PDA

View Full Version : Psilocybin for Depression

Carbry
26th January 2018, 08:30
Have you tried using magic mushroom while having a severe migraine? This got me curious because i've came across this one article about a magic mushroom is used for treating cluster headaches here in https://www.trufflemagic.com/blog/treating-cluster-headaches-psilocybin/ .. It gives you plifting sensation surges into the mind and the body which promotes a sense of happiness. What are your idea about this?

Dreamtimer
26th January 2018, 08:46
Paul Stamets (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Stamets) has spoken and written about psilocybin and it's benefits to humans. I'm not sure how much he spoke about depression. He's a scientist who has done vast work with mushrooms and has a great deal of useful information about mushrooms and their benefits. Lion's Mane may also be a good choice for helping with depression.

There was/is a trend in Silicone Valley involving microdosing, with the purpose of spurring creativity.

Glad to see your article links to a study published in Nature.

Emil El Zapato
26th January 2018, 12:48
I suffer from migraines and have 'done' shrooms only a few times years ago so can't draw any parallels. It was interesting and 'stimulating' in a number of ways...I can see it as a counter to depression in that the experiences promoted 'hyper-alertness' while depression can be very dulling to the senses.

Aragorn
26th January 2018, 23:43
[...]

There was/is a trend in Silicone Valley involving microdosing, with the purpose of spurring creativity.

If my memory serves me right, then those were micro-doses of LSD. I've never done any kind of drugs in my life, so I don't know too much about that, though. :hmm:

That said, welcome Carbry. ;)

http://users.telenet.be/stryder/The_One_Truth/Miscellaneous/welcome.jpeg

Lemual
27th January 2018, 01:53
I've never done any kind of drugs in my life

No judgement intended at all but I'm a little surprised! ;)

Aragorn
27th January 2018, 02:32
I've never done any kind of drugs in my life

No judgement intended at all but I'm a little surprised! ;)

Well, I for one am surprised by your reaction to my statement. :belief:

I've never been one of those guys who felt like he had to go and try everything under the sun. Ever since I was a toddler, I've had and maintained a very clear set of ethics and rules for myself. Granted, I was far more judgmental then than I am now, because as a toddler, my judgment was very "black & white". I still had so much to learn about the world, about people, and about life — and where it can lead you.

My parents had always warned me against drugs, and I have seen first-hand what drugs do to people, so I've always steered clear of that. Besides, being autistic, my brain is already having difficulty coping with the jungle of reality as it is, so I don't need anything in there that "changes my perception" or causes me to hallucinate.

That said, I'm not exactly a teetotaler either. I do smoke — regular off-the-shelf cigarettes — and although it is extremely rare, I will on occasion also consume an alcoholic beverage or two. I've even been tipsy a couple of times in the past, but other than an upset sense of balance and a somewhat slurred speech, it doesn't affect my demeanor, nor my mood. Most importantly even, I don't even yearn for more alcohol when I've had a few, which is strange, given that my mother was an alcoholic, and so I have seen from up close how her addiction affected her.

Most of the time I simply avoid drinking alcohol because unless I am here at home, any other place I go to requires me to drive my car. And I've seen what drinking and driving does too. I've got more than one friend who totaled their cars — plural — while under the influence of alcohol, and then I'm not even getting into those who got caught by the cops and who lost their driver's license a couple of times. And then there are those who don't even remember all the things they did while they were drunk.

No thanks, my dignity is one of the very few things I've got left, and I don't intend to lose that too. ;)

Lemual
27th January 2018, 03:41
Well, I for one am surprised by your reaction to my statement. :belief:

Was more of a sly bit of "poking fun". File it under "just another Aussie hanging sh*t on his mates"!

Dumpster Diver
27th January 2018, 04:32
Well, Aragorn smokes cigs, which in my book is a drug...:dislike::dislike:

...btw, I’ve also never done any sort of drugs, nor tobacco, very little drink; perhaps 1 small glass of wine once a month. I actually felt that society was being pushed into drugs when I was a kid and I absolutely stayed away from it and I’m a “child of the sixties”.

Aragorn
27th January 2018, 06:55
Well, Aragorn smokes cigs, which in my book is a drug...:dislike::dislike:

Cigarettes have never changed my mood, my reflexes, my cognition or my consciousness. Just sayin' :wry: :getcoat:

Elen
27th January 2018, 07:12
Ask any North American Indian what Tobacco really is meant to be...

