PDA

View Full Version : CONFLICTING NARRATIVES? Ft. Jon Alpert, documentary filmmaker & journalist

Kathy
28th April 2018, 16:58
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HeUiaNXSOE&t=607s

"Published on Apr 28, 2018 by WorldsApaRT

Cuba is one of those countries that's long been perceived and described through the prism of ideology. Known in the USSR as "the freedom island" that shed the chains of capitalism, it has long been seen in the west as one big prison ruled by an iron fist. But when you’ve spent almost half a century documenting the lives of its people, you’ll find that the reality is different from the idyllic or ideological perceptions. What is Cuba really like? To discuss this, Oksana is joined by Jon Alpert, American journalist & documentary filmmaker."

Emil El Zapato
28th April 2018, 17:48
Where oppression is expected it is always less than depicted.
Where oppression is not expected it is always greater than depicted.

Do you have Russian connections?

Kathy
28th April 2018, 18:28
NAP, are you asking me? If so, why do you ask?

modwiz
28th April 2018, 20:00
Kathy, do you like Russian dressing?:hmm::ha:

Kathy
28th April 2018, 20:03
If you mean the edible kind, it's okay. Not so sure about watching a Russian dressing.

modwiz
28th April 2018, 20:06
If you mean the edible kind, it's okay. Not so sure about watching a Russian dressing.

Now, that was good and very witty.:thup:

modwiz
28th April 2018, 20:12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8IkbCeZ9to

Emil El Zapato
28th April 2018, 20:21

yeah, I was just curious...I'm surprised that anyone still gives that source any credibility. I thought you might have friends, relatives, etc. from Russia. I worked with many Russians, had a very solid guy as a friend whose wife was from there. When he visited he was concerned about the 'political/legal' ramifications of it. It's just that RT is not considered by many as a 'reliable' source.

enjoy being
28th April 2018, 21:17
Anyone for a game of shoot the messenger?

I will always appreciate RT for its differences with USAT.
I thought most people understand that all sorts of wisdoms come in all sorts of packages and all sorts of bollocks also come in all sorts of.. oh streuth that's not going to paint a pretty picture now is it.

Emil El Zapato
28th April 2018, 21:29
It can and actually this particular video comports with my feelings. I've got lifelong Cuban friends and a co-worker now that is very sympatico...we're buddies in other words.

The 'propaganda' motive sours most content for me...So to carefully sum up my opinion of RT I would say, "They don't deserve my respect or consideration."

Kathy
28th April 2018, 21:32
NAP, I have a personal tendency to more or less trust what comes through RT, rather than ANY msm. RT allows journalists to express themselves, it seems to me, than ANY msm. Abby Martin, George Galloway are two who comes to mind. In London there is a certain talk show, LBC (a Zionist owned radio station), through which one journalist earns a living, he has a family to support, James O'Brien, who does amazing interviews outside of that arena, but defends ferociously the agenda of the day on LBC, which p's me off deeply. So, I don't listen to him much when he broadcasts from there. But I understand his problem, and am totally for him on the site that publishes his interviews.

Emil El Zapato
28th April 2018, 21:35
NAP, I have a personal tendency to more or less trust what comes through RT, rather than ANY msm. RT allows journalists to express themselves, it seems to me, than ANY msm. Abby Martin, George Galloway are two who comes to mind. In London there is a certain talk show, LBC (a Zionist owned radio station), through which one journalist earns a living, he has a family to support, James O'Brien, who does amazing interviews outside of that arena, but defends ferociously the agenda of the day on LBC, which p's me off deeply. So, I don't listen to him much when he broadcasts from there. But I understand his problem, and am totally for him on the site that publishes his interviews.

I think Abby Martin threw her microphone in their face...but, ok, I was just curious, i would just add caution to the process of getting information. but perhaps more to the point most people in the past that have thrown RT in my face were decidedly nasty. So I guess it is personal as well.

enjoy being
28th April 2018, 21:41
It is nice to try to contribute stuff for others to decide on for themselves, rather than just salt eveyones bacon for them.

I recall an example. The 2nd 'disclosure' press conference at the Press Club, held by Steven Greer in the same way as they did in 2001. (if I recall that date correctly) ... the second one being a handful of years ago.

American news each had a 2-4 min article in which they scorned, tittered and put up balck and white images of old time "They came from outer space!" movie stills.

RT put up a 15 minute section discussing the concept of UFO phenomenon and the history of its reporting, taking the topic seriously and giving it the respect it deserves.

Running from other people's propaganda will make one tired lol.

And great, yes it is obviously nothing but a personal thing NAP we can see that!

Kathy
28th April 2018, 21:46
Okay, I get your point but, in my own defence, I found Jon Alpert interesting, and I feel Abby Martin evolved before she left RT and I don't know the reason for her split. So, what was your opinion of Jon Alpert, more to the point?

Emil El Zapato
28th April 2018, 22:04
Let me listen to the end...I stopped after listening for awhile. My initial opinion was that he seemed like a very sincere human 'communist' ... just kidding, human being. Anybody that says anything positive about anybody that is under fire can't be all bad. Save those that praise those that are in active evil mode.

One of the very interesting differences between particularly the U.S. and Russia. Russia since the 1920's has been much more open to that which is 'outre'. I always thought that was cool if not kind of 'weird'. So I'm sure you are correct about that. There is no reason for you to question RT, there are reasons for me to do that, however.

In the end it always comes down to authoritarianism versus humanitarianism. For many years now I have been convinced that all evil on planet Earth can be traced to that underdeveloped characteristic.

Aianawa
28th April 2018, 22:04
Agree on Abbey Martin and off to watch her Joe Rogan podcast asap, am ten minutes into vid, he is a special kinda person imo.

