment value. This guy is really hilarious. :)

DESCRIPTION

Most of the time, the maths in our everyday lives works quietly behind the scenes, until someone forgets to carry a '1' and a bridge collapses or a plane drops out of the sky.

Matt Parker is a stand-up comedian and mathematician. He appears regularly on TV and online: as well as being a presenter on the Discovery Channel. His YouTube videos have been viewed over 37 million times. Previously a high-school mathematics teacher, Matt visits schools to talk to students about maths as part of Think Maths and he is involved in the Maths Inspiration shows. In his remaining free time, Matt wrote the books Things To Make and Do in the Fourth Dimension and Humble Pi: A Comedy of Maths Errors. He is also the Public Engagement in Mathematics Fellow at Queen Mary University of London.

Find where to purchase Matt's new book, Humble Pi:
wwwh.umble-pi.com (http://wwwh.umble-pi.com)

DURATION

1 hour 8 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JwEYamjXpA

Christopher
10th March 2019, 18:02
A wonderful English tradition with the Christmas lectures for young people being a highlight .

Suggest you also show the Brian Cox lecture on the Quantum Universe for beginners . 'Strangeness' in all of its true glory .

palooka's revenge
10th March 2019, 18:06
A wonderful English tradition with the Christmas lectures for young people being a highlight .

Suggest you also show the Brian Cox lecture on the Quantum Universe for beginners . 'Strangeness' in all of its true glory .

i hope u, he, or someone does... oh, wait... all i gotta do is search it... duh!!

edit... i see a bunch o em... help!

Aragorn
10th March 2019, 18:09

Well, you'll have to be more precise than that, because Brian Cox has a whole bunch of lectures on YouTube that are related to the topic of quantum mechanics. :hmm: And, you are of course free to post it yourself, if you have the link. :)

Christopher
10th March 2019, 18:43
Well, you'll have to be more precise than that, because Brian Cox has a whole bunch of lectures on YouTube that are related to the topic of quantum mechanics. :hmm: And, you are of course free to post it yourself, if you have the link. :)

I watched one or two when shown on TV and enjoyed them , as reminders of the period when I sailed from Einstein , took to Quantum and then Subquantum Kinetics . Joseph Farrell is very knowledgeable in

these areas . Pity you missed interviewing him as he has that rare ability to translate complex matters into a very easy to understand narrative . I will have a word with him when we next speak .