PDA

View Full Version : Active Self Protection

Fred Steeves
3rd October 2017, 10:35
Warning, there is visual footage of gunfire and some blood in this video. The sound is the narrator discussing the incident in terms of self-defense. Of course, it's important to know your local laws in that regard.

With this latest mass shooting here in the U.S., here comes the ever so predictable volley of anti gun sentiment. So I figured this might be a good time to start a thread on not only how bad guys use guns, but good guys as well. I've had a license to carry a gun since 2003, and the reason I do is if I'm ever confronted with bad guy with gun, I want good guy with a gun there to potentially stop him. Waiting around for the police is for the birds IMO, people die waiting for the police.

I've been watching this guy's videos for about a year now, and he does an excellent job at showing every sort of violent encounter, and teaching what went wrong and what went right between good guy/bad guy. It's not always about the gun either, the main thing is staying cool and being aware. I'll probably post like one per week, the one I think is the best. Here's the first one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9fnhArLf2Y

Dreamtimer
3rd October 2017, 12:06
I'm fine with smart, experienced, trained people being armed for self-protection. In a sudden, life-or-death circumstance even trained people make deadly mistakes. I'm not fond of the idea of a bunch of cross-fire from a bunch of armed people who are (potentially) freaking out.

I look forward to watching these, Fred.

enjoy being
3rd October 2017, 13:17
Gee see that sort of thing is totally not like my neighbourhood, we only have about 7 people a year killed with a gun here.
Interesting. Wow Im soft, seeing the blood in that video made me shake.

Emil El Zapato
3rd October 2017, 14:21
What is that theory about the 'attractor' thing. I live in a metropolitan area and never lock my doors and, in fact, I most often leave my back door open and get a number of unwanted guests as a result. Lizards, neighborhood bully cats, dead squirrels, and even a family of possums...I'm shuddering as I write. I have been burglarized a couple of times, by friends and acquaintances. The last time, my car was broken into and the perpetrators tried to smoke my car. The only reason it didn't burn was because of the fire protection sealant that it was coated with.

I can't disagree with the 'feeling' that we need guns, but I don't own one, partially because part of me 'feels' that if I had one, I might kill someone. Like some a**wipe that cuts me off in traffic and then flips me off as if it was my fault... :) not really really, but one never knows.

As a proud father of a teenage girl, one can imagine why the need for a gun might 'feel' compelling. I don't know, I just don't think we really need them. And the inevitable gun talk after such events is badly needed.

What I do find offensive though, is the just as inevitable propaganda that surfaces everytime a liberal politician is elected. "Oh, Lord, please let me keep my guns so I can get those colored folks before they get me." In the immediate aftermath, all the conservative grandmas start a stampede to the gun shop and firearm certification centers. A good friend of mine's mother did this very thing. She was in the middle of divorce proceedings after 42 years of marriage and I really believe she wanted to kill her husband.

Safety yes, propaganda no.

And I don't need to so no blood...:shocked:

Fred Steeves
3rd October 2017, 14:29
@DreamTimer: Let me tell you, being in a crossfire situation is one of the last places I'd like to be. Having watched through so many examples of that, I've gotten a pretty good idea of where the line is between whether I draw and shoot, and when to stand fast.

If I'm the clerk in this situation I likely don't take that shot, and hope to buy time for something more clear for the counter ambush.

@ Nothing: Some of these videos are pretty hard core. Just this morning I saw a cop get shot in the head point blank, after committing the crucial error of drawing on a drawn gun. It looked like he was dead before he hit the ground.

Overall there's not much violence where I live either, in a small rural town of only about 1,800 people. There was however a home invasion recently no more than about a 20 minute walk through the woods, across the neighbor's property. Man knocks on door of elderly couple in broad daylight, crushes the husband's frail jaw with a succor punch upon opening the door, then beats the wife to the ground before loading up the loot.

That's a situation I would shoot without hesitation.

Emil El Zapato
3rd October 2017, 14:32
I will add, that people that are brave enough to own or work in a convenience store need to have guns. My brother when in high school worked nights at a local grocery store and was the victim of an armed robbery. He's about as conservative as they come. He doesn't own a gun!? My older brother who has a background in law enforcement in recent years has owned machine guns for decades.

enjoy being
3rd October 2017, 15:39
New Zealand has become a little more dangerous since the government decided to force the nation to give up cigarettes by raising the price in regular increments. They are now up to something like $26nzd for a pack of 20. That SEEMS to be the excuse for an increase in armed hold ups of, as we call them here, Dairys. I guess convenience stores would be a comparative name.
A few years ago a pair of 13 year old youths stabbed a dairy attendant/owner in a botched hold up in which the victim later died. That was local to me so I guess I am missing out bits of the picture of New Zealand.

We don't even have any predators here, no poisonous or dangerous critters. The idea of people rocking around freely with handguns just "blows me away". We have high gun ownership but the laws don't permit anyone to really own a handgun. You have to be a member of a gun club/ range and the gun must be kept at the premises of the gun club, you are not allowed to have a handgun in your possession outside of that. Crazy huh?

One lax thing though is that our national online buy and sell site allows guns to be sold and although they stipulate that the seller must sight the buyers license and do the proper thing, it is just left up to private sellers to carry that through.. needless to say NZ is one of the only countries where you can indeed successfully go and buy a gun online and not have to have shown any ID. The law here is the gun user is licensed not the gun, so there is absolutely no record in that way really, of any of the guns here, and guns sold online like that can basically disappear and never be known to have ever existed.
Spooky huh.

