Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Self-Reliant Living is Critical

Retired Member
    Thanks

The article below is an very resounding reason why I feel living a self-reliant lifestyle is critical. A couple of dates mentioned in the article are 2030 and 2055 and I feel when people see dates this far out in the future they just automatically dismiss it. But these dates mentioned are when these problems will have doubled. Most fail to realize that the years leading up to the 'doubling' are going to be very difficult.

I know for me personally I find I cannot work as long as I once could out in the heat and yes, I know some of this is my age but I also know I have never experienced heat this soon in the year as well as prolonged cold periods in the winter. So I cannot produce as much as I once could and I can no longer provide fresh farm foods for others because I first have to preserve food for myself and those I am responsible for. This is what the article is saying. Productivity is going to be increasingly and drastically reduced as our weather changes globally. That means less food, less goods, less EVERYTHING.

The 'Globalists' and 'They' have seen this coming for many, many years and have been preparing for it.

Climate change is real folks and the catastrophic results are happening NOW and will increase yearly . . . . . .

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ss-productive/

Scorching Heat Is Driving Down Economic Productivity Around The World
    From construction workers in Dubai to farmers in India, workers around the world are suffering from excessive heat fueled by climate change. This heat is leading to huge productivity losses and mounting economic strain for dozens of countries, according to research published Monday ahead of a U.N. forum.

The study builds on research detailing how extreme heat in some places prevents employees from working during the hottest hours of the day. People simply tire faster and accomplish less the hotter it gets. That lost work time translates into significant hits on the gross domestic product in nations across the globe, and it is a problem that could deepen as the Earth continues to warm.

“For certain tropical countries that are not so well-economically developed, they might lose up to 10 percent of working hours during daylight,” said Tord Kjellstrom, one of the co-authors of the research and a visiting professor at Australian National University. “It’s a whole working month that would be lost because it’s so hot you can’t work.”

[Sweeping study claims that rising temperatures will sharply cut economic productivity]

Kjellstrom and fellow researchers found that in dozens of countries, daylight work hours lost to excessive heat have increased since the 1990s. They also estimate that at the current rate of global warming, that trend will continue. For instance, countries such as India, Vietnam and Indonesia could see the number of lost work hours more than double by 2055 and more than triple by 2085.

The idea that heat and work productivity are intertwined is not a new concept, of course. Researchers have long studied whether the high heat in the southern U.S. hampered economic activity there, even as the North benefited from an industrial boom.

More recently, researchers have begun increasingly to look at the issue through the lens of climate change.

By the mid-1990s, persistently hot, poor countries such as Bangladesh were estimated to have lost 1 to 3 percent of all daylight work hours to extreme heat, which can cause exhaustion, stroke and sometimes death among exposed workers. In West Africa, research found that the number of very hot days per year had doubled since 1960. Serious heat waves have become more prevalent in various parts of the globe. Those figures could only be getting worse over time.

“In Southeast Asia, as much as 15% to 20% of annual work hours may already be lost in heat-exposed jobs, and this may double by 2050 as global climate change progresses,” Kjellstrom and a colleague wrote in a separate study published in the Asia-Pacific Journal of Public Health. They estimated that by 2030, reduced labor productivity could account for losses of “several percent of GDP, which means billions of U.S. dollars even for medium-sized countries.”

The effects of heat stress aren’t felt only at the country level, but also at the human level.

Not only does extreme heat put the health of individual workers in danger, but it also hurts workers and their families financially.

The worker faces income loss when less is achieved within the same period of time, or a loss of leisure/family time if more work is required,” the authors of Monday’s paper wrote, noting that the health of children, women and elderly relatives face increased risks when family incomes are reduced.

[As the climate changes, risks to human health will accelerate, White House warns]

“It’s extremely likely that the poorest countries and the poorest communities are the ones most affected,” Kjellstrom said. “It slows down and undermines efforts to reduce poverty in the world.”

This week’s research adds to data detailing productivity losses due to scorching heat.

