PDA

View Full Version : David R. Hawkins' Consciousness Scale

WantDisclosure
30th July 2017, 10:28
Years ago, for the Avalon I forum, I started a thread about a book I was reading, Power vs. Force by David R. Hawkins, which was originally published in 1994.

Something made me look up that thread again recently because I remembered I was impressed with his Consciousness Scale, because I think it is insightful and thought-provoking.

This is a copy and paste from that thread, which gives an excerpt from the book, explaining what the Consciousness Scale is all about. The excerpt is from pages 240-242 of the book:

Imagine a 'bum' on a street corner: In an upscale neighborhood stands an old man in tattered clothes alone and leaning against the corner of an elegant brownstone. Look at him from the perspective of various levels of consciousness, and note the inconsistency in how he appears to different people and viewpoints.

From the bottom of the scale, at a level of 20 (Shame), the bum is seen to be dirty, disgusting, and disgraceful. From level 30 (Guilt), he'd be blamed for his condition: He deserves what he gets; he's probably a lazy welfare cheat. At 50 (Hopelessness), his plight would appear desperate, a damning piece of evidence to prove that society can't do anything about homelessness. At 75 (Grief), the old man looks tragic, friendless, and forlorn.

At a consciousness level of 100 (Fear), we might see the bum as threatening, a social menace: Perhaps we should call the police before he commits some crime. At 125 (Desire),[b] he might represent a frustrating problem--why doesn't somebody do something? [b]At 150 (Anger),[b] the old man might look like he could be violent; or, on the other hand, one could be furious that such horrible conditions exist in our country today. At [b]175 (Pride) he could be seen as an embarrassment or as lacking the self-respect to better himself. At 200 (Courage), we might be motivated to wonder if there is a local homeless shelter--all he needs is a job and a place to live.

At 250 (Neutrality), the bum looks okay, maybe even interesting. "Live and let live," we might say--after all, he's not hurting anyone. At 310 (Willingness),[b] we might decide to go down and see what we can do to cheer up that fellow on the corner; maybe we'd be motivated to volunteer some time at the local shelter. At [b]350 (Acceptance), the man on the corner appears intriguing: He probably has an interesting story to tell; he's where he is for reasons we may never understand. At 400 (Reason), he's a symptom of the current economic and social malaise, or perhaps a good subject for in-depth psychological study.

At the higher levels, the old man begins to look not only interesting, but friendly--and then lovable. Perhaps we'd then be able to see that he was, in fact, one who had transcended social limits and gone free, a joyful old guy with the wisdom of age in his face and the serenity that comes from indifference to material things. At 600 (Peace), he's revealed as our own self in a temporary expression.

What do members think of that concept/outlook?

Dreamtimer
30th July 2017, 11:56
That's interesting. I don't know the book. I don't understand the numbers but I can see the progression of wisdom in the potential responses. I have a family member who is the kind who will look at the bum, see an interesting man, go talk to him, and find out what he used to be and possibly even manage to start up a business or some other endeavor with the man. So I know at least one person who is up near the 600 level.

Dumpster Diver
30th July 2017, 12:36
This is good insight. I need to copy this one down.

WantDisclosure
30th July 2017, 12:52
I don't understand the numbers but I can see the progression of wisdom in the potential responses.
Maybe he just intuitively made a list of states of consciousness first, and then went back and assigned the numbers to them from low to high.

So I know at least one person who is up near the 600 level.
You are more than blessed!

This is good insight. I need to copy this one down.
And I need to study it! :)

Dreamtimer
30th July 2017, 12:52
Thanks. This person is committed to helping humanity. I hope he succeeds in his endeavors.

WantDisclosure
30th July 2017, 12:53
Thanks. This person is committed to helping humanity. I hope he succeeds in his endeavors.
God bless him!

Wind
30th July 2017, 20:11
It sure sounds interesting, although it makes me think about the validity of the calibration method.

Hawkins already passed away in 2012, I'm sure he's still helping humanity in his own way.

Here is his calibration list of things and people:
https://nancybragin.com/2012/12/29/dr-david-hawkins-calibrated-reading-list/

"Dr. David Hawkins’ List has been calibrated above 500, which is unconditional love.
Hawkins’ Consciousness Scale ranges from 0-1000, (1000 is the Highest Level of pure/consciousness humanly possible.) “The great avatars that set the ultimate paradigm of reality and standard of conduct for all of humanity for thousands of years. Of those, the Lords Krishna, Buddha, Zoroaster, and Jesus Christ all calibrate at 1,000. All the names for Divinity calibrate as Infinity. The revered great sages and their teachings calibrate in the 700 (extremely rare), such Huang Po and Ramana Maharshi.” - Hawkins

Here's more:
http://www.ccrtblog.com/full-list/

PurpleLama
30th July 2017, 20:58
So, keeptrying, you were Seashore on PA1?

Deja vu, all over again. I swear I asked you this before....

PurpleLama
31st July 2017, 12:04
So, keeptrying, you were Seashore on PA1?

Deja vu, all over again. I swear I asked you this before....

Yes, PA member Atlas has previously identified her as such, on her now non-public thread Regarding Confidentiality.

For the perusal of those interested:

http://projectavalon.net/forum/search.php?searchid=5395118

Dumpster Diver
31st July 2017, 14:11
...I think moving has dropped me to 200 or so...on the bum index at least I'm about 400, tho...

pointessa
1st August 2017, 12:48
I thoroughly enjoyed this. It reminds me of a man that figured this out and was able to reach Peace consciousnes on a permanent basis from living in a fear based consciousness most of his life. His name was Lester Levenson and at the age of 40 his lifestyle of greed and unbalance found him laying in bed from multiple life ending health issues. He was told to go home, stay in bed and wait to die.

While there he reviewed his entire life and realized he had been living a life based in fear and other constricting states. He reviewed each event. Saw his original motivating force and changed it to that of love. The results were phenomenal, his body healed and he was given a renewed life. All because he recognized what Mr. Hawkins is talking about here. He devoted his life to teaching others to do what he had done.

WantDisclosure
3rd August 2017, 13:18
Here is his calibration list of things and people:
https://nancybragin.com/2012/12/29/dr-david-hawkins-calibrated-reading-list/

Here's more: http://www.ccrtblog.com/full-list/

Additionally, here is a link to a graphic, which is posted on the website All About Prosperity—because someone by the name of Christie Marie Sheldon used the work of Hawkins in a presentation she was giving—that gives an overview: All About Prosperity (http://www.allaboutprosperity.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/powervsforce.png).

I thoroughly enjoyed this. It reminds me of a man that figured this out and was able to reach Peace consciousnes on a permanent basis from living in a fear based consciousness most of his life. His name was Lester Levenson and at the age of 40 his lifestyle of greed and unbalance found him laying in bed from multiple life ending health issues. He was told to go home, stay in bed and wait to die.

While there he reviewed his entire life and realized he had been living a life based in fear and other constricting states. He reviewed each event. Saw his original motivating force and changed it to that of love. The results were phenomenal, his body healed and he was given a renewed life. All because he recognized what Mr. Hawkins is talking about here. He devoted his life to teaching others to do what he had done.

You've made my day! :unity:

WantDisclosure
3rd August 2017, 13:23
It sure sounds interesting, although it makes me think about the validity of the calibration method.
My understanding is that it came as a result of two decades of work in kinesiology.