Dreamtimer
3rd October 2017, 17:13
We used to leave our back door open all the time. We stopped that after a few years. The usual stranger that shows up at the door is a Jehova's Witness. There's a church not far away. A few years back one of the boys at my son's high school warned that there was a local gang of teenagers running around. That was a real head scratcher. They did some break-ins and/or theft but I think they got caught.

Once an asian couple was collecting acorns at the end of my driveway. And once someone was stealing wood from a tree that just got chopped and I had to tell him to leave. I think he did only because I had a dog. He was a thief and a liar. He told me he had permission which was BS.

My sister-in-law's original reason for getting one was keeping the children safe. They're grown now. She's only just getting lessons now in how to shoot. One of the first lessons was where to put her thumb so the gun didn't take it off while firing.

Logically, the only reason you need a gun is because the enemy will have one. So then you need more, and bigger, and more ammo, and...ad infinitum. It's like money, there's never enough.

Emil El Zapato
3rd October 2017, 17:31
:) if you're gonna have one, make it a good one. I think I would prefer a sniper's rifle or an ar-15 (go American). I have a couple of Thompson's, Uzi, a number of hunting rifles, hunting bows, matching set of pearl handled revolvers, a saturday night special or two, Military 45s, and some shotguns in the family, not to mention the homemade explosives...I feel pretty safe.

As my prepper nephews like to say, "We're coming in hot!"

NAP

Melidae
3rd October 2017, 17:40
Self-protection is not just against a fellow 'citizen', but also our own government...

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." Amendment 2

Every Member of Congress and commissioned officer (civilian and military) in federal service as well as every enlisted service member takes an oath that requires they promise to "support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic …"

...perhaps that is why they are trying so hard to take guns away from the people.

Does anyone actually believe we have representation in CONgress? Agencies that give the illusion of protecting us, do no such thing...think FDA, EPA, etc.

We are being systematically poisoned through the foods we eat, the water we drink and the very air we breathe, despite the agencies who are supposed to protect us. Our properties can be taken from us, and we are supposed to be protected from illegal search and seizure. The populace is experimented on without their knowledge; subjected to mandated vaccines that cause autism, severe disability and even death; deliberate 'dumbing down' through common core...must I go on?

Our own government is at war with us, and most people aren't even aware of it.

Still wondering why they want to take away our right to bear arms before the populace wakes up to what they are doing to us?

I expect these false flags to continue until they get what they want. It doesn't matter how many people they kill. Their control depends on a compliant citizenry...and so continues 'fear, fear, fear' and demands to keep us 'safe" and more fluoride added to the water.

"It's easier to kill a million people than control a million people." Zbigniew Brzezinski

Wind
3rd October 2017, 17:40
Americans sure love their guns and the 2nd amenment. :)

Here in Finland we have lots of guns too, but mostly they are used in the countryside. Hunters, gun enthusiasts and collectors have them. There are of course pretty strict laws and it's not easy to get some guns, I'd say hunting rifles and shotguns are the most popular weapons. I think that to most city folks firearms are quite foreign things, but of course most men are drafted to army in their youth so they know the basics about rifles anyways. I respect guns for their power and appreciate their beauty, but I don't like their original purpose... Which is to kill or to incapacitate. Here it's of course not legal to openly carry weapons and I'm happy about that, if I knew that people around me would have guns I wouldn't feel safer. In most cases you will get charged too if you defend yourself with firearm and there is proof about excessive use of force, and using bullets tends to be so according to our laws.

I wouldn't carry a gun on me either even if I could and owned one. From observing statistics it seems that here aren't that many gun violence related deaths and mostly they tend to be suicides. In the US the gun violence related statistics are horrible though.

When it comes to the Vegas shooting, I think it's almost impossible to defend yourself in situations like that. Those people had no chance.

Emil El Zapato
3rd October 2017, 17:47
No chance, it's a very base motivation underlying it all. We can all succumb to it but we shouldn't.

Hi Melidae,

The government has tanks, smart bombs, fighter aircraft, berzerkers, chemical weapons, advanced surveillance, etc. Haven't you ever seen 'BlackHawk Down'. They're not worried about the citizenry beyond them killing each other. It's not good for the economy!

Melidae
3rd October 2017, 20:17
We have more power than you think.

“And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.”
― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago 1918-1956

The economy is coming down...by their hand. They have 'milked' the dollar as much as they possibly can, and it is bound to be replaced.

I may sound all 'doom and gloom', but I'm not. I like to see reality, whether intentional or unintentional, and decide what I can do. I can silently protect myself and others from this silent war...grow a garden...eat organically...stay away from the medical industry and big pharma...get back to nature...form strong community bonds, etc.

Technology has it's place, but it has the ability to take us away from that which nourishes us...the earth, nature, spirituality, and each other.

Dumpster Diver
3rd October 2017, 21:14
This sorta reminds me of a story:

We haven't Black Widow spiders in any of the houses where we live. They are a real threat here. I take care of and protect all spiders, even the poisonous ones as both the GF (she hates them but will not kill them or use poisons) and we both think all life is precious and nature should have its way. If a spider comes into the house, I trap it and release it outside.