A 2010 paper that studied countries in Central America and the Caribbean found that once the temperature surpasses 26 degrees Celsius (78 degrees Fahrenheit), economic output in labor-intensive sectors of the economy starts falling. Specifically, output drops about 2.4 percent for every increase in degree Celsius. This was true of both agricultural and non-agricultural sectors.

A study released in late 2014 by the National Bureau for Economic Research suggested that warmer temperatures result in quantifiable economic costs.

That paper showed a fairly dramatic negative influence of heat on economic productivity. In particular, the authors found that for a single very hot day — warmer than 86 degrees Farenheit — per capita income goes down by $20.56, or 28 percent.
    the bold and underlining are mine for emphasis.
    Last edited by blufire, 19th July 2016 at 23:02.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to blufire For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (23rd July 2016), bsbray (20th July 2016), Dreamtimer (20th July 2016), Elen (20th July 2016), lookbeyond (23rd July 2016), modwiz (20th July 2016), TimeSensitive (20th July 2016)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 313 Posts

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCKkHqlx9dE

Not sure if I did the embed thing correctly but anyone interested in surviving primitive needs to book mark this guy here!

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jengelen For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (23rd July 2016), blufire (23rd July 2016), bsbray (22nd July 2016), Dreamtimer (22nd July 2016), Elen (22nd July 2016), lookbeyond (23rd July 2016), modwiz (22nd July 2016)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Jengelen, I'm amazed. What an amazing structure. What a lot of work. Do you know where he built this?

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (23rd July 2016), blufire (23rd July 2016), bsbray (22nd July 2016), Elen (22nd July 2016), lookbeyond (23rd July 2016)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,133 Times in 710 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Jengelen View Post

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCKkHqlx9dE

Not sure if I did the embed thing correctly but anyone interested in surviving primitive needs to book mark this guy here!
    I dont know if i want to survive if the problems that result on Earth are the result of something devastating like an asteroid hit/massive climate change due to multiple volcanic activity, i dont have the survival instinct to fight or die when it comes down to defending food supplies etc, no guns here and dont want to live in fear of violence.. i would however live happily in this little hut way off grid in a heartbeat if i was on my own

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lookbeyond For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (23rd July 2016), bsbray (23rd July 2016), Cearna (23rd July 2016), Dreamtimer (23rd July 2016), Elen (23rd July 2016), modwiz (23rd July 2016)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    "Dreamtimer: Jengelen, I'm amazed. What an amazing structure. What a lot of work. Do you know where he built this?"

When my friends, brothers and family watched this we all asked that over and over through the films he does. He does an even more permanent type cabin later with a heated slab rock floor even and its much more awesome than this but much more work too! We concluded this guy must be early 30s probably someone that went with his parent maybe to a missionary work overseas perhaps to some jungle environ. for a time living among some natives! A couple of the guys watching though, are pretty sure it could be Arkansas due to some of the trees but I can't say enough on that to know.

I have some others I like also that in a pinch have proven to be quite handy to know!! Learn this one and one day you may thank me!! Although its not quite as simple as it may look. The first time we built some of these it took a bit to get things together just right but it sure works and well!!!

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jengelen For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (23rd July 2016), bsbray (23rd July 2016), Dreamtimer (23rd July 2016), Elen (23rd July 2016), modwiz (23rd July 2016)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    He appeared to be mixing the dirt with water to make the pots. Do you know what kind of soil would be necessary? Here we have sandy soil and also clay. I imagine the clay would work quite well, though I was under the impression it had to be mixed with something. Those thick leaves look like magnolia. We don't have bark like that around here, although I'm sure there's something that would work. Amazing.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

bsbray (23rd July 2016), Elen (23rd July 2016), Jengelen (23rd July 2016), modwiz (23rd July 2016)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Yeah I don't know much about the pottery. I think he mixed some straw in there though and it helps hold it together. I know you need some clay in it also. The red clay Mississippi river mud bottom is the best! MMP or Mississippi Mud Pottery there out of Alton, Il. makes some of the best stuff. My wife favors a lot of that due to her mother's tastes and flare and they have quite valued pieces of some of them but there are normal things simple and I think it has to do with how they bake it.