...a natural way to attune oneself to the Mother Planet. The fact that the powers that seek to limit that connection, by all the toxins they've added to Tobacco, shows clearly that they don't want that connection to take place.

:swing:

Dreamtimer
27th January 2018, 08:07
I guess I'll just take the fifth...but I won't drink one. That's too much.

I've been drunk. I don't really like being drunk, buzzed is fine. I don't drink to get drunk anyway.

I believe I've already fessed up to this: I have tripped. It was in college. I seem to have a high tolerance for certain drugs. I never saw anything that wasn't there. I did what's described as a heroic dose of mushrooms. Very interesting trip but I never saw anything that wasn't already there.

Thinks would certainly change in appearance. Walls undulated, formica floors split into colors and moved to the music of the spheres. But there were no pink elephants.

I had to have oral surgery as a kid and I counted all the way to four before the meds took me out. The doctors were impressed. The other side of that was that I didn't want to come back and they had to put ammonia under my nose. That's awful.

You're right Aragorn, it was LSD that was discussed. I think I heard Paul Stamets talking about micro-dosing and conflated that with mushrooms.

Tobacco carries prayers to the spirit world.

Elen
27th January 2018, 09:14
Oh yes...having one...:very_drunk: too many isn't nice...just right is...:chrs::h5:

Emil El Zapato
27th January 2018, 12:39
Tobacco makes me dizzy...but, of course, that doesn't stop me. I quit for 25 years...got divorced and started hanging out with younger work buddies and they got me hooked again.

Wind
27th January 2018, 13:10
Depression is something that I've had to deal more or less for most of my life. Or should I say melancholy? Of course I'm not always feeling down, it comes and goes.

So in that sense I would be very interested to try the mushrooms as I find the topics about psychedelics fascinating, but I have never gotten around to do so, probably because I've lacked proper contacts and friends like that. Like Aragon, I have a mildly autistic brain and for some reason I've always wanted to stay more or less "clean" and not have my consciousness affected. I don't like to lose control and for that reason I don't like alcohol much. Even though I aknowledge that the buzz is a comforting sensation, but quite luckily my body doesn't like alcohol either. I've seen what alcohol does to people and most of my family has suffered from alcoholism. I recently lost one relative to it too. As a sensitive person it would be so easy to escape to something like alcoholism... I'm not judging anyone btw, I've just seen some things.

I have a really strong dislike for tobacco. The smell of it burns my nose and makes my eyes watery. I've never smoked a single one and I hate the fact that my mother is killing herself with them.

That being said, ironically I used to like cigars (made from real leaves), but the smoke from them is never inhaled to the lungs. I haven't smoked at all for a while and when I did, it was only very occasionally. Sometimes they made me feel dizzy, but also good.

Psychedelics have also helped people to get rid of their addictions too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjNdPG3q5CE

Emil El Zapato
27th January 2018, 21:35
psychedelics like LSD, I'm convinced is good for overcoming neuroses, though admittedly given an improper psychological environment it might precipitate psychosis ... :)

But from a 'self-discovery' view LSD is unparalleled. Just ask Timothy Leary... I'm no expert...again, a few forays, but as Jung said, we have to de-construct to put it back together again in a new improved version. Make the leap to the other side by going straight down the rabbit hole. :)

Aragorn
27th January 2018, 23:27
Depression is something that I've had to deal more or less for most of my life. Or should I say melancholy? Of course I'm not always feeling down, it comes and goes.

I can relate to that. :hmm:

I have a really strong dislike for tobacco. The smell of it burns my nose and makes my eyes watery. I've never smoked a single one and I hate the fact that my mother is killing herself with them.

That being said, ironically I used to like cigars (made from real leaves), but the smoke from them is never inhaled to the lungs. I haven't smoked at all for a while and when I did, it was only very occasionally. Sometimes they made me feel dizzy, but also good.

Without wanting to derail this thread any further, I have the opposite reaction. I have smoked a few cigars in my time — just for the humor of it — but I don't like them, and I hate the smell of them. The smell of cigarettes on the other hand has always felt comfortable to me — possibly because my dad, both of my grandfathers, most other male (and adult) family members, and most male friends of the family were all smokers, and so I grew up with that scent. It was as intrinsically linked to adult manhood as talking about automotive technology and playing cards on New Year's Eve. ;)

Nevertheless, my parents have tried to discourage me from smoking when I was a teenager, namely by simply forbidding it. I started smoking during the final exams of my 9th-grade school year, and I had to keep my smoking a secret up until I was putting in my military service. When I was a teenager, my obsessive-compulsive mom would even go through the pockets of my coat almost every day while I was in my room doing my homework in order to look for tobacco crumbs, and if she found any — or worse, if she found any actual cigarettes, which did happen on a few occasions — then I was severely punished.