Our gardener noticed the lack of Black Widows and said, "if you take care of the community of spiders, they will take care of you."

I get it now...

Aragorn
3rd October 2017, 22:37
[...] The populace is experimented on without their knowledge; subjected to mandated vaccines that cause autism, severe disability and even death; deliberate 'dumbing down' through common core...must I go on? [...]

Um, I just want to respond to that part, and I know it's getting worn by now, but people keep on making that same mistake, and so I have to set the record straight each and every time.

:flag:

Vaccines do not cause autism. Autism is a genetically originated neurological difference which can manifest in a number of different ways — e.g. autism proper, OCD, ADHD, dyslexia, synesthesia, et al — many of which often coincide within the same person. Vaccine injury on the other hand is a form of inflammation which can and often does lead to brain damage, and which is caused by neurotoxic chemicals used as conservation agents, such as Thiomersal.

Being autistic myself, and having had an education in the paramedical field, I have already elaborated on the difference between both phenomena in many different threads all across the forum, but the most recent discussion starts in this post here (https://jandeane81.com/showthread.php/11256-AAA-Meeting?p=841976307&viewfull=1#post841976307) — it's a members-only thread, and you may have to skip a number of off-topic posts on it to get the full explanation, but I do strongly encourage you to read it, as it will clarify a lot of things. ;)

Anyway, that said... :back to topic: :)

sandy
4th October 2017, 05:25
I do not have a gun however I do have a 3 foot iron poker that is sharpened to a fine point and has a strap on the handle so it cannot be pulled out of my hand!!! That is about as dangerous as I will get if someone is wishing to harm me and gets within 3 feet of me :fisty:....other than that I am a goner if they have a gun!! :cloud:

Thus; rather than own a gun I will catch you on the next realm if that is what is in the cards..... :shapeshift:

Fred Steeves
4th October 2017, 09:18
I do not have a gun however I do have a 3 foot iron poker that is sharpened to a fine point and has a strap on the handle so it cannot be pulled out of my hand!!! That is about as dangerous as I will get if someone is wishing to harm me and gets within 3 feet of me :fisty:....

A nice generous shot of pepper spray to the eyes can be a very effective, and easy to use deterrent, but hell Sandy that poker sounds rather mean as well!

You also bring up a good point, that self defense doesn't always have to be with use of a firearm, anything laying around within reach can come in handy in a pinch as well. Like a pizza stone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVKejA_i2Yw

Lord Sidious
4th October 2017, 09:41
I do not have a gun however I do have a 3 foot iron poker that is sharpened to a fine point and has a strap on the handle so it cannot be pulled out of my hand!!! That is about as dangerous as I will get if someone is wishing to harm me and gets within 3 feet of me :fisty:....other than that I am a goner if they have a gun!! :cloud:

Thus; rather than own a gun I will catch you on the next realm if that is what is in the cards..... :shapeshift:

In places where possession of ''weapons'' is a problem, oven cleaner can be a very good item for self defence

Melidae
4th October 2017, 11:49
Bug spray, such as for hornets, works well, too. Some can 'shoot' up to 20' away.

Melidae
4th October 2017, 12:04
Um, I just want to respond to that part, and I know it's getting worn by now, but people keep on making that same mistake, and so I have to set the record straight each and every time.

:flag:

Vaccines do not cause autism. Autism is a genetically originated neurological difference which can manifest in a number of different ways — e.g. autism proper, OCD, ADHD, dyslexia, synesthesia, et al — many of which often coincide within the same person. Vaccine injury on the other hand is a form of inflammation which can and often does lead to brain damage, and which is caused by neurotoxic chemicals used as conservation agents, such as Thiomersal.

Being autistic myself, and having had an education in the paramedical field, I have already elaborated on the difference between both phenomena in many different threads all across the forum, but the most recent discussion starts in this post here (https://jandeane81.com/showthread.php/11256-AAA-Meeting?p=841976307&viewfull=1#post841976307) — it's a members-only thread, and you may have to skip a number of off-topic posts on it to get the full explanation, but I do strongly encourage you to read it, as it will clarify a lot of things. ;)

Anyway, that said... :back to topic: :)

Thank you, Aragorn.

I see my mistake, and believe it or not, I really do know better. But your clarification has added to my knowledge, and I really appreciate it.

:)

Dreamtimer
4th October 2017, 12:55
People have been saying the government is going to take our guns away for my entire life and that hasn't even come close to happening. What few laws we have are unenforced or have their teeth removed. It's easy to gin up excitement to get more gun sales. And it happens all the time.

How did the guy run away after getting smacked in the face with a pizza stone?

Gio
4th October 2017, 17:53
Will share this timely segment here ...

Suroosh Alvi Investigates The Future of Firearms

VICE on HBO: Season 5

VICE News
Published on Oct 4, 2017

VICE takes a closer look at the future of firearms in America.

The firearms industry experienced unprecedented growth in the last decade. Fear of government regulation drove much of that growth as President Obama repeatedly tried to pass gun control laws in the aftermath of numerous mass shootings.

Now, with the political landscape fundamentally changed, the industry, and gun rights advocates, are looking for new ways to expand upon their 2nd amendment rights and the bottom line -- with some surprising results.

