Thread: Solar Eclipse Tomorrow - Thursday 10/23

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,049 Times in 1,574 Posts

Solar Eclipse Tomorrow - Thursday 10/23

SUNSET SOLAR ECLIPSE: On Thursday, Oct. 23rd, the Moon will pass in front of the sun, off center, producing a partial solar eclipse visible from almost all of North America. For animated visibility map which shows when to look go here: http://shadowandsubstance.com/

The event will be particularly beautiful in the Central and Eastern US time zones where maximum eclipse occurs at sunset. Science@NASA has the full story.

http://spaceweather.com/

Don't forget to use the proper glasses when viewing. Welder's #14 recommended. I bought cheapies on Amazon several years ago = 5 for a few dollars, work great.
    Last edited by BabaRa, 23rd October 2014 at 00:16.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BabaRa For This Useful Post:

777 (23rd October 2014), Altaira (23rd October 2014), Frances (24th October 2014), mojo (23rd October 2014), Moonlight (23rd October 2014), Ria (23rd October 2014), Sooz (23rd October 2014)

Retired Member Australia
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,398 Times in 3,150 Posts
    For Ozzies, the solar new moon eclipse takes place 8.56am Friday, (that's Sydney Time). It is the solar new moon eclipse in the sign of Scorpio.

Here is a very good astrology site I follow. Uncannily accurate about 95% of the time, for me anyway. It very accurately predicted what went on for me around the blood moon.

http://astrologyzone.com/forecasts/

If you know your ascendant/rising sign, read that as well as your sun sign.

All in all it appears this will be a very friendly and positive eclipse for everyone. Yay!

Cheers,
    Sooz

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sooz For This Useful Post:

777 (23rd October 2014), Altaira (23rd October 2014), BabaRa (23rd October 2014), Cearna (23rd October 2014), mojo (23rd October 2014), Ria (23rd October 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,684 Times in 1,382 Posts
    I'm boggled. The Earth, the Moon and a big sun Spot are all lining up perfectly.

Why won't I be surprised if we suddenly hear about a kill-shot flair coming straight at us this time?

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Useful Post:

Altaira (23rd October 2014), BabaRa (23rd October 2014), Ria (23rd October 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,049 Times in 1,574 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by norman View Post
    I'm boggled. The Earth, the Moon and a big sun Spot are all lining up perfectly.

Why won't I be surprised if we suddenly hear about a kill-shot flair coming straight at us this time?

Actually . . .! !!!!!!!!!!! . . . maybe a possibility. This from spaceweather.com

LOTS OF SOLAR FLARES: Solar activity is high. Since the week began, giant sunspot AR2192 has produced 27 C-class solar flares, 8 M-class flares, and 2 X-flares. (What do these classifications mean? Check out the Richter Scale of Solar Flares.) The most powerful eruption so far was an X1.6-category blast on Oct 22nd:

Remarkably, not one of the explosions so far has hurled a significant CME toward Earth. The primary effect of the flares has been to ionize Earth's upper atmosphere, causing a series of short-lived HF radio communications blackouts. Such blackouts may be noticed by amateur radio operators, aviators, and mariners.

Earth-effects could increase in the days ahead. AR2192 has an unstable 'beta-gamma-delta' magnetic field that harbors energy for powerful explosions, and the active region is turning toward Earth. NOAA forecasters estimate a 95% chance of M-class flares and a 55% chance of X-flares during the next 24 hours. Solar flare alerts: text, voice

Because the sunspot is so large--now about as wide as the planet Jupiter--people are beginning to notice it at sunset when the sun is dimmed by clouds or haze. Pilot Brian Whittaker took this picture on Oct. 21st while flying 36,000 ft over Resolute, Nunavut, Canada:

Last edited by BabaRa, 23rd October 2014 at 16:46.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BabaRa For This Useful Post:

Altaira (23rd October 2014), mojo (23rd October 2014), Ria (23rd October 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,646 Times in 1,886 Posts
    Astrology Forecast for October 22, 2014

Tom Lescher video
    To consummate this relationship,
    I'm willing to engage,
    As bot a student and a teacher,
    That Love may have it's way.
    Wow! Got caught up in that eclipse whirlwind this week! Are ya feelin it? Crazy wild and unpredictable occurances that rob us of control and expose us to the "whims" of the universe. This solar eclipse is happening as I write these words and I look forward to sharing more later as I am late for a plane...yikes!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?list=UUEs...&v=NgooYq6q8tw 21mins long

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ria For This Useful Post:

mojo (23rd October 2014)