That all said, once we had moved to a different house — when I was 17 — I found that didn't like the smell of my dad's cigarettes anymore, and especially so when I was still busy eating while he lit up a cigarette after he had finished, but that's because from that point in time on, his cigarettes were hand-made, with the same kind of tobacco as for hand-rolling but with the tobacco inserted into the cigarette tubes by way of a little device. You know, you put the tobacco in the device, you attach a cigarette tube on one side, and then you pull the slide back and forth, and you've got a cigarette. He would always prepare a whole box like that in advance. It was cheaper than buying off-the-shelf cigarettes.

I'm not sure whether it was the particular flavor of tobacco that he was using or whether it was just that class of tobacco in and of itself. Tobacco for hand-rolling is commonly less finely cut and of a more moist variety than the kind that goes into prefabricated cigarettes. Not only do they smell differently, but they taste differently too.

Anyway... :back to topic: ;)

Lemual
28th January 2018, 02:02
Don't tell me I'm the black sheep of the forum!?! ;)

I've tried pretty much everything except Heroin and Cocaine (and associated Opium, Crack et el).

One thing that strikes me is quite a few people say they don't like the "loss of control". I've only ever felt a loss of control while drinking. Had some crazy/cool times on Shrooms/LSD/DMT but never felt like I wasn't in control. Maybe that's just me.

What I found to be quite a positive experience was Ayahuasca. I wouldn't take it lightly or even as a "drug" experience, and find a Shaman/practitioner who you can trust. It helped my ex partner with a lot of her childhood trauma.

Dreamtimer
28th January 2018, 15:19
I met a guy once who described it all as the same. A drug is a drug is a drug. But no matter how many times he said it I wasn't buying any six of one, half dozen of the other when it comes to heroin v. caffeine, pot, alcohol. No way. He was talking like his regular use of heroin with his wife was no big deal.

I didn't like cocaine. It made me hyper and addicted several of my friends. It also caused anti-social behavior at parties because everyone would go off into the private VIP chambers to snort. Then the ladies talked a mile a minute and the guys couldn't perform. :fpalm:

One of the reasons my husband and I got along was because we weren't on the cocaine train.

Ayahuasca has not been on my menu but I'll second the shaman-you-can-trust advice multiple times over. I'd be more inclined to try DMT even though it's short. A snippet of a dream can be a treasure trove.

Mescaline is the pill form of peyote. Thus, if one was to consider microdosing with that compound, the pill form might be the way to go. The buttons are apparently unpredictable. I have never tried that. The mescaline form is considered similar to LSD and psilocybin.

Dumpster Diver
28th January 2018, 17:18
I met a guy once who described it all as the same. A drug is a drug is a drug. But no matter how many times he said it I wasn't buying any six of one, half dozen of the other when it comes to heroin v. caffeine, pot, alcohol. No way. He was talking like his regular use of heroin with his wife was no big deal.

I didn't like cocaine. It made me hyper and addicted several of my friends. It also caused anti-social behavior at parties because everyone would go off into the private VIP chambers to snort. Then the ladies talked a mile a minute and the guys couldn't perform. :fpalm:

One of the reasons my husband and I got along was because we weren't on the cocaine train.

Ayahuasca has not been on my menu but I'll second the shaman-you-can-trust advice multiple times over. I'd be more inclined to try DMT even though it's short. A snippet of a dream can be a treasure trove.

Mescaline is the pill form of peyote. Thus, if one was to consider microdosing with that compound, the pill form might be the way to go. The buttons are apparently unpredictable. I have never tried that. The mescaline form is considered similar to LSD and psilocybin.

Dreamy! I didn’t know you were such a hop-head.