14:25 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPx4nTUfmW4

Emil El Zapato
4th October 2017, 18:03
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oFzxV_pmwI

I actually went to school with this guy (Another state champion wrestler, my high school had a lot of them. They hold a couple of national records). My brother dated his younger sister.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41S5C8J6BNL._SX280_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Emil El Zapato
4th October 2017, 18:20
Hey Gio,

Your post takes all the fun out of it. But, it sure does speak to the real problem!

Gio
4th October 2017, 19:00
Hey Gio,

Your post takes all the fun out of it. But, it sure does speak to the real problem!

In all i believe the latest incident in Las Vegas really won't change much in the United States public opinion on gun ownership ...
The self protective gun mentally is woven and embedded into the nations fabric ... And where and what it might lead to down the road is anyone's guess ... And in regards to having fun - By the looks and smiles of the above Vice/HBO video - those involved were having some serious pleasurable moments there in ... :)

Emil El Zapato
4th October 2017, 19:14
hmm, talk about Pizzagate, I would call that psychological pedophilia...and just as wrong!

NAP

Fred Steeves
4th October 2017, 22:00
How did the guy run away after getting smacked in the face with a pizza stone?

I wondered the same thing, that was quite the battering ram he took to the forehead with the butt end of that pizza stone. The power of adrenaline? Maybe combined that it also may have hit right in the sweet spot of where to head butt someone from? My best guess.

Emil El Zapato
4th October 2017, 22:14
I wondered the same thing, that was quite the battering ram he took to the forehead with that thing. The power of adrenaline? My best guess.

On Stan Lee's Superhumans they had a guest that was blessed with an abnormally thick skull. The guy made a living out of it...might be the same guy!

sandy
5th October 2017, 00:17
Thanks for the great suggestions you bunch of great siblings.....I will be investing in a few sprays for defense and have them ready at will but not for bears, ovens or bugs unless the bug comes in unwanted human form. I do live in Canada and personal safety in my area/neighbourhood is not a big deal or fear but Iam a Boy Scout at heart........and believe in being prepared. Thanks again for the wonderful affordable resources! :hug:

enjoy being
5th October 2017, 00:22
Hopefully the oven cleaner doesn't get over sprayed on any paintwork in the process, or at least be aware it will strip paint.

enjoy being
5th October 2017, 00:35
Anyway I am not sure what the laws are elsewhere, but here if someone breaks into your house you better make sure you attack them with the right weapon or else you will be going to jail. You can't have a baseball bat near the door as it is a premeditated weapon and there is a chance a court will find against you for assault. Definitely if you have an actual weapon, home made or a gun, you will likely stand charges for using it on a home invader.
You are better off with something which is unassumingly domestic. One that gets mentions often is a good old handsaw. The handle is a good grip hard to let go of, and the teeth will be doing some nice damage.

Dreamtimer
5th October 2017, 01:03
The kitchen obviously has lots of weapons. A heavy flashlight will work. I have a stand with canes and umbrellas by the front door. The canes would work well. I found a piece of rebar in the woods and it's in my car. I don't know if I'd get in trouble for that but it's unlikely my car will be searched for any reason. I also have a set of throwing knives in the car. They're in a case which I could club someone with.

enjoy being
5th October 2017, 01:18
Wow Dreamtimer, hmm.

Another technique for out and about in the car that I used to use a bit. Was to find yourself some completely outrageous socks. I had some black and white hoopy ones which seemed pretty likely to me. The aim is that they act as a diffuser should there be any trouble. When you get out of the car with these ridiculous socks on, the potential attacker is very likely to take pity on you or at least be distracted, perhaps even burst into hysterics. Of course if you are going into a very dangerous neighbourhood, I would suggest maybe some sort of clownpants would be of great benefit.

sandy
5th October 2017, 03:46
hahahahaha Nothing...I thought you were going to say ut a bar of hard soap like ivory/dove etc in each sock as they will smell up the car and make an excellent billy club at the same time....when I worked at a Penitentiary the inmates used this tactic for a weapon quite often, especially in self defense.

Fred Steeves
5th October 2017, 09:46
Anyway I am not sure what the laws are elsewhere, but here if someone breaks into your house you better make sure you attack them with the right weapon or else you will be going to jail. You can't have a baseball bat near the door as it is a premeditated weapon and there is a chance a court will find against you for assault. Definitely if you have an actual weapon, home made or a gun, you will likely stand charges for using it on a home invader.

You know, laws like that have never made a lick sense to me. Some stranger has broken into your house, to do who knows what, and the law is going to do it's best to hobble the home owner in defending their castle?

For all the faults of my own country, I think they've got this one pretty good. The home is literally considered one's castle, and their last place of refuge, if someone breaks in you can do whatever it takes to stop that threat. Now if they make it back out the front door the rules flip, if you chase them out and do bodily harm then *you* are going to prison. The golden rule across the board is "never chase a fleeing felon", it's up to the police at that point.

The kitchen obviously has lots of weapons. A heavy flashlight will work. I have a stand with canes and umbrellas by the front door. The canes would work well. I found a piece of rebar in the woods and it's in my car. I don't know if I'd get in trouble for that but it's unlikely my car will be searched for any reason. I also have a set of throwing knives in the car. They're in a case which I could club someone with.

I like that attitude! :)

But what if you're on your way back to your car, at night, in a parking lot or something? I would definitely consider a handy little can of pepper spray for the purse.