One way they get this high high gloss almost shiny and the other is more flat and dirt like! But I can't say which is better just that I know personally for my own coffee cup the shiny ones baked as they are are more ceramic than pottery feeling. I like the stone ware pottery look myself and the flat finish of fired vs the baked but again as for time and all that and the mix I really don't know. I've always wanted to do that though and have that on my bucket list before I leave! :-)

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jengelen For This Useful Post:

bsbray (23rd July 2016), Dreamtimer (23rd July 2016), Elen (23rd July 2016), modwiz (23rd July 2016)

(account terminated) United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,648 Times in 2,895 Posts
    If you dig around for old books in a university library you might be able to find more info on these kinds of primitive techniques and what kinds of clay are best and this kind of thing. I've noticed that most modern authors are too far removed from this kind of living to have much direct experience about it, or else they must think that it's common knowledge in their field by now and just don't talk about it.

I read a book published around 1890 on the Mound Builders of the Ohio Valley lately and the author was talking about their use of clay. He described the process by which they made their pottery and it was fairly simple but I don't remember now the specifics of it. For brick the Native Americans would just mix heavy clay soil with reed-like grasses and let it dry out in the sun or under a fire. It worked well enough that they found intact examples of it under the surface soil, that must have been hundreds of years old already. They think a lot of their mounds were regularly faced in brick but that rain over time has eroded them into just a layer of clay soil on the surface.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bsbray For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (23rd July 2016), Elen (24th July 2016), Jengelen (24th July 2016), modwiz (23rd July 2016)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Everyone should have at least one copy of this. Very cool book, lots of info for everything one needs on the homestead! I believe this is now available in places as a free download also... https://www.amazon.com/Back-Basics-T...back+to+basics

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jengelen For This Useful Post:

bsbray (23rd July 2016), Dreamtimer (23rd July 2016), Elen (24th July 2016), lookbeyond (8th November 2016), modwiz (23rd July 2016), TimeSensitive (24th July 2016)

Retired Member Norway
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,318 Times in 5,067 Posts
    Another interesting site.

An extensive list of E-Books (PDF format) of Old Knowledge in the way things were done 100+ years ago.
    These books are a testimony of the skills, ingenuity and resolve of our fore fathers.

All these books are in Public Domain.
    Author of this list is unknown!

http://oldknowledge.rodev.net/

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Elen For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (1st November 2016), Dreamtimer (24th July 2016), Jengelen (24th July 2016), lookbeyond (8th November 2016), modwiz (24th July 2016), TimeSensitive (24th July 2016)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0390e69d01562

More and more of these articles are appearing. "They" are warning us what the future holds . . . . you just have to read between the lines. This rapid climate change is still being largely attributed to carbon emissions and human and activity but I think it is a ruse (to a large degree). These articles never talk about that the same thing is occurring to other planets in our solar system and it illogical to believe that carbon emissions are causing the extremely rapid global climate change . . . . not to mention the pole shift/tilt that is also rapidly increasing.

Could it be more something like this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/21/sc...nine.html?_r=0

Stop and think about how our global governments would actually handle a possible ELE (extinction level event)? My bet would be exactly how they are currently doing it. They are telling us over and over that the ice is melting rapidly and severe climate change is an absolute but are being extremely vague on what is causing it and completely ignore what is happening to other planets in our solar system. They also give no information on how we will correct this other than reduce carbon emissions.

I think "they" are preparing for the worse and hoping for the best. I don't think they know exactly what will happen . . . . just that it is.

Just food for thought and a bi of a bump out of the rut we have been placed in.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blufire For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (3rd November 2016), Elen (1st November 2016), lookbeyond (8th November 2016)