...but I get you on the guys underperforming. I’d be pissed too. :whstl:

sandy
29th January 2018, 00:13
Cigarettes have never changed my mood, my reflexes, my cognition or my consciousness. Just sayin' :wry: :getcoat:

Try quitting and then see what happens with your moods, cognition and reflexes....Just Sayin' :getcoat::smiley hug:

Aragorn
30th January 2018, 00:15

Try quitting and then see what happens with your moods, cognition and reflexes....Just Sayin' :getcoat::smiley hug:

That is quite a different thing, sandy. If you were to stop eating for about a week, your mood, cognition and reflexes would also be affected. Tobacco creates a dependency in the body, and whether it's a innate dependency or not is irrelevant.

The body has an innate dependency on food, and so if sustenance — a very appropriate word — were to fall away, then the dependency would manifest itself through neurological and physiological effects, as a signal from the body that it needs replenishment of the sustenance of which it was deprived.

I am talking of the direct influence of tobacco — read: the introduction of nicotine into the blood stream — on my mood, cognition and reflexes. Smoking doesn't change my mood, nor does it change my cognitive abilities, nor does it change my reflexes. And that's where it contrasts with the substances which I myself label as "drugs".

sandy
30th January 2018, 02:57
Well Aragorn; :scrhd:

If you are talking of physical dependency versus psychological then the theme changes somewhat.............. but then is not our psychological well being part of our physical well being......thus for many having a cig' when stressed has a calming affect and effect which then becomes a mood changer, facilitating clearer thinking as a result of the calming and relaxed muscles and nerves will perform with greater ease than uptight ones...... :eyebrows:

I quit smoking 5 years ago after a 50 year habit of a pkg a day and sometime more. I have a nicotine free vape now for my behavior need of a "soother" and I call my vape my soo-soo......:p

Still yearn to have a real cig' no matter the 5 years without. Even the yearning can change my mood until I do something different to change my focus and or redirect my thoughts and images. :nails:

Almost to the point some days of being willing to try those mushrooms to shake these winter blues....

:back to topic:

enjoy being
30th January 2018, 06:11
I quit vaping 13 months ago and quit tobacco 21 months ago. 25 year habit with many attempts to give up but vaping worked a treat and I knew within 2 weeks I was never going to smoke again, no yearning, no fear of being around people smoking, no dislike of the smell.

I dont think magic mushrooms should be considered as a medication for headaches, the suggestion is to me too hilarious for words. I would personally rather drink several glasses of water and ride it out rather than take a mushroom trip. There's heaps and heaps of those things in the land of my mountain and my days of those things are in the very distant past.I think the risks of such things are far too high to even suggest using to relieve a headache lol.

Dreamtimer
30th January 2018, 11:46
I smoked cigarettes in college. I never got beyond a half a pack a day. I quit shortly after graduation. The smell of tobacco is still appealing and there've been a couple of times when I drank too much and decided to smoke a cigarette. I always regretted it, and sometimes it made me feel sick. A sudden shot of nicotine will do that if you're not accustomed to it. I would get a head rush, too. But I don't do that anymore. Smoking will remain a thing of the past.

There are many kinds of fungus that grow around here but I don't think any of it is magic.

Elen
30th January 2018, 11:56
There are many kinds of fungus that grow around here but I don't think any of it is magic.

Check out the pine-trees...that's where they are to be found. ;)

Dumpster Diver
1st February 2018, 20:55
I smoked cigarettes in college. I never got beyond a half a pack a day. I quit shortly after graduation. The smell of tobacco is still appealing and there've been a couple of times when I drank too much and decided to smoke a cigarette. I always regretted it, and sometimes it made me feel sick. A sudden shot of nicotine will do that if you're not accustomed to it. I would get a head rush, too. But I don't do that anymore. Smoking will remain a thing of the past.

Dreamy get some that look like these:

http://nightflight.com/wp-content/uploads/MAGIC-MUSHROOM-2.jpg

fry 'em up in a pan and eat them. Resist the urge to barf and the "magic" will come, trust me. :batman

enjoy being
1st February 2018, 22:01
There have been no deaths from those Fly Agaric toadstools for 100 years, but it would be advised that they are not of the psilocybin genus and are in fact of the death cap and destroying angels family (Amanita). They used to be considered more toxic than they are, but I would say not many people would be ingesting these ahead of actual psilocybin "magic mushrooms" "these days" so perhaps the stats are shaped that way because of it. This toadstool contains muscimol, not psilocybin as its psychoactive ingredient.
I was under the impression that these toadstools contain high amounts of strychnine which can build up and cause death. Though, I was also always told that about psilocybes too. Still unsure of the truth in that. All I know is that psilocybes you can eat raw, whereas those little red and white horrors need to be cooked to make them slightly safe.