Speaking of attitude, these three armed burglars got more than they bargained for from this home owner. If you break into a house here in the States this is what you might expect, although thieves of this caliber are usually not the sharpest tack in the box...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak1r4bKJ0Bc

Dreamtimer
5th October 2017, 12:07
Yeah, the pepper spray is very good. I don't actually have one at the moment. My sister-in-law has one that's on her key chain. She told me they expire, I'm not sure why that would be. I haven't researched it. But she got herself out of a very dangerous situation when she was just 21 using her wit and words. The brain is always a great tool, provided you keep it sharp.

Wow. She came out and wasn't messing around. I was a little amused when the guy came out, he missed the action. Must've been her gun.

Emil El Zapato
5th October 2017, 13:48
Wow Dreamtimer, hmm.

Another technique for out and about in the car that I used to use a bit. Was to find yourself some completely outrageous socks. I had some black and white hoopy ones which seemed pretty likely to me. The aim is that they act as a diffuser should there be any trouble. When you get out of the car with these ridiculous socks on, the potential attacker is very likely to take pity on you or at least be distracted, perhaps even burst into hysterics. Of course if you are going into a very dangerous neighbourhood, I would suggest maybe some sort of clownpants would be of great benefit.

I use to have a stuffed monkey in my car...anybody give me trouble I would just wave it out the window. I got more than a few laughs but one has to be careful with a weapon like that.

NAP

Fred Steeves
5th October 2017, 14:35
Yeah, the pepper spray is very good. I don't actually have one at the moment. My sister-in-law has one that's on her key chain. She told me they expire, I'm not sure why that would be. I haven't researched it. But she got herself out of a very dangerous situation when she was just 21 using her wit and words. The brain is always a great tool, provided you keep it sharp.

Wow. She came out and wasn't messing around. I was a little amused when the guy came out, he missed the action. Must've been her gun.

I'll go you one better on the tools of "wit and words" Dreamtimer, that they are *the* # 1 weapon we have at our disposal. A lot of trouble can be avoided by simply maintaining situational awareness at all times, and even when trouble is unavoidable, wit and words can save the day. Thanks for sharing that example.

No, that woman was not messing around was she? The guy at the end amused amused me as well, especially when taking the empty gun out of her hand like he's in charge of the situation now. Like yeah right, she just cleared the house of three armed intruders, one of them is laying dead in the driveway, and you just now crawled your happy ass out of bed LOL!

Dreamtimer
5th October 2017, 15:15
I have a spurtle which is an accoutrement for when I go to the Renn Fest. My friend said to me, "They let you come in wearing a club?" It's 'peace tied', so to speak. It's a kitchen implement designed to stir thick foods, such as oatmeal.

http://lumberjocks.com/assets/pictures/projects/34370-438x.jpg?1233578437

Mine is fatter at the top and tapers to a blunt tip. Some are straight like a dowel.

Emil El Zapato
5th October 2017, 15:43
I'll go you one better on the tools of "wit and words" Dreamtimer, that they are *the* # 1 weapon we have at our disposal. A lot of trouble can be avoided by simply maintaining situational awareness at all times, and even when trouble is unavoidable, wit and words can save the day. Thanks for sharing that example.

No, that woman was not messing around was she? The guy at the end amused amused me as well, especially when taking the empty gun out of her hand like he's in charge of the situation now. Like yeah right, she just cleared the house of three armed intruders, one of them is laying dead in the driveway, and you just now crawled your happy ass out of bed LOL!

Amen to that one, I would have been underneath the bed and would have taken a whole lot of sh*t later. Some women are just cray cray! :)

Fred Steeves
12th October 2017, 10:41
Carjacking Do's & Dont's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCsaykKJfSU

Run 'em over if you have too, do what ya gotta do...

Dumpster Diver
12th October 2017, 17:47

I’m picturing Dreamy the Ninja, tossing knives while holding one in her gold teeth. You perhaps dress in black as well?

...btw, I like throwing stars. No need to think about it.

Dreamtimer
13th October 2017, 02:41
I've finally been sticking the knives in the targets. Huzzah! I've always been pretty good at sticking the stars.

The knife throwing has generally improved my precision in aiming whether it's darts, or balls or knives. I almost stuck the little circle with the dart. But just ended up with a grouping.

So I suppose I could clock someone with a rock or other projectile.

That car jacking is scary. I'd have had my doors locked and would have backed up. I wonder if she knew them, or one of them. That's often how it goes.

Aragorn
13th October 2017, 06:54
This guy is from Tennessee — well, originally from Kentucky, but he lives in Tennessee now. Maybe Fred knows him, because he often travels in order to meet up with other YouTubers, and especially those who have a firearms-related channel of their own. He's a former teacher and security guard, and he strongly advocates gun safety.

His channel is sponsored by several arms-related organizations, as well as by a gun shop and an ammunition manufacturer. His son does the camerawork, but on occasion they switch places. He's got a good, albeit dry sense of humor, and he's very knowledgeable about historic firearms, which are his favorite.

He usually ends his regular review videos with the line "Life is good", and his very short — about 1 minute — FAQ videos with "That's all I've got to say about that." ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKWc7MKx_Tc&t=0s

Wind
13th October 2017, 08:53
I have followed Hickock45 for years on Youtube, he really seems like a great down to earth guy equipped with a good sense of humor. In the comments some people have called him "gun grandpa" which made me laugh. He used to be a teacher, I think. Not sure if he is retired now. Now that is truly a responsible gun owner & enthusiast if I've ever seen one. His videos are hoot to watch.