Kathy
28th April 2018, 22:19
I absolutely agree with your opinion, Aianawa. She thanks him for allowing her to express her true feelings. She relaxes in her discussions with him, and he is great with her..

enjoy being
28th April 2018, 22:21
Even start shuffling my feet when people want to discuss "how well they thought an actor played a part" rather than talk about the message that might have been on offer.

I wish I had more bandwidth to watch these longer shows like Rogan. I think. Well for a while anyway. It is good if he reaches people like it sounds it does.

Kathy
28th April 2018, 22:33
I always enjoy Joe Rogan. I just finished watching him, in #812, with Russell Brand and Jim Breuer, 3 hrs long, and I couldn't stop laughing. It was brilliant.

Emil El Zapato
28th April 2018, 22:53
Somebody says this video is morally toxic: I won't say who but I need to add that I am remaining neutral, though all of it is pretty interesting and philosophically convoluted and twisted.

Imagine watching a proud country decay over decades and still mourning the man who helped make it happen.

“Cuba and the Cameraman,” a morally toxic new documentary on Netflix, captures just such an arc.

Director Jon Alpert spent 40-plus years shooting footage of Cuban families, landscapes and, most important, Fidel Castro. The late Cuban dictator looms large over the documentary in more ways than one.

Mr. Alpert interviewed the communist strongman several times over the years. Their chats are personal, funny and almost always fawning. Castro quips while Cuba burns.

The film opens with the announcement of Castro’s death at the age of 90. Ordinary Cubans march to mourn his passing, but the time frame quickly jumps back to the early 1970s. That was when Mr. Alpert first started visiting Cuba, camera in hand.

Aragorn
28th April 2018, 23:13
I think Abby Martin threw her microphone in their face... [...]

Okay, I get your point but [...] I feel Abby Martin evolved before she left RT and I don't know the reason for her split. [...]

Abby Martin left RT because she wanted to start her own production company, which she has in the meantime, and her production company is sponsored by TeleSUR, which is a media conglomerate comprised of several South American countries.

She explains it more deeply on the Joe Rogan podcast posted by Dreamtimer, here (https://jandeane81.com/showthread.php/10588-Joe-Rogan-Experience?p=841993027&viewfull=1#post841993027).

Kathy
29th April 2018, 01:54
Has Abby Martin said anything untoward about RT. I imagine she must have enjoyed her experience at RT and gained a lot of excellent knowledge whilst there, which enabled her to move into production. NAP, I am surprised that you did not mention what Jon Alpert intends to do at the North Pole, since he mentioned such intention a number of times in the RT video. You did say you would watch it to the end, I think.

Also, Jon Alpert stated that the highest minded patriot is one who is not afraid to criticise his place of birth's country (in the hope [my inclusion]) that the country can become better for it. Do you agree?

Aragorn
29th April 2018, 03:43
Has Abby Martin said anything untoward about RT.

Not that I know, and she also doesn't say anything negative about it in the podcast with Joe Rogan. The only thing she did comment on — in a humorous way — was RT's somewhat wry reaction to the fact that she openly condemned the Russian military intervention in Crimea on her "Breaking The Set" show, after which RT made the statement that they were going to "ship Abby Martin to Crimea so she can see first-hand what it's like over there."

Nevertheless, RT did allow Abby's criticism of the Russian military intervention to go on air. They never forbade her to speak her mind about anything that she wanted to talk about.

Emil El Zapato
29th April 2018, 12:54
Has Abby Martin said anything untoward about RT. I imagine she must have enjoyed her experience at RT and gained a lot of excellent knowledge whilst there, which enabled her to move into production. NAP, I am surprised that you did not mention what Jon Alpert intends to do at the North Pole, since he mentioned such intention a number of times in the RT video. You did say you would watch it to the end, I think.

Also, Jon Alpert stated that the highest minded patriot is one who is not afraid to criticise his place of birth's country (in the hope [my inclusion]) that the country can become better for it. Do you agree?

I did and I am surprised too.

Emil El Zapato
29th April 2018, 17:35
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdTOK_pnVm4

Emil El Zapato
29th April 2018, 18:24
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HeUiaNXSOE&t=607s

"Published on Apr 28, 2018 by WorldsApaRT

Cuba is one of those countries that's long been perceived and described through the prism of ideology. Known in the USSR as "the freedom island" that shed the chains of capitalism, it has long been seen in the west as one big prison ruled by an iron fist. But when you’ve spent almost half a century documenting the lives of its people, you’ll find that the reality is different from the idyllic or ideological perceptions. What is Cuba really like? To discuss this, Oksana is joined by Jon Alpert, American journalist & documentary filmmaker."

In Jon Alpert's wiki bio the claim is made that another newsman named Tom Bettag was fired for trying to do an expose that ostensibly that Alpert was fired for:

"But what really upset CBS brass and the network's affiliates, including WBAL-TV in Baltimore, were the ratings for the network's war coverage. "The CBS Evening News," which two years ago was the highest-rated newscast in the country, finished last behind ABC and NBC for the fourth straight week, according to Nielsen figures released Tuesday.

The firing of Bettag fueled speculation about Rather's future at the anchor desk. Rather holds the title of managing editor and until yesterday was considered by some to be the power at CBS News. Bettag, who has been executive producer since 1986, was Rather's man.

CBS denied rumors that a co-anchor would be brought in. Mentioned as co-anchors are Lesley Stahl and Connie Chung."

I'm not doing this out of spite, I just want to be sure what it is i'm buying regarding 'reality'.

Emil El Zapato
29th April 2018, 18:34
I finally heard it...I'm not a hockey fan which is perhaps why I never heard until the 4th time I listened to it... :)