Not that I believe anyone reading this thread is going to go out and start chewing on toadstools. It is also said that toxicity levels vary seasonally. Spring and summer have higher toxicity levels for Fly Agaric. Psilocybes it is advised to let them be for the first week or so of their season, which tends to be in early autumn when the rain and first cold nights start to arrive.

Dumpster Diver
2nd February 2018, 00:11
There have been no deaths from those Fly Agaric toadstools for 100 years, but it would be advised that they are not of the psilocybin genus and are in fact of the death cap and destroying angels family (Amanita). They used to be considered more toxic than they are, but I would say not many people would be ingesting these ahead of actual psilocybin "magic mushrooms" "these days" so perhaps the stats are shaped that way because of it. This toadstool contains muscimol, not psilocybin as its psychoactive ingredient.
I was under the impression that these toadstools contain high amounts of strychnine which can build up and cause death. Though, I was also always told that about psilocybes too. Still unsure of the truth in that. All I know is that psilocybes you can eat raw, whereas those little red and white horrors need to be cooked to make them slightly safe.

Not that I believe anyone reading this thread is going to go out and start chewing on toadstools. It is also said that toxicity levels vary seasonally. Spring and summer have higher toxicity levels for Fly Agaric. Psilocybes it is advised to let them be for the first week or so of their season, which tends to be in early autumn when the rain and first cold nights start to arrive.

Wait, what? The label on the jpg said “magic mushrooms” and I believe all the labels on the interweb.

Aragorn
2nd February 2018, 00:46
There have been no deaths from those Fly Agaric toadstools for 100 years, [...]

Just as an aside, the name "toadstool" is actually the literal translation to English of the word we use in Dutch for any kind of mushroom — i.e. "paddenstoel". ("Pad" means "toad" — it can also mean "path", but then the plural is "paden", not "padden" — and "stoel" means "stool", "chair".) ;)

Emil El Zapato
2nd February 2018, 00:50
that makes sense to me because I consider anything called 'mushroom' ain't nothing more than a toadstool.

Dumpster Diver
2nd February 2018, 01:01
Just as an aside, the name "toadstool" is actually the literal translation to English of the word we use in Dutch for any kind of mushroom — i.e. "paddenstoel". ("Pad" means "toad" — it can also mean "path", but then the plural is "paden", not "padden" — and "stoel" means "stool", "chair".) ;)

The stinking Dutch ruin everything, they invent Santa Clause, Baseball, and now toadstools.

Wind
2nd February 2018, 03:44
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnGI8aADZro

Elen
4th February 2018, 14:19
Found this because of KeepTrying's Comics thread...it fits here:

https://safr.kingfeatures.com/idn/ck3/content.php?file=aHR0cDovL3NhZnIua2luZ2ZlYXR1cmVzL mNvbS9IYWdhclRoZUhvcnJpYmxlLzIwMTcvMDIvSGFnYXJfVGh lX0hvcnJpYmxlLjIwMTcwMjI4XzE0NDAuZ2lm

Dreamtimer
4th February 2018, 17:49
Awesome, Elen! You got a multi-toned guffaw out of me.:hilarious:

Dumpster Diver
4th February 2018, 19:32
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/d4/91/d3/d491d382ce2958212107155c45b4cd9e.jpg

https://cdn1.lockerdomecdn.com/uploads/a8a9b00962d233d4f7809dca0d82053798591ad4623cfaff13 ee6d87143d2939_large

Dreamtimer
4th February 2018, 21:02
Ouch, mycelium hurts!:lol::lol::lol:

Dreamtimer
30th April 2019, 13:48
Gordon White of Rune Soup recently recommended this one. It's generally about psychedelics and consciousness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s97LqqXjys8

Emil El Zapato
30th April 2019, 16:05
fungi be weird...and so are their effects. I just saw somebody get squashed on TV in Venezuela...

Wood Rose is a 'mellow' hallucinogen. Not really much for a 'mystical' experience. Psilocybin will enhance the senses. LSD will make one 'crazy'...as in seeing things that one wouldn't normally see. The question is why or what for...maybe it is all coincidence/accident. Much the way technology develops by coincidental discoveries and often by accident. Is technology part of nature? Is it organic? Is nature ONLY organic. hmmm...who knows.

Dreamtimer
30th April 2019, 16:24
I didn't realize that so many of the plants that are spreading have hallucinogens in them.