Dreamtimer
13th October 2017, 12:59
Gun owners do like to rag on knives. This is pretty funny and, he was close, but was his aim very good? It seemed so to me.

I've never fired a gun. (Other than BB, game)

Wind
13th October 2017, 13:30
Yes, hickock45 is a real crack shot, he makes it look so easy. I've never fired a real gun either, just BB and video game guns too... They're not the same thing as real guns of course, but still they have the same basic idea. Real guns are just way more loud and have recoil.

Dreamtimer
13th October 2017, 14:10
The first time I fired a BB gun, my brother's, it kicked back on my shoulder and hurt. I was nine. I was very unhappy and lost a lot of interest in firing guns. He was more interested in shooting turtles than teaching me...

Aragorn
13th October 2017, 16:29
I've never fired a gun. (Other than BB, game)

I've never fired a real gun either [...]

I have. Belgium had compulsory military service up until 1995, and I too have had to put in my time, like most males of my age — even my younger brother has had to serve in the military, somewhere in the late 1980s. I myself was in the army between 1983 and 1984, and I actually turned out the best marksman of the base where I was eventually stationed.

It was an administrative unit, but I had been designated to become an army ranger when I was summoned for duty, and some time after I was released from active duty again, the administrative base where I had spent most of my service was shut down. I then received a letter that I was administratively reassigned to a marines base — the Belgian marines were not a separate contingent like in the USA, but were instead considered part of the regular army.

Not only did we have to serve in the military, but after our active duty, we would also still be part of the reserve for a number of years. Administrative reassignment therefore meant that I was to report for duty at the designated base if Belgium were ever to go to war. You have to keep in mind that this was still in the middle of the Cold War, and, you know, there was always a chance that the Russians would invade us and steal our beer. :rolleyes: :p Anyway, I was fully released from all military obligations at the age of 28, and even the marines base has in the meantime been shut down. The Belgian military has been thoroughly reformed since then, and we now no longer have any marines.

Still, even though I was stationed at an administrative base for most of my military service, we did also have shooting practice. We were shooting the SAFN, a battle rifle in 7.62 x 51 mm NATO, as well as a Sten Gun, which is a World-War-II-era submachine gun designed to fire a whole variety of 9 mm ammunition (albeit not all 9 mm calibers). We only shot the Sten Gun in semi-auto mode, and the sights on the one I was using were incredibly off — it shot way too low and quite a bit to the left. The SAFN on the other hand was pretty accurate, considering that the one I shot had already been in active use since 1949 and that it had been poorly maintained.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/da/FN49left.jpg
FN-49, also known as SAFN (semi-auto version) or AFN (select-fire version)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/99/Pistolet_maszynowy_STEN%2C_Muzeum_Or%C5%82a_Bia%C5 %82ego.jpg/1920px-Pistolet_maszynowy_STEN%2C_Muzeum_Or%C5%82a_Bia%C5 %82ego.jpg

Sten Gun

I have so far never fired any other weapons, but I did have an FN FAL as my personal weapon during my training. That too is a battle rifle in 7.62 x 51 mm NATO, but it looks quite different from the SAFN. I've heard that it absorbs recoil better as well, but I cannot confirm that, given that I've never fired it — I was in hospital with a torn muscle at the time of the first shooting practice.

It was either way a very popular military rifle. It was produced in Belgium as the FAL ("Fusil Automatique Légère"), under license in the UK (by Enfield) as the LAR ("Light Automatic Rifle"), and in Canada (by Diemaco, now called Colt Canada) as the SLR ("Self-Loading Rifle"). It was also used in Australia under that name, but I'm not sure whether those were imported rifles or whether they had been manufactured locally.

The FAL existed in many different variants and was used all over the world. It is still being used by game wardens in South Africa, given that a modern (NATO standard) assault rifle fires the 5.56 x 45 mm round, which has too much penetration and not enough stopping power at close to medium range, and thus it doesn't provide for any adequate defense against a dangerous animal like a lion, a rhino, a hippo or even an elephant.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e7/FN-FAL_belgian.jpeg
FN FAL

7.62 x 51 mm kicks a bit, and especially on such an old rifle with all-wooden furniture — modern rifles have polymer stocks that absorb more recoil — but we were shooting the rifles while lying prone, and then your whole body absorbs the recoil, provided that you press the butt plate tightly against your shoulder. So you feel it, but it doesn't hurt — it's more of a push or a shove than a kick. The submachine gun on the other hand was fired from the shoulder while standing up, in semi-automatic fashion, but you barely feel any recoil with a 9 x 19 mm.

One of the key elements in felt recoil is the weight of the weapon. The heavier it is, the less recoil you feel, because the shock has to overcome the inertia of the weapon. Firing a shoulder-fired weapon is also quite different to firing a single-handed weapon like a pistol. Self-loading firearms — i.e. semi-automatic or select-fire — also absorb more recoil than non-repeating firearms due to the diversion of kinetic energy toward operating the self-repeating action.

But loud it is, yes — or at least, the rifles, because a 9 mm is not all that loud. Part of that loudness is due to the supersonic shock wave — i.e. a sonic boom — riding the bullet, and especially so with the rifles. The muzzle velocity of a 7.62 x 51 mm rifle with a standard-length barrel is about Mach 2, i.e. twice the speed of sound.

We put cotton in our ears, but it was an indoor shooting stand, so the sound reverberated off the concrete walls. The most annoying thing was when you were taking aim with the rifle at 100 meters and then the guy next to you pulled his trigger. There was a wooden wall between us, so you couldn't see the others, and as such, you also didn't know that they were about to open fire. It startles you every time and then it breaks your concentration. ;)

Another thing which I found annoying was that on the 100-meter range, you are so far away from the targets that you have to start counting them from the left to know which one you're supposed to be shooting at. :p

Emil El Zapato
13th October 2017, 18:42
This guy is from Tennessee — well, originally from Kentucky, but he lives in Tennessee now. Maybe Fred knows him, because he often travels in order to meet up with other YouTubers, and especially those who have a firearms-related channel of their own. He's a former teacher and security guard, and he strongly advocates gun safety.

His channel is sponsored by several arms-related organizations, as well as by a gun shop and an ammunition manufacturer. His son does the camerawork, but on occasion they switch places. He's got a good, albeit dry sense of humor, and he's very knowledgeable about historic firearms, which are his favorite.

He usually ends his regular review videos with the line "Life is good", and his very short — about 1 minute — FAQ videos with "That's all I've got to say about that." ;)

that guy is pretty good...carving a pumpkin seems kind of expensive..but hey!!

Now see something you simply won't believe!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5WjkI5FuP0

Muhammad Ali jab - 19/100ths of a second

Emil El Zapato
13th October 2017, 18:52
my stepbrother was always proud of his 7mm mauser...one of those you posted looks similar. If I remember correctly he used to say it was either German or Russian, I don't really remember.

NAP

Dreamtimer
13th October 2017, 20:55
I saw Bob Munden on Stan Lee's show. So cool.

Emil El Zapato
13th October 2017, 22:40
yeah, I thought that was where I saw him. I was laughing when he did the two balloon trick because I only heard one shot and figured he had failed. When they did the play back, I was awestruck!

Wind
13th October 2017, 23:58
Sten Gun, which is a World-War-II-era submachine gun designed to fire a whole variety of 9 mm ammunition (albeit not all 9 mm calibers). We only shot the Sten Gun in semi-auto mode, and the sights on the one I was using were incredibly off — it shot way too low and quite a bit to the left. The SAFN on the other hand was pretty accurate, considering that the one I shot had already been in active use since 1949 and that it had been poorly maintained.

Now that's a classic, or at least it's familiar to me from many movies and WWII documentaries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPGjuiZTuKA

Aragorn
14th October 2017, 05:41
my stepbrother was always proud of his 7mm mauser...one of those you posted looks similar.

That would be the SAFN — they do indeed look similar. My dad was carrying a Mauser when he himself was putting in his military service in the 1950s. ;)

If I remember correctly he used to say it was either German or Russian, I don't really remember.

Mauser is German. ;)

Sten Gun, which is a World-War-II-era submachine gun designed to fire a whole variety of 9 mm ammunition (albeit not all 9 mm calibers). We only shot the Sten Gun in semi-auto mode, and the sights on the one I was using were incredibly off — it shot way too low and quite a bit to the left. The SAFN on the other hand was pretty accurate, considering that the one I shot had already been in active use since 1949 and that it had been poorly maintained.
Now that's a classic, or at least it's familiar to me from many movies and WWII documentaries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPGjuiZTuKA

They are very tricky (and dangerous) to shoot, because they fire from an open bolt. Many submachine guns and almost all full-size machine guns do that, to allow for better cooling. It prolongs the lifetime of the barrel of any weapon designed for full-auto fire — an overheated barrel can easily become warped — and it also prevents the ammunition from getting cooked, which would result in catastrophic self-detonation.

The thing with the Sten Gun however is that there's very little room to put your left hand, and especially when shouldering the weapon for a more precise shot. If you're not careful, then the fingers of your left hand will be right inside the ejection port, and if you were to pull the trigger then, then you'd be cutting off your fingers, because that bolt is like a guillotine. :hmm:

Dreamtimer
14th October 2017, 14:34
I wonder what the statistics are on that? My sister-in-law spoke of having to be careful where she put her thumb or it might get cut off.:shocked:

Fred Steeves
15th October 2017, 14:29
This guy is from Tennessee — well, originally from Kentucky, but he lives in Tennessee now. Maybe Fred knows him,

That's some darn good shooting, but no I don't know him. That video could have just about been shot in our side yard though.

Aragorn
15th October 2017, 15:14

That's some darn good shooting, but no I don't know him. That video could have just about been shot in our side yard though.

Yeah, he's got quite a large compound, most of it being woodland. He's got at least two shooting ranges there, and he regularly takes one of those guns out on a "woods walk" in order to hunt down those dangerous 2-liter soda bottles that are constantly invading his property. :p

Here (https://www.youtube.com/user/hickok45)'s his YouTube channel. ;)

Dreamtimer
16th October 2017, 13:05
We have woodland but you can't shoot because there are houses all around. There's not enough distance. But that doesn't stop the occasional hunter from wandering around back there. They know the deer go where the hunters can't. So the hunters go where they shouldn't. Like in this residential area. :(

Fred Steeves
28th October 2017, 21:18
"Security Theater": Great term, and one worthy of serious consideration on what we may think is keeping us safe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3gdisJ6C8s

Fred Steeves
16th June 2022, 02:47
From the "WTF was that!" department. Always pays to try and maintain situational awareness, whether cop or not so much, because you just. never. know:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcf8mJpoS8s

Emil El Zapato
16th June 2022, 11:03
From the "WTF was that!" department. Always pays to try and maintain situational awareness, whether cop or not so much, because you just. never. know:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcf8mJpoS8s

Crazy mofo, I worked with a guy, white hair beard, you know, the usual, that carried a sword in his car 'for protection'. Of course, he had a car cam to record his daily commute. Apparently, he got into a road rage deal. Pulled out his sword (I can't remember if the other guy had a gun or not) police were called and everyone was sent home. Later the guy got fired for aggressive behavior at work (I took over his position) and me and my manager were given a few days off from work for personal safety. Security was instructed to patrol the grounds to keep a watch for him. He also returned some equipment in a brown paper wrapped box made to look like a bomb. My upper level manager actually opened it without any security alerted. I told him he's either a brave sob or crazy. I'd have to say that's the worst I've seen in a work situation and I've seen plenty.

My daughter is working as a paramedic and gets to wear a body cam. She's happy about it. She did tell me that paramedics are not allowed into an 'uncleared' area to do their work. She said the logic is that emergency medicine cannot work effectively if they are in an 'active' scene. I was relieved to hear that.

Fred Steeves
16th June 2022, 11:37
Crazy mofo, I worked with a guy, white hair beard, you know, the usual, that carried a sword in his car 'for protection'. Of course, he had a car cam to record his daily commute. Apparently, he got into a road rage deal. Pulled out his sword (I can't remember if the other guy had a gun or not) police were called and everyone was sent home. Later the guy got fired for aggressive behavior at work (I took over his position) and me and my manager were given a few days off from work for personal safety. Security was instructed to patrol the grounds to keep a watch for him. He also returned some equipment in a brown paper wrapped box made to look like a bomb. My upper level manager actually opened it without any security alerted. I told him he's either a brave sob or crazy. I'd have to say that's the worst I've seen in a work situation and I've seen plenty.

There's some crazy sons of bitches out there. That was a good idea to give you and your boss a few days off of work to let the guy maybe chill out just a bit, but I think I'd still be keeping my head on a swivel for some time after that. You probably did!

Not trying to reignite the great debate, but these are the kinds of freak encounters people have in mind when they make that decision to start carrying a gun. Just in case...

My daughter is working as a paramedic and gets to wear a body cam. She's happy about it. She did tell me that paramedics are not allowed into an 'uncleared' area to do their work. She said the logic is that emergency medicine cannot work effectively if they are in an 'active' scene. I was relieved to hear that.

That makes sense. You know that actually gets me to thinking though. Medics in the military are trained to do their job on a battlefield and under fire, and surely there are that certain kind of ballsy people who would take the challenge of taking the training to be a paramedic that is allowed to do their job even at an active scene, I'm actually kind of surprised that there hasn't been any ideas put forth to have medics who wear two hats like that.

Cops are only trained on the bear basics so far as I know, like applying tourniquets; but like in an active shooter situation let's say where people are bleeding out, or have sucking chest wounds, a couple of bad ass paramedics strapping side arms could mean the difference of life and death. The cops could continue on with their job, while there's already medical personnel on the scene as well.

Emil El Zapato
16th June 2022, 11:56
There's some crazy sons of bitches out there. That was a good idea to give you and your boss a few days off of work to let the guy maybe chill out just a bit, but I think I'd still be keeping my head on a swivel for some time after that. You probably did!

Not trying to reignite the great debate, but these are the kinds of freak encounters people have in mind when they make that decision to start carrying a gun. Just in case...

That makes sense. You know that actually gets me to thinking though. Medics in the military are trained to do their job on a battlefield and under fire, and surely there are that certain kind of ballsy people who would take the challenge of taking the training to be a paramedic that is allowed to do their job even at an active scene, I'm actually kind of surprised that there hasn't been any ideas put forth to have medics who wear two hats like that.

Cops are only trained on the bear basics so far as I know, like applying tourniquets; but like in an active shooter situation let's say where people are bleeding out, or have sucking chest wounds, a couple of bad ass paramedics strapping side arms could mean the difference of life and death. The cops could continue on with their job, while there's already medical personnel on the scene as well.

yeah, my daughter says that is the role of the Fire department, at least, in the normal course of events. There are always at least a few Fire department personnel that are trained as 'basic EMTs', but that makes me wonder if SWAT teams have dedicated emergency medical units just for those 'battlefield' contingencies.

Fred Steeves
25th July 2022, 23:17
Chalk one up for the good guys (https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/19/us/eli-dicken-indiana-mall-shooting-bystander/index.html)

Fred Steeves
9th August 2023, 11:01
Fair warning:

This episode of "Active Self Protection" gave me a bit of a gut punch. I've never seen 1st degree murder of this order before, only in the movies. Once seen, it's something you can't unsee. However, it's an important reminder of what some people out there are capable of, possibly even a neighbor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id9pd8zfQcs

Lord Sidious
9th August 2023, 16:29
